Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:27:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: front brake squeaking...  (Read 5858 times)
yellowjacket

« on: May 08, 2008, 10:32:42 PM »

my M800's front brake squeaks loudly and consistently whenever i use it. it recently had a 6000 service done last Sept (its now at 6450) and just a day before i had the rear tire replaced. any particular reason why its squeaking? anything i can do to fix it? thanks in advance.

03 M800S IE- my first ever bike.
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 03:49:03 AM »

Your brake squeek could be nothing more than brake dust build up on the pads. DO NOT blow them out without some type of breathing filter on.
They could also be glazed, if you want to clean them off to see if it helps try removing the pads and surfacing the pad material on some 220 sandpaper then clean them well and reinstall. That usually takes care of the squeeks.......  well at least until you make more dust. Different pads might keep the build up to a minimum.
Good luck
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 03:54:24 AM »

Another thing you might try is some panic stop practice sessions.  Practice stopping at maximum rate from 70 mph a few times and it might remove the glaze for you.  Plus you'll be gaining some valuable experience that you might need someday.

Wear your best riding gear when you do this, just in case.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 06:35:54 AM »

Another thing you might try is some panic stop practice sessions.  Practice stopping at maximum rate from 70 mph a few times and it might remove the glaze for you.  Plus you'll be gaining some valuable experience that you might need someday.
Wear your best riding gear when you do this, just in case.

Be sure to give the brakes ample time to cool after a couple/few of the "rapid stop" applications. Or you will end up cooking them to the point where you WILL have to sand them or replace them. You might even hot-spot the rotors.  Sad

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:33:49 AM »

Yeah, you've definitely got some glaze action going on there.  Unless of course you're really hard on them or tend to drag them, in which case they might actually be ready for replacement.  When my pads got down low on the material they started squeeking too.  A quick switch to some Galfer pads cured it and gave me a bit more bite too.  Very inexpensive and easy mod that's well worth it.  A quick sanding of your original pads should get rid of the squeek for now, but don't be surprised if it comes back.

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
Juan

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 12:19:48 PM »

Be sure to give the brakes ample time to cool after a couple/few of the "rapid stop" applications. Or you will end up cooking them to the point where you WILL have to sand them or replace them. You might even hot-spot the rotors.  Sad

hehehe... yea, ore making a stopy and end up sanding the tank before painting it again..!! 

Alex

2000 M900ie

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 01:21:59 PM »

Just give up, having perfect brakes is hopeless. I recently replaced my whole setup (rotors, pads, done by a very reputable shop). My squeeking and pulsing came back within a few months.  Cry I live with it, I guess.

Aftermarket: RoadRacing modified under-engine exhaust, revalved 996 forks, ProCutting half-open clutch, CC triple and pressure plate, 999 clipons, BMC filter, CRG-LS mirrors, PC3, Rizoma rearsets, heated grips, +2 teeth in rear gearing, Veypor VR2 computer, MBP collets, Yoyodyne slave, Galfer waves front and rear, misc CF (mostly faded), CRG clutch/brake levers.
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »

Just give up, having perfect brakes is hopeless. I recently replaced my whole setup (rotors, pads, done by a very reputable shop). My squeeking and pulsing came back within a few months.  Cry I live with it, I guess.
Nope, sorry.  You don't have to put up with inadequate brakes.  If your pads and rotors are in good shape, start by sanding the friction surface of the pads with some 80-100 grit paper, making sure they stay flat.  Take the rotors off and clean them with brake cleaner and some 200 grit wet paper.  The brake cleaner is tough on paint so be careful with it.  Remount the rotors and pads and go for a ride.  On an empty road do 6-8 really hard stops from 60 or so to almost stopping,  one right after the other.  Don't come to a complete stop or you may hot spot your rotors.   Do 3-4 more from 80 or so, again coming to almost but not quite a full stop.  You'll probably smell your pads, that's good.  Continue to ride until the brakes are cool.  Your trying to deposit a thin, consistent layer of friction material on the rotors, this is what gives them their grip, and if it's uneven, this is what causes noise, juddering, and inconsistent braking.  There was a good link on TOB about doing this.  I'd go get it, but, well,  they won't let me anymore  Wink

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
sydmonster
Street_Cred_Points.com CEO

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »

my M800's front brake squeaks loudly and consistently whenever i use it. it recently had a 6000 service done last Sept (its now at 6450) and just a day before i had the rear tire replaced. any particular reason why its squeaking? anything i can do to fix it? thanks in advance.

Also make sure after removing the pads (as suggested above) that the calipers them selves are clean. In particular the surfaces on which the pads slide, such as the pins and the landings on the caliper. These sometimes build up with crud. They can cause the pad to contact the disk at a squewed angle. This funny angle can often cause noise.
 So clean those calipers well, an old toothbrush can really get in there well. Good luck - Chris

...Sydmonster - down under
Contact me about your mods and what Street Cred Points you can earn!
yellowjacket

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 05:29:47 PM »

yeah, i'm a total newbie to motorcycles and not mechanically incline (yet). what could happen if i let it wait until the next check-up (which could be a while since the bike just had its 6k done). btw thanks for all the advice. its nice to know there's a place i can go for a wealth of sound knowledge.

03 M800S IE- my first ever bike.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »

Everything you need to know about brakes is linked on this page.

http://www.braketech.com/tech_talk.php

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: