Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 07:01:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 05 Monster s2r 800 issue - Any suggestions?  (Read 7475 times)
TimJohannsen

« on: May 09, 2008, 03:44:57 AM »

I just bought an 05 Monster S2R 800.  The guy said the bike has been sitting for a little over a year.  He road it just a couple times.  When I went to purchase it, the bike idled low and stalled after the rpms were rev'd.  I took it for a test ride and it road very choppy at lower rpms.  It bucked a bit and was not a smooth ride. 
I'm still having these problems.  It stalls easily, particularly after it is warmed up.  I'm keeping it from stalling by giving it some gas when I come to a stop, but if I don't it basically just stalls.  The bike rides fine at high rpms.  But again, at low rpms it is choppy/jumpy and makes a little click/hissing sounds now and again. 
I've been watching the temp and it doesn't go any higher than about 220 or so.
I made an appt with a Ducati dealer but they don't have an opening until the 20th.  He suggested I put Chevron Techtron in to clean up the gas system.  I did that and also put some STP fuel injection cleaner a couple days before that.  Chevron Techtron recommended that the gas tank be almost empty when it is put in but I just put it in on a full tank of gas...I didn't know if that was a big deal.
Does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations?  Does it sounds like a serious/expensive problem?
Thanks a lot for any advice/suggestions.
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 04:01:13 AM »

A few things to check/do
  • make sure there is no animals living in the airbox
make sure your idle is at or around 1200rpm +- 100rpm
start looking for someone in your area that can do a good fuel injection set-up
[/list]
 what do the spark plugs look like? is sounds rich
the clicking and hissing is the fuel injectors and the air bypass , when the air bypass screws are out a bunch it can get loud. screwing these in will richen the bike and lower the idle. I would bet that they have been used to get the idle up and that is why they are loud.

The techtron will work fine as you have it. I doubt that it will help what you have described.
I would do the easy things yourself (new plugs and check air filter) and find someone to set up the fuel injection properly. plan on around 1-2 hours of shop time to set it up. They should also be able to read any codes if there is something wrong.
good luck
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 04:22:16 AM »

When you say it's choppy at lower RPMs - can you give a number?

Monsters are geared tall from the factory, so they need some revs on them to keep from lugging.  If you're trying to ride too low in the rpm range, the bike will feel lurchy/choppy.

Sure after sitting it might need some care - but it's possibloe that if you're new to the bike, it could be a getting used to it issue too.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
TimJohannsen

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 06:07:08 AM »

A few things to check/do
    • make sure there is no animals living in the airbox
    make sure your idle is at or around 1200rpm +- 100rpm
    start looking for someone in your area that can do a good fuel injection set-up
    [/list]
     what do the spark plugs look like? is sounds rich
    the clicking and hissing is the fuel injectors and the air bypass , when the air bypass screws are out a bunch it can get loud. screwing these in will richen the bike and lower the idle. I would bet that they have been used to get the idle up and that is why they are loud.

The techtron will work fine as you have it. I doubt that it will help what you have described.
    I would do the easy things yourself (new plugs and check air filter) and find someone to set up the fuel injection properly. plan on around 1-2 hours of shop time to set it up. They should also be able to read any codes if there is something wrong.
    good luck

Thanks a lot.  I did check the air filter and that is clear.  But I will check out the other things.  That helped a lot.
    TimJohannsen

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 06:08:16 AM »

When you say it's choppy at lower RPMs - can you give a number?

Monsters are geared tall from the factory, so they need some revs on them to keep from lugging.  If you're trying to ride too low in the rpm range, the bike will feel lurchy/choppy.

Sure after sitting it might need some care - but it's possibloe that if you're new to the bike, it could be a getting used to it issue too.

I would say it gets choppy with anything under 4000 rpms. 
    duckwrench13

This thing sounds broken...

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »

If I remember correctly, the stock setting for the air bypass screws should be about 3/4 of a turn out from full closed. I've seen some out as little as 1/4, and some as much as 1 1/2 turns, but this was on rare occasions. Set 'em to 3/4 and go from there. At least you will have a baseline to work from.

Also, check to insure that all of the emissions vacuum lines are intact and attached. A disconnected, damaged, or improperly routed line can cause a vacuum leak, and the hissing sound, and the rough idle.

Definitely, have the dealer do a thorough look-see over all of the bits while it's in. Spend a little $ now, save a ton $$$$ later!! wt:

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Gettin' blow'd up sucks!
    Combat Veteran, Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan 2006-2007
    Ducatiloo

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 12:54:28 PM »

What do your plugs look like?

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
    TimJohannsen

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 03:43:12 PM »

What do your plugs look like?
    I haven't looked at the spark plugs...but it is an 05...should I still check them?
    TimJohannsen

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »

If I remember correctly, the stock setting for the air bypass screws should be about 3/4 of a turn out from full closed. I've seen some out as little as 1/4, and some as much as 1 1/2 turns, but this was on rare occasions. Set 'em to 3/4 and go from there. At least you will have a baseline to work from.

Also, check to insure that all of the emissions vacuum lines are intact and attached. A disconnected, damaged, or improperly routed line can cause a vacuum leak, and the hissing sound, and the rough idle.

Definitely, have the dealer do a thorough look-see over all of the bits while it's in. Spend a little $ now, save a ton $$$$ later!! wt:
    I have done much work on my own bikes.  Are the air bypass screws easy to get to?  Where would I look for them to adjust them properly.  Yeah...I am going to have the Ducati dealer take a good look at the bike but unfortunately I have to wait a couple more weeks.

Do you think that these symptoms would get better by riding it more?  If it were deposits in the fuel system or clogged fuel injectors?  Because I don't know if I should ride it more before I bring it to the dealer or ride it less.
    sydmonster
    Street_Cred_Points.com CEO

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 04:25:01 PM »

Tim,
     Can i suggest;
    a) dump all the fuel out of it
    b) Do an oil & oil filter change
    c) Check condition of belts
    d) refill with new fresh petrol altogether (fuel ages and certain chemicals seperate/seep in the fuel after a while. These build up gumption and could clog your fuel injectors, they could also clog up your fuel pump, fuel filter etc.. thus could explain the jerk ride as the bike isn't getting it fuel correctly, similar things happen with oil. It too ages and looses lubrication properties.)
    e) Replace the spark plugs, their very cheap (think $5 each), it will also help.
    f) Check chain and all moving parts.
    g) Invest in a service manual, it will tell you what to check and how.

Best to you.

...Sydmonster - down under
    Contact me about your mods and what Street Cred Points you can earn!
    Ducatiloo

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 07:31:02 PM »

I haven't looked at the spark plugs...but it is an 05...should I still check them?

I replace mine every other year, at the most.  It's cheep maintenance.

Everything sydmonster said is great troubleshooting.

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
    Pages: [1]   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to: