Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 04:04:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2,4,6 cylinders?! Road Trip!  (Read 2781 times)
GLantern

08 Red 1098, 07 DRZ400S

« on: September 23, 2008, 08:07:32 PM »

2 weekends ago i went on a road trip and i finally decided to post up about it.  Its not nearly as epic as those US rides but meant a lot to me and was fun none the less.  Here goes!!

Some backstory, recently my brother had got into riding motorcycles.  I had always been into it along with my father.  When i bought the monster my bro decided to purchase a ninja650r which he decided quickly was not enough bike and he upgraded to a 08 cbr600rr.  He loved this thing to death and after i rode it a bit i realized that all that extra power was not that scary and well with Ducati's financing and some savings in hand i purchased the 1098.  However my brother had left for the army before i bought it and i became very distraught we would not have any epic adventures together on these two beasts Cry  We had gone on many with the ninja and monster.  I got to planning and decided what better way to celebrate him graduating boot camp and coming home then planning a weekend trip with him and my father waytogo!

After some planning i decided to go to Connecticut for the trip and had a great route planned with about 300miles each day.  I would have gone 500+ but i quickly realized my family is not used to riding with Goldenchild Wink and that much distance could become an issue.  But trouble was afoot!  3 weeks before my brother returns the 1098 electronics go bellyup!  I rush her to the dealer and say my prayers.  I had a trip to florida with the GF planned a week before my brother came home so i figured by the time i got back it would all be ready togo.

Well i land on a saturday with no phone call from the dealer.  I get home to my brother, who returned the previous day, to see his face just as sad as mine Undecided.  He was dieing to see the new bike and try her out but when i called the dealer told me end of the week.  Luckily the trip was still two weekends off and they said all the parts were there and ready to be put on......Later that week i call again and find out its done and ready for pickup but its waiting for approval from Ducati?! WTF MATE, if ducati doesn't approve it who will pay for it, isnt the work approved already?  After calling everyday for a week and explaining why i needed the bike by thursday at the latest I managed to pick it up that thursday.  Ducati apparently had not approved the work yet but they gave it to me anyways. Huh?

It is now September 11th, a sad day for all but with a little bit of happiness for me, and i take her home and get everything together.  But another snag hits all of CT is about to get hit by a storm from friday till sunday  bang head.  I'm completely gunhoe and want to go regardless but my brother gives some speech about endangering military property and he can get in trouble if he gets hurt.  After cooling off i completely re do the route and take us West and into pennsylvania away from the storms [moto].

The 12th i commuted to work on my bike and when i go to leave it begins to POUR!!  I have my nice new perforated leather jacket on and its not the least bit waterproof.  I get soaked and when i get home i stuff everything with paper towels and hope for dry leather in the AM.  I get my brother's ass in gear and set his bike up for the trip in the meantime prepping the saddlebags, lubing the chain, checking tire pressure etc.  A quick phone call to my dad and we have a 6am departure time.  The next morning bright and early my dad shows up and all the bikes are packed and ready togo, after dragging my brother out of bed. We go over the route one more time and i tape the Saturday portion to my tank.  I show my dad the sunday portion and well i thought he took it but i found out about 6 hours later i left it on the kitchen table  laughingdp. I squeeze into my still damp leathers and at  6am we finally roll out the Ducati 1098 my  twin, the Honda CBR600RR the 4 and my Dad's big Honda Valkyrie the 6 Evil.

We were off finally i was worried we would not make it with all the issues i ran into to but we did!  First stop was in Riverhead for some gas and then we flew down the LIE, through the city and a quick stop in Paterson, NJ for gas again.  One thing i learned about maps quickly is just because its a big town on the map it does not mean its a very clean or friendly town.  We got gas as fast as possible and left i did not want to stick around here long.  A little farther down we found a stop for food and had some Panera Bread mmm

The route would take us through the delaware water gap and follow the scenic route all the way to Towanda, PA.  http://tinyurl.com/4zwssr  Most of the route was dry by the time we hit the delaware water gap.  After some uturns we find what was called Old Mine Rd, on the map it was 12 miles and according to the directions it would take 45minutes Huh?  I was curious and when we found it turns out it had a 15mph speed limit since it was through a state park.  Along the way my dad managed to decapitate a little chipmunk which i thought he just grazed.  My brother confirmed the kill.......it was decapitated......dad never felt the same after this  laughingdp.  We tried to hit aa squirrel but they were all too fast.  We finally exited the mine road and found our way to the next set of backroads.

This set was relatively straightforward except we managed to go completely in a circle at one point.  We were about an hour from Scranton, PA and my brother was getting tired. We stopped at a nice diner with some cheesesteaks and lost of pics of old cars.  When we ordered the waitress asked if those were our bikes outside i politely told her they were.  Of course it was just the 3 of us in this diner so this might have to go on the dumbest thing asked about your bike thread  bang head

My brother quickly losing steam, at this point we decided to cut the route a bit short and stay in scranton for the night.  As soon as i hopped on the highway for scranton i immedietely regretted it.  My leathers had finally dried completely from the night before at noon but that would not hold. the sky opened up again and the rain came!!  Once again i was soaked to the bone, not to mention the signs said scranton was 2 miles which was a dirty lie.  We all learned riding in the rain at highway speeds the hardway  applause We couldnt find any good hotels in the city so we drove a bit out of it and found a nice hotel on the outskirts.  After a nap and hanging up my leathers again..............we got food at a charlie browns and man was it terrible!!  I am never eating there again.

My dad planned  out the route back for sunday and we decided he would lead the following day since he could strap a whole map to his tank.  I need a gps next time Roll Eyes.  After some Man vs Wild, Bear Grylls is the shiT!!  Sleep finally hit.  In the am we stopped real quick at the train museum in Scranton.  My mother took my brother and i there when we were little and wanted an updated picture so we got her one, or two.  My camera started to screw up at this point so the pics get crappy quick.

After the museum the roads we found were amazing everywhere we went the roads had sweeping turns and were completely empty.  It was just the 3 of us cruising down the road.  I remember coming over this one hill and seeing for miles with nobody else ahead of us.  I tried for some action shots but they came out pretty bad ill throw one up though, camera is in for repair right now  bang head

The rest of the ride involved a stop at Arby's for some grub and a cruise down 209 to 78 which took us back to the island and tons of traffic.  The roads were a lot of fun on the way back and i had a blast and the trip made memories i will always enjoy with my brother and father.  I'm glad it all worked out in the end and we got to go.  In total we were just shy of 600miles for the trip, not US status but worthwhile none the less waytogo

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 08:09:23 AM by GLantern » Logged

"Just ride and never ever look back"

www.suspectsunlimited.com
tommys67
Captain Slow

'08 Fireblade

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:13:15 PM »

Awesome write up!!!

I hope to ride someday with my sons the way you guys do with your dad!

You don't need to be told this, but you need a new camera. Grin  Great pics nonetheless!!

I live my life as a warning to others.
Founder - www.suspectsunlimited.com
goldenchild

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 05:04:59 AM »

Great trip report Ben! It does my heart good to finally see other folks taking their bikes on trips! It's a motorcycle afterall, think "Easyrider" instead of "She's having a baby" (too many folks treat their bikes as such IMO). If this keeps up we'll need to petition the heads of the DMF to create a road trip report board. Or, we can just keep it here.

Me and the secret society/crew that can't be named have a 10 year plan... in 10 years we'll all buy Beemer GS's, take 4 months off from life and ride down through South America, through Patagonia, and onto the tip of Chile and back again!

The area of PA you were in - Towanda, Scranton, etc, has many a good road to ride (but you skirted all of them!!). We've been spending most of this season in PA since the 'Skills and PJ are overdone, we're heading to the area this weekend as a matter of fact. Just remember to watch out for random gravel that's seems to be ever present there.

Once again, great report and THANKS for sharing!

GLantern

08 Red 1098, 07 DRZ400S

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 05:42:33 AM »

You don't need to be told this, but you need a new camera. Grin  Great pics nonetheless!!

Yeah well this should be the last repair on it then they will lemon it when it breaks next.  I have an olympus sw720, the waterproof and shock resistant one.  And its GREAT when its working but a little past its prime i think.  Its about 2 years old and with what my cameras go through i have been very happy with its durability to say the least.  It has gone mountain biking, surfing, jetskiing, motorcycling, longboarding, snowboarding and made it through numerous whipeouts with nary a scratch.  The next one will be the updated model of this one, should be a lot tougher.

Great trip report Ben! It does my heart good to finally see other folks taking their bikes on trips! It's a motorcycle afterall, think "Easyrider" instead of "She's having a baby" (too many folks treat their bikes as such IMO).

I can't agree more!
Me and the secret society/crew that can't be named have a 10 year plan... in 10 years we'll all buy Beemer GS's, take 4 months off from life and ride down through South America, through Patagonia, and onto the tip of Chile and back again!

The area of PA you were in - Towanda, Scranton, etc, has many a good road to ride (but you skirted all of them!!). We've been spending most of this season in PA since the 'Skills and PJ are overdone, we're heading to the area this weekend as a matter of fact. Just remember to watch out for random gravel that's seems to be ever present there.

My next bike i intend to get an adventure bike, my bro is picking up an 800gs since he just got shipped off to texas, ill have to go down there and test ride it for him back to long island Roll Eyes.

Also the roads on the way home were a lot more technical than the trip there i just unfortunetaly didn't have it all mapped out, but not as tough as yours GC.  I wanted to keep the pace a little more relaxed since it was more about spending time with my brother and father, and there riding differs from my usual stints.  But i did partake in some good ol hooliganism when the corners presented themselves!  Glad you enjoyed the write up!!

Pakhan

This is for Pris!

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 10:05:32 AM »

Sounds like a great trip.  It's always fun if you can do that with family, you are lucky.  you guys should plan some more trips.

"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines."   m620 749s r6

mookieo2

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 12:20:45 PM »

Looks like a great trip w/ the family. Good wright up. When I get my bike back we have to get out again. maybe next weekend.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 12:47:46 PM by mookieo2 » Logged
GLantern

08 Red 1098, 07 DRZ400S

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 12:38:42 PM »

Looks like a great trip w/ the family. Good wright up. When I get my bike back we have to get out agaon. maybe next weekend.

You just say the word!

androgynous

if you need change in your life im your cashier

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 05:18:28 PM »

cool trip
wish my dad and I could take some time off so we could squeeze in a ride before fall

extremely jealous   

If you need change in your life I'm your cashier
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: