Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 18, 2024, 10:32:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lane splitting in TX  (Read 12124 times)
BarneePhife

Nip it! In the bud!

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 07:37:40 AM »

...the ever so subtle threat to blow my make the beast with two backsing head off if I ever got in front of HER again.  

welcome to Texas!!

Did you still have your CA plates on at the time?

I think that's the official TX greeting to Yankees and "those people" from California.  Kiss

• 2006 Ducati SportClassic 1000
  • 1978 Yamaha GT 80

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 07:42:21 AM »

I wouldn't lane split. Dallas drivers are the worst, & many are packing Tongue
I'll weave in & out a little, but I'm very careful...

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Cyclone
DAS BOOT!

CHAT & SCAT !

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 08:02:08 AM »

This is how you lane split   Grin everything the same other than  we dont usally blow red lights...  laughingdp

Man, this Greek dude must have teflon coated fairings covered in butter, and a death wish !  Obviously he has the skill !  Sometimes I wonder if on-board cameras encourage bad behavior Huh?

I'm in Dallas traffic a lot and only split once for a short distance in stop & go traffic on Woodall just to move away from a car of manics who thought racing forward & slamming on the brakes to stop a foot away from me was funny !  So I would lane split if I thought my life depended on it - I have also run red lights to avoid being hassled by aggressive people walking up to me in bad areas !  My theory is better to answer to a Leo than a wacko !

'96 BMW R11 Gs - '72 Honda CT 90
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa
fastwin
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 08:31:20 AM »

Yep, it's nothing but a combat zone out there. I'd rather go to Iraq and look for roadside bombs than ride/drive in this town sometimes. Tongue Dumbass nuts, that's what we have for drivers in DFW.
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 08:36:54 AM »

No sh!t...

Between track days, & HC & AR trips, & the freakin' hot summers, I just don't have much desire to ride in town.

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
andym

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 09:05:17 AM »

I'm glad this tread came up, I was going to ask a similar same question.

I have recently moved here from London and I am used to filtering, as we call it.  I can live with the queuing at lights but sitting in stop go traffic on the toll way is crazy to me.

I have only seen one bike filter the outside and middle lane since being here but I often see bikes ride down the shoulder, IMHO riding the shoulder has to be worse than filtering between stationary cages, not to mention the crap you are riding through, how would this be seen by the police?

I feel safer between cages than I do sat there waiting for one to rear end me but I am apprehensive to do it as I do not want tickets.  I have read that Dallas cage drivers are bad but a driver chatting on the phone is distracted where ever you live.  It is the ones that pay attention that may concern me, I am used to cars moving to allow me through, I can't see that happening here but how many would actually try to hit me?

M696 Dark
dallas2r

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 09:21:28 AM »

I'm glad this tread came up, I was going to ask a similar same question.

I have recently moved here from London and I am used to filtering, as we call it.  I can live with the queuing at lights but sitting in stop go traffic on the toll way is crazy to me.

I have only seen one bike filter the outside and middle lane since being here but I often see bikes ride down the shoulder, IMHO riding the shoulder has to be worse than filtering between stationary cages, not to mention the crap you are riding through, how would this be seen by the police?

I feel safer between cages than I do sat there waiting for one to rear end me but I am apprehensive to do it as I do not want tickets.  I have read that Dallas cage drivers are bad but a driver chatting on the phone is distracted where ever you live.  It is the ones that pay attention that may concern me, I am used to cars moving to allow me through, I can't see that happening here but how many would actually try to hit me?

Hey there, glad you posted up. Welcome.

I'm with the other folks here in that I wouldn't feel safe lane-splitting in Dallas. I'm less worried about the distracted drivers because they're usually easy to spot; I'm most afraid of the aggressive people who feel that their current 10ft of pavement is their property and they'll guard it as such. I've seen plenty of people (usually guys in trucks) dart into the shoulder to block cars driving there, so I wouldn't put it past them to block a motorcyclists path.

Even if a law were passed today that legalized lane-splitting or "filtering", I still wouldn't do it until the general population was clear on the new rules.

2007 Monster S2R1000
2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring/Urban

A motorcycle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no motorcycle. -Unknown
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 09:30:09 AM »

not that I condone such "transgressions" but if I were to ever "split traffic" (not that have ever done so) I would rather do it at 90 than 20!  People sitting in traffic are pissed and bored! I'm not going through them!  But, buzz a car doing 70 at 90 and they never see you coming until you are past them, again,  I'm not speaking from experience...

he understands me  Cry Cry Cry

bpc
pipeliner1978
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 10:18:02 AM »

he understands me  Cry Cry Cry

bpc
Wink
andym

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 12:21:14 PM »

I guess you all know how the drivers are around here far better than I do so I will take your advice.  I'll have to change my riding from how I was taught in England, even on the test you filter as long as it is safe to do so.

M696 Dark
pipeliner1978
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 12:22:42 PM »

even on the test you filter as long as it is safe to do so.
I don't know what you mean.....
andym

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 12:34:13 PM »

I don't know what you mean.....

In the UK it is okay to filter on your bike test.  The test is to prove that you can ride safely,  if there is a queue at traffic lights get to the front, you are safer being first away from the lights than sat in a queue.

M696 Dark
pipeliner1978
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 12:39:54 PM »

In the UK it is okay to filter on your bike test.  The test is to prove that you can ride safely,  if there is a queue at traffic lights get to the front, you are safer being first away from the lights than sat in a queue.
never taken a bike test
pipeliner1978
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2008, 12:40:17 PM »

never taken a bike test
I should do that one of these days
Kevin848

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 12:43:01 PM »

I should do that one of these days

If you have passed a MSF Course you do not need to take a riding test to get an "M" endorsement but there is still a written exam.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: