Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 04:46:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10/5  (Read 11229 times)
Grrrly

Industrial Grrrl

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2008, 06:35:18 AM »

I'm glad you're ok Mookie.  

dizzle, I think you hit the nail on the head
it happened because my confidence was getting bigger than my skills.

*damn, there's more I want to write but I need to go get my car inspected (expired sept 30) ..... bbl

Pakhan

This is for Pris!

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008, 08:04:16 AM »

Mookie glad your OK.  As already said before, don't be too hard on yourself.  Just take it easy and comfortable.  It's all part of riding.

GC as said before too, don't be too hard on YOURSELF.  This is dangerous fun, bottom line.  People will dump and it's ridiculous to hold yourself responsible every time, I understand why you do though.  If you need to take a breather from posting rides to collect yourself I can understand that, but to cancel altogether because of this makes no sense.

"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines."   m620 749s r6

www.suspectsunlimited.com
mookieo2

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 09:19:12 AM »

I`m not being hard on myself. I`m fine. Gonna get back next season w/ a new whip. Like I said, I`m  going to pursue some more professional lessons. I am a very technical person and like to learn that way.  I think a few track days w/ instruction from the pros will help. Dizzle got it right, overconfidence is not good.

I feal worse for GC as I know he takes it personally. It wasn`t his fault and shouldn`t stop posting rides. Take a break from it maybe but not to end it. I think he and the U.S. are a main staple of this board and I look forward to hearng about there adventures( even if they aren`t posted for outsiders to join) I had my family over the other day and was showing them tommy`s videos on youtube through my apple tv. That`s how much i lkie hearing about there travels.
GoldenChild, I feel as if you can't stop posting rides. This forum is set-up for people to be able to meet with and ride with new people who have the same bike, interests, etc. That said people gotta accept responsibility for their own actions, it's not your fault that shit went down. But for the forward progress of this site, NYMMC, and the US's you gotta post up rides. People gotta rid at their own limits.
+1

For now fishing season is underway my adrenaline fix will be coming from a big striper on my line and some winter surfing. Nothing like big winter barrels in the freezing rain.

When we going karting?
Rocky point closes the 31st GC if you wanna go let me know.
goldenchild

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 11:12:57 AM »

Well well well, I for one am VERY HAPPY to see all the recent activity on this board lately, especially since the season is winding down.. keep it up folks as it does my heart good.

Here's the thing - I've spent some time doing some self evaluation as a rider and as a ride leader, I had this long manifesto written out but I decided against posting it up for my own reasons. I also wanted to spare you all the headache of reading it all. Instead, I'll post up the important points -

- My standards of safety and my levels of comfort are very different than most of yours. I will push myself to my limits and I will try to push the bike to it's limits. I don't do this on every ride, in fact, it's rare that I do it at all but it does happen. Given these facts, you all need to know that you should not try to follow me. Not because your riding ability may be different than mine, not because you feel like you should. You shouldn't follow me because my brain lacks the all important "self preservation" component. In a nutshell, there it is.

- When leading a group I care a lot about everyone behind me and I feel like everyone's safety is my responsibility but what it really comes down to is that everyone needs to be responsible for themselves as there's only so much I can do. I can warn you not to follow me, I can warn you about certain sections of road but when we're in the heat of the moment, one's first intention is to keep up and not get dropped by the rider in front of them. This is when folks start riding over their head and beyond their abilities which brings me to the conundrum - knowing that this will inevitably happen, what's my responsibility in all of it? Is it my fault for going at what I would call a "fun" pace, or is it the individual's fault for not recognizing their limits? Personally, I think it's both which is why I'm being hard on myself.

What this basically means has already been said - recognize your personal limits and stay within them. Allow me the pleasure and honor of leading you, but for cripes sake, don't try to follow. In a nutshell, there it is.

I'd really HATE to have to stop posting up for rides since I love riding with new people and sharing the same experiences. This is how the US's "found" each other, through this forum and through these rides and when I see the look on people's faces after a fun road, it really does means a lot to me. If people can wear their gear, stay within their skill and comfort level, AND have a shit ton of fun riding their motorcycles with a bunch of friends, then we can make this happen.

GLantern

08 Red 1098, 07 DRZ400S

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 11:36:39 AM »

Well well well, I for one am VERY HAPPY to see all the recent activity on this board lately, especially since the season is winding down.. keep it up folks as it does my heart good.

Here's the thing - I've spent some time doing some self evaluation as a rider and as a ride leader, I had this long manifesto written out but I decided against posting it up for my own reasons. I also wanted to spare you all the headache of reading it all. Instead, I'll post up the important points -

- My standards of safety and my levels of comfort are very different than most of yours. I will push myself to my limits and I will try to push the bike to it's limits. I don't do this on every ride, in fact, it's rare that I do it at all but it does happen. Given these facts, you all need to know that you should not try to follow me. Not because your riding ability may be different than mine, not because you feel like you should. You shouldn't follow me because my brain lacks the all important "self preservation" component. In a nutshell, there it is.

- When leading a group I care a lot about everyone behind me and I feel like everyone's safety is my responsibility but what it really comes down to is that everyone needs to be responsible for themselves as there's only so much I can do. I can warn you not to follow me, I can warn you about certain sections of road but when we're in the heat of the moment, one's first intention is to keep up and not get dropped by the rider in front of them. This is when folks start riding over their head and beyond their abilities which brings me to the conundrum - knowing that this will inevitably happen, what's my responsibility in all of it? Is it my fault for going at what I would call a "fun" pace, or is it the individual's fault for not recognizing their limits? Personally, I think it's both which is why I'm being hard on myself.

What this basically means has already been said - recognize your personal limits and stay within them. Allow me the pleasure and honor of leading you, but for cripes sake, don't try to follow. In a nutshell, there it is.

I'd really HATE to have to stop posting up for rides since I love riding with new people and sharing the same experiences. This is how the US's "found" each other, through this forum and through these rides and when I see the look on people's faces after a fun road, it really does means a lot to me. If people can wear their gear, stay within their skill and comfort level, AND have a shit ton of fun riding their motorcycles with a bunch of friends, then we can make this happen.

In a Nutshell, well said waytogo

"Just ride and never ever look back"

Cru Jones
Dog's Bollocks

RC51

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 11:50:27 AM »

In a Nutshell, well said waytogo
laughingdp

+1 Couldn't have said that better.

Usually Suspect
Grrrly

Industrial Grrrl

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 02:09:10 PM »

Is it my fault for going at what I would call a "fun" pace, or..............

NO, it's not your fault, as we all know you will wait for everyone at the end of the road or next turnoff, so no one is being left behind.

GC, I appreciate that you acknowledge that you don't have that "self-preservation" mode.  This is something that I have to struggle with every time I ride on the track.   I'm going to speak for myself here, but as a female I think I have had a lot of fear instilled in me, I think it's a mix of nurture and nature.  I think males don't have that same level of fear that I have.  Personally I think it's genetic and remnants of our ancient ways of life  (males being the hunters (which can usually be life threatening),  and the women being the gatherers, a relatively safe activity).   My problem I've been having as late are mental.  Every time I get out on the track, I've been riding worse and worse.  I feel like I've taken TOO many classes and have had soo much instruction, if this makes any sense?, that my head is filled with soo much shit, I don't feel relaxed anymore.    I have 2 trackdays this coming weekend, and I'm hoping I can get over this mental hump.  Undecided   But I feel like what's always holding me back is fear, I think I need a psychologist lol.  (BTW Lee Parks is the only one that I've seen write about this.)

Also, earlier you've posted that (your)  group rides aren't testosterone fests, but it happens naturally, to no fault of any one person.   You start to feel that well if the rider in front of me can take that turn that fast, I can do it to.    Unfortunately sometimes you don't have the same skill to follow the rider in front of you, but at the same time, it's confidence inspiring and helps you become a better rider as well.  And so there's a catch-22 there.   

goldenchild

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »

Thanks for your insightful words IG, they're a big help and I appreciate it  Smiley.

Mook, hope you're certainly feeling better after yesterday, I know your back got banged up and all...

Cru Jones
Dog's Bollocks

RC51

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »

As promised...a little video for your enjoyment.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 06:28:34 PM by Cru Jones » Logged

Usually Suspect
mookieo2

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2008, 07:10:27 PM »

Thanks for your insightful words IG, they're a big help and I appreciate it  Smiley.

Mook, hope you're certainly feeling better after yesterday, I know your back got banged up and all...

I`m ok, a little sore. Went to the Dr. just in case. I may have bruised a kidney. They said it should heal in a few days. Getting sonogram tomorrow to double check. Going to look into a back protector w/ kidney belt for next time. Gotta fight w/ the Gf to keep riding. She didn`t want me to have the bike in the first place and hated everytime I went on it. It took me three years to get because everytime I got close someone would get hurt on the corner or in the newspaper. Just going to let it blow over and wait till next season. Video looks cool. At least you guys still got to ride a little after i bailed. It was the ride home of shame. It was pretty obvious what happened to me if you saw me on the highway, Bike all banged up and me covered w/ dirt on one side w/ a scratched helmet. I`m ok and looking forward to next season.
GLantern

08 Red 1098, 07 DRZ400S

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2008, 07:16:08 PM »

Going to look into a back protector.

http://www.newenough.com/armor/back_protector_worn_on_the_body/joe_rocket/speedmaster_motorcycle_back_protector.html
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=953|T-PRO%20Body%20Armor%20Collection&productID=3887&showDetail=1&categoryID=954|Back%20%26%20Chest%20Protectors&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=953|T-PRO%20Body%20Armor%20Collection

These are the two i'm looking at they are both CE2 rated and have been getting great reviews.  Glad everything so far checks out alright.  Next season Mook when your ready again i'm ready. If you want to pickup something to ride in the winter ill be there too waytogo  In the meantime how about some snowboarding?

"Just ride and never ever look back"

goldenchild

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2008, 07:46:22 PM »

These are the two i'm looking at...

I use the Joe Rocket one, it's the same one as the Tpro and I'm also pretty sure it's may even be made by them for JR. Dizz uses the same one. Pak and Pete both use the Tpro also. While it can get pretty hot during the summer (what doesn't) after a few minutes of wearing it I literally forget it's there. Cru and Pat use a level 2 protector from A* and over the course of the day it tends to creep out of place making it uncomfortable. My 2¢.

Cru Jones
Dog's Bollocks

RC51

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2008, 07:50:26 PM »

I use the Joe Rocket one, it's the same one as the Tpro and I'm also pretty sure it's may even be made by them for JR. Dizz uses the same one. Pak and Pete both use the Tpro also. While it can get pretty hot during the summer (what doesn't) after a few minutes of wearing it I literally forget it's there. Cru and Pat use a level 2 protector from A* and over the course of the day it tends to creep out of place making it uncomfortable. My 2¢.

I'd go with the T-Pro/Joe Rocket. Like GC just mentioned the A* is very rigid & the waist strap continually moves up my chest as the day goes on. It's bearable, but a PITA.

Usually Suspect
goldenchild

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2008, 07:53:06 PM »

Cool vid btw Cru, I like your misshift  near the end of the video. Shame we didn't get to film the rest roads.

Cru Jones
Dog's Bollocks

RC51

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2008, 08:20:10 PM »

Cool vid btw Cru, I like your misshift  near the end of the video. Shame we didn't get to film the rest roads.

Yeah, that was a funny misshift actually...I felt like a squid trying to pop a wheelie down Flatbush only to make a mess of it.  laughingdp Sometimes I forget that clutch-less upshifts actually require a little bit of effort between 1st & 2nd.  Embarrassed

Next time out I'll make sure I actually have fresh batteries in the camera, so as to get more than just 20 minutes of riding.

Usually Suspect
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: