Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 07:43:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: superbike fork upgrade  (Read 4967 times)
rockaduc

« on: May 09, 2008, 01:38:38 PM »

I am in the middle of upgrading my S2R forks w/ 2002 998 forks.  Everything was going fine until I realised that my front axle doesn't have holes drilled in it to allow compression adjustment on the new forks!!!!  Huh? Anyway, a buddy of mine works in a machine shop and has drilled the holes for me.  I should be able to put 'er back together this weekend.  Why didn't Ducati just do this at the factory???  They must know that no one leaves their motorscooter alone.   
Thanks for listening fellas...fellas?? Hello??

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »

I am in the middle of upgrading my S2R forks w/ 2002 998 forks.  Everything was going fine until I realised that my front axle doesn't have holes drilled in it to allow compression adjustment on the new forks!!!!  Huh? Anyway, a buddy of mine works in a machine shop and has drilled the holes for me.  I should be able to put 'er back together this weekend.  Why didn't Ducati just do this at the factory???  They must know that no one leaves their motorscooter alone.   
Thanks for listening fellas...fellas?? Hello??

Just curious, what did you use for triple trees?

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 02:36:44 PM »

Some earlier monsters with nonadjustables had the holes.

Saves Ducati a little bit of money.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
rockaduc

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 11:36:24 AM »

Just curious, what did you use for triple trees?

i used my stock lower w/ a shim (thanks motowheels) and the same friend who drilled the holes in my axle milled my top triple the 3mm required.  It came out nicer than it looked from the factory, and since it is such a small amount of material, strength should not be an issue.  I  also bought a set of Gen Mar bar risers, as going w/ clip-ons would've blown my buget.  I will post my results when I get 'er back in one piece and start playing w/ settings.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 12:07:30 PM »

Oncycles has 53mm CycleCat triples for $124.00 

Just installed mine and love the results!  Bought used clip-ons.  Bike handles 100% better than before.

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
rockaduc

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 04:19:09 AM »

Did you have any issues w/ cable lengths when you switched to clip-ons?  I have read that the stock cables are not long enough.

Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 05:44:09 AM »

Did you have any issues w/ cable lengths when you switched to clip-ons?  I have read that the stock cables are not long enough.

Why would the cables not be long enough. You would be lowering the height of the bars with clipons right?

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
rockaduc

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 07:37:46 AM »

True, but aren't you also moving the controls closer to you?

spinned

time to ride!

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 01:05:29 PM »

What other forks will drirectly swap onto a S2R1000.  S4R?  S4RS? 

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 10:43:57 AM »

What other forks will drirectly swap onto a S2R1000.  S4R?  S4RS? 

S4, but they're essentially the same other than they have straight-rate springs (0.85kg/mm) OEM.
S4R, same as S4 but have the TiN coated sliders.
S4Rt, Forks will fit, but axle is different so you would need that, and they have radial calipers, so you would need those too, and the rotors are different offset 5-bolt style, might need those, but may not work with your wheel, and fender is different.
S4Rs, They're Ohlins, same issues as S4Rt except I think the axle is the same as yours.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: