Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 10:48:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas riding question????  (Read 1887 times)
andym

« on: October 08, 2008, 09:30:43 PM »

I have  a little (probably boring) question about riding in Texas.

When turning left at traffic lights I am used to riding into the middle of the junction, waiting for a gap or the lights to change then go before traffic comes across. waytogo

Everyone here seems to wait at the light, wait for them to turn red, wait for the traffic to go across, wait for the left turn light to go green then proceed. There is a lot of waiting involved. bang head

Am I allowed to enter the junction and wait or should I be waiting like most others? When I say am I allowed I mean could I get a ticket for doing it?

M696 Dark
Jester

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:36:41 PM »

Assuming you have a green light there is nothing wrong with pulling out into the intersection instead of waiting back behind the crosswalk ( if I'm understanding you correctly ).  I do it in my car, although I really don't like to chill in the intersection on my bike.  Too many red lights getting run, or whatever else that I'd prefer to avoid.

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 11:25:13 PM »

I have  a little (probably boring) question about riding in Texas.

When turning left at traffic lights I am used to riding into the middle of the junction, waiting for a gap or the lights to change then go before traffic comes across. waytogo

Everyone here seems to wait at the light, wait for them to turn red, wait for the traffic to go across, wait for the left turn light to go green then proceed. There is a lot of waiting involved. bang head

Am I allowed to enter the junction and wait or should I be waiting like most others? When I say am I allowed I mean could I get a ticket for doing it?

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

cdc
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 04:37:04 AM »

Nothing like a good boring question to start the morning... waytogo

As long as you have a green light, you may enter the intersection, but you don't have right-of-way, & do so at your own risk. You can't get a ticket for going on a green Grin
There are some intersections where visibility is not good, & once in awhile someone pulls into the middle, then their light turns red (the opposing traffic has a green & green arrow. THEN you're screwed...

Have fun waytogo

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Cyclone
DAS BOOT!

CHAT & SCAT !

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 04:59:58 AM »

Smiley It is my understanding that you may only enter an intersection if you can clear the intersection.  Pulling into the intersection to wait in the middle is unwise and at certain intersections with red light cameras will get you a bogus ticket if you clear the intersection on red !

Cops can write tickets for failure to clear but they usually only do that if there is an accident !

Most important Andy we drive on the right side of the road here - not the wrong side haha  laughingdp!

You know my Texas accent used to have some cache' in England & Europe but GW Bush kinda totally f*#*ed that up !  Cry

EDIT: Usually CJ or Fastwin have the statute's to quote and since they have not I looked it up so here are law & gray area about intersections:

§545.302 - STOPPING, STANDING, OR PARKING PROHIBITED IN CERTAIN PLACES
(a) An operator may not stop, stand, or park a vehicle:

[...]

(3) in an intersection;

[...]

(f) Subsections (a), (b), and (c) do not apply if the avoidance of conflict with other traffic is necessary or if the operator is complying with the law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device.
The issue of waiting in an intersection is a little tricky.  The law specifically prohibits stopping in an intersection.  However, subsection (f) of the same law makes an exception "if the avoidance of conflict with other traffic is necessary."  Therefore, the following sections cover the two conflicting issues regarding when to wait in an intersection.  It's amazing to me that many people do exactly the opposite of these!

WAITING TO TURN LEFT
Sometimes, you come to an intersection where you want to turn left and there's a green light but no green arrow.  Instead of waiting behind the line, you should move about ¼ of the way into the intersection and wait there.  Then, if the light turns red before you can turn, the oncoming traffic will stop and you can complete your turn.  (Make sure, of course, that that the oncoming traffic is stopping before you actually turn. Sometimes they'll still have a green even when your direction has a red.)  Isn't this considered running a red light, though?  No, because you lawfully entered the intersection on a green and other traffic must by law allow you to clear the intersection before they can go (§544.007 (b)).  This is not only legal, but it's also recommended.  At intersections without left arrows on busy streets, you have to do this if you ever want to turn.  How is this legal, though, when §545.302(a)(3) specifically prohibits stopping in an intersection?  In this case, the exception provided by subsection (f) allows this action: you're stopping to avoid conflicting with oncoming traffic.

Additional information
If you are waiting in an intersection when the light turns red, you should never, ever back out of the intersection.  Just wait for the traffic to clear and then complete your turn.
Additional information
Even if you have a green light, the law requires you to yield to traffic already in the intersection.  So if someone on the cross street was hanging-out in the intersection waiting to turn left, don't roar into the intersection and pound your horn-- they're legally there and have the right to make their turn unmolested.

Many people die on the streets of Dallas "with the Law on their side" clearly in possesion of the right of way - don't let it happen to you !!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 05:31:25 AM by Cyclone » Logged

'96 BMW R11 Gs - '72 Honda CT 90
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa
Girlrider
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 06:04:18 AM »

Also note, my experience from having moved her a dozen years ago from Boston... They run red lights down here, and I don't mean just one car, I mean a squadron... 1, 2, 3.   I come from the land of "jump the green" and learned very quickly that was going to be a recipe for disaster.

Net:  If you are sitting in an intersection waiting for the traffic on the other side to stop at the eventual red light and then allow you to proceed - in effect, you will be sitting in the middle of the intersection while the cross traffic has had a green light for a good period of time. 

Makes for an ugly outcome.

Wait in the safe zone, chill out, admire the folks in the cars around you, think of the weight you are losing in August when it is 110 degrees and you are in full leathers, etc.

Hope that's helpful,

M
fastwin
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 10:07:13 AM »

Good advice Maria. Andy, the drivers here SUCK!!! They are awful and they are dangerous. Please do no take anything for granted regarding anyone behind the wheel of a car in the DFW area. It's a freaking combat zone! Much better to wait and make sure they are doing what you think they are going to do or what they are indicating they are doing than to assume anything. In other words better to be cautious rather than dead. You can't make up those couple of minutes you spent waiting when your dead or in the hospital. Seriously, I hate this town and the drivers. I was raised here, I've earned the right. It should be nuked from orbit. And 90% of the morons are on their cell phone or texting while they drive. Oh that's helpful alright! Tongue

OK end of rant. But does anyone want to disagree?
andym

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »

Thanks for the response, I guess this is all part of my learning curve and I'd rather learn it here, sat on my laptop reading good advice, than lying in hospital thinking I won't try that again.

I think I get the bit about running red lights, there is a camera installed on Legacy at the top of the tollway, every time the lights turn red it flashes at the first car even if it stops, it is like they expect everyone to jump the lights, it scared the shite out of me at 3 AM once when it started flashing as I approached the junction.

M696 Dark
GeorgeInDallas

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 06:02:24 PM »

Good advice Maria. Andy, the drivers here SUCK!!! They are awful and they are dangerous. Please do no take anything for granted regarding anyone behind the wheel of a car in the DFW area. It's a freaking combat zone! Much better to wait and make sure they are doing what you think they are going to do or what they are indicating they are doing than to assume anything. In other words better to be cautious rather than dead. You can't make up those couple of minutes you spent waiting when your dead or in the hospital. Seriously, I hate this town and the drivers. I was raised here, I've earned the right. It should be nuked from orbit. And 90% of the morons are on their cell phone or texting while they drive. Oh that's helpful alright! Tongue

OK end of rant. But does anyone want to disagree?

Dare we expand the conversation to include lane merges?  Yikes!  I've never seen such a collective intellectual deficit in my life.  Well, OK, besides my family reunion.   cheeky

"It's about the ride.", Peter Fonda in Wild Hogs.
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 06:37:42 PM »

Andy, the drivers here SUCK!!!

But does anyone want to disagree?

+1 Umm, I think the "white cat down......AGAIN!" thread says it all about the drivers around here....  Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: