Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:33:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: measuring shims  (Read 5120 times)
jntrees

« on: May 09, 2008, 02:01:17 PM »

I'm going to start doing my own valve adjustments, one thing that i'm confused about is measuring shims.
Can I use only a digital micrometer? I saw a shim measuring tool on another website that I guess you place the shim in to measure, not sure what thats about. Do I need this?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 02:15:59 PM »

You can measure the openers directly with a mic or caliper.  You need a tool to accurately measure the closers.  It fits in to where the collets sit, and you measure the shim plus the tool, then subtract 10mm (or whatever your tool measures) from that.

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 02:26:43 PM »

Get the tool to measure the closers.

If you're talking about openers for 8mm valve stem bikes (900cc and smaller 2-valvers), you can measure them directly with a micrometer.
You can measure them with calipers if you can find a nice spacer to fit inside 'em.
I've heard there's a Kawasaki valve shim that works, but I don't know which one.

Some micrometers have a spindle small enough to measure the openers for the 7mm valve stem bikes.
My Starrett micrometer does not.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
jntrees

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 02:42:53 PM »

I've got an 07 S2R, I was under the impression that I could take my measurements( loaded, unloaded etc), do the equations, pull out the shims if necessary, then measure them with a micrometer.
Will it not work this way? Or is there a better, easier way?
Ddan

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »

I've got an 07 S2R, I was under the impression that I could take my measurements( loaded, unloaded etc), do the equations, pull out the shims if necessary, then measure them with a micrometer.
Will it not work this way? Or is there a better, easier way?
You've got the procedure, but you will need the tool to measure the closers.

Ducati Monster Forum at
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »

I was under the impression I would do my own valves also, but short of buying a set of non-ducati shims, it is really difficult. I live 2 hours from the dealer, and if I needed a new shim, the chances of me measuring my old one and a correct new one at his shop are nill, even with a $150 digital micrometer.

Watching him do the valves, he only uses a $20 digital caliper to measure the out of spec shim to get in the ballpark for the correct new, then goes to the trays, and trys a couple shims in the right direction.   The final measure of spec is with feel and feeler gauges, so that is why the actual shim measurement can be less accurate for him.

mitt

Ddan

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 04:24:07 PM »

I was under the impression I would do my own valves also, but short of buying a set of non-ducati shims, it is really difficult. I live 2 hours from the dealer, and if I needed a new shim, the chances of me measuring my old one and a correct new one at his shop are nill, even with a $150 digital micrometer.

Watching him do the valves, he only uses a $20 digital caliper to measure the out of spec shim to get in the ballpark for the correct new, then goes to the trays, and trys a couple shims in the right direction.   The final measure of spec is with feel and feeler gauges, so that is why the actual shim measurement can be less accurate for him.

mitt
BCM, (and other shops, I'm sure,) will do an exchange for like 5 bucks or something.  You send your shim with whatever it's over or under, they send you the right one.  No real measurement issues that way, but it's slow.

Ducati Monster Forum at
printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 04:46:51 PM »

or buy the ems duc shim kit. they come with the closer tool. was around $300, but worth it because I live so far away.

get it done faster this way

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 04:47:11 PM »

BCM, (and other shops, I'm sure,) will do an exchange for like 5 bucks or something.  You send your shim with whatever it's over or under, they send you the right one.  No real measurement issues that way, but it's slow.

My shop (which is great in almost every way) doesn't even exchange shims for $5 if they do the adjustment.  They give you a credit on the old shim, but the new are still expensive - like $15.  His reason is that he gets stuck with a bunch of common sizes, and always has to reorder replacement sizes.

mitt

Ddan

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »

Yep, makes sense.  I think the last shims I bought outright from BCM were $18/.  I finally broke down this year and got the  shim set from EMS.  Made the project a lot easier

Ducati Monster Forum at
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: