Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:39:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neutral between 5th and 6th???  (Read 8502 times)
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 02:01:55 PM »

I'm certainly aware of it now - clutch is ready Cool
Is this issue Ducati style or is it also common on, let's say Japs? (not that you guys would know first hand, but have you heard of it?)

False neutrals on very bike I have ever ridden (Jap, Italian, German, British you name it) at some time or another. It is better when the gear dog is "backcut" but then the shift isn't very positive feeling. Most of the newer bikes are using straightcut dogs. Much easier to find neutral in between.  Tongue

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
Smitty

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 02:13:26 PM »

02 S4 Here. Just a little stiff when new some false neutrals at about 4,000 miles only 5 to 6th false neutral on occasion. After 5800 miles the  shifts are smooth with little effort and constantly geeting better .

Tim
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »

I guess I just do everything with a bit of extra brute force. Grin  Can't remember false neutral ever being an issue on my bike.   (also  an '07 S2R800)  And I hope it never becomes an issue 1/2 way through a turn either!

But  there is a teeny little area on the shifter between 1st and 2nd where the neutral light doesn't come on and the bike is already in neutral. 

I was going to mention it to the dealer if I ever take it in for service  Grin  .  In the meantime I just remember it's there. [moto]

The Ducati Monster Forum - Time Well Wasted  :-)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »

But  there is a teeny little area on the shifter between 1st and 2nd where the neutral light doesn't come on and the bike is already in neutral. 

On mine too - will have dealer checking all of this next time I'm in - in two weeks.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
echelon
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 05:58:02 PM »

I was going to mention it to the dealer if I ever take it in for service  Grin  .  In the meantime I just remember it's there. [moto]

Both of my Monsters acted the same.   I sometimes want to get to neutral and I find it but the neutral light on the dash does not illuminate.  In other words I am in neutral but no light.  Its like I entered neutral without triggering the light sensor. No biggy because I am used to it (and the false neutral stuff).  I simply shift up and down again and the light comes on.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:00:10 PM by echelon » Logged
718frankb

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 05:26:42 PM »

Why is it that the only time i miss a shift is when theres a crowd of people staring at me?

" THE ONLY TIME I LET GO IS TO GET A BETTER GRIP "
bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 05:36:48 PM »

Why is it that the only time i miss a shift is when theres a crowd of people staring at me?

Probably cause you're too busy checking out their titslooking at them to pay attention to shifting properly...

Wink

big (not that _I'd_ know anything about that mistake...)

techno

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 08:24:23 PM »

It happens on my S2R800 also but only between 5th and 6th so its never mid corner.

Before I bought the monster I rode a friends 600SS, '97 model. I had trouble finding neutral after stopping at the lights or wherever if the bike was running. Not a problem if you found it rolling up to the lights or the bike is switched off, just while it was idling sitting still. Funny about that.

At least I can easily find neutral on the monster where its supposed to be.

Hey Techno you are a smart man.  waytogo

Had an accident in Tasmania? - www.tas-compo-law.com.au
toaster

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 12:03:51 PM »

my 04 800 has the same thing from 5th to 6th.  it feels like there is a click-click thing happening. 

its actually a design thing that ducati did on purpose to let you know you were shifting into 6th, that way you would never try and shift again looking for that nonexistent next gear.
johnster

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 12:11:37 PM »

When you see the green "N" illuminated, you know what that means, right??

-It means the bulb's not burnt out!!   Grin

-I remember my MSF instructor telling us that....NEVER trust the Neutral light, he said.....

I always just let the clutch out a hair and see if I hear the idle drop....if so, I'm not in neutral.... waytogo

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 12:19:45 PM »

its actually a design thing that ducati did on purpose to let you know you were shifting into 6th, that way you would never try and shift again looking for that nonexistent next gear.

Really? Where did you get that information and do you know for sure it's not what some dealer told you to get out of "trouble"? I'm not doubting you, it's just a little hard to think that Ducati would be that customer friendly Huh?

ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »

I also question where you got that from.

If you try to shift to "7th" gear, it feels different, but it doesn't hurt anything at all if you do it.  That's the only sure way to know you're in 6th if you haven't kept count and don't recognize it by feel.

I also do the same thing down from first sometimes, just to make sure.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
toaster

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 08:39:28 AM »

Really? Where did you get that information and do you know for sure it's not what some dealer told you to get out of "trouble"? I'm not doubting you, it's just a little hard to think that Ducati would be that customer friendly Huh?

I also question where you got that from.

If you try to shift to "7th" gear, it feels different, but it doesn't hurt anything at all if you do it.  That's the only sure way to know you're in 6th if you haven't kept count and don't recognize it by feel.

I also do the same thing down from first sometimes, just to make sure.

it was actually a joke guys.  i am  100% sure ducati didnt do it on purpose.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2008, 11:12:24 AM »

it was actually a joke guys.  i am  100% sure ducati didnt do it on purpose.

laughingdp Me too waytogo

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: