Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 09, 2024, 04:24:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 696 good first bike? (and other newbie questions)  (Read 17045 times)
Rambler1982

« on: October 19, 2008, 01:32:57 PM »

Greetings!  I plan on buying my first motorcycle in the next month, and have been doing some research and asking as many questions as I can. I'm still so new to the motorcycle world.

Initially, my interest was in the Kawasaki Ninja 650. However, I just came across the Ducati Monster 696. WOW! What a sweet looking bike.

1) Would this be inappropriate for an entry level bike? I don't have any riding experience, but I did just take the MSF course this weekend.

2) I'm really in love with the looks of the 696, and I've heard that it performs well, too. However, I've read that the exhaust gets EXTREMELY hot for the passenger, and makes it difficult to carry a passenger. Is that true?

3) What is a reasonable (or typical) OTD price on an '09 Monster 696?

4) Iis there anything a newbie should know about the 696? ANY suggestions or advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help Smiley
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:20:13 PM by Rambler1982 » Logged
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 02:12:18 PM »

You're already in love with the bike, so the rest is easy.

If you're taking a passenger you should get used to preloading the rear spring (easy enough, couple of minutes when you know how). It will improve handling and security.

Ducati's signature sound is created, to a large degree, by carbon exhaust cans. They don't become very warm.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
babronc302

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 04:07:33 PM »

I bought the Monster 696 as my second bike, but grew up riding quads and such. Basically you will have to get used to riding anything you buy regardless since no two bikes are the same. If you feel comfortable riding already, the 696 might not be a bad bike for you. The seat height is low and it handles really well. For me, it inspires more confidence at every curve. Keep in mind though since it is your first bike, there is a higher chance of it falling over or you dropping it just from being a "newbie".

As far as the heat goes, someone is full of crap. I ride double all of the time and have specifically asked her about heat and whether or not it bothers her. She has no problems with it what so ever and usually has her ankles right up against the exhaust (no boots yet). I've also put my hand on the exhaust with thin gloves on and it doesn't feel hot by any means.

From what I've read, most people are getting them OTD for right around 10k if not a little under.

The main thing you should know is that the maintenance might be a little more expensive than a more common bike like a SV650 and and dealers are a little harder to come by. I would recommend test riding one if the local dealer will let you.

I really enjoy riding mine, but probably wouldn't have bought it as my first bike. You will enjoy a bike a lot more if you feel comfortable on it. I would have a hard time feeling comfortable on a 9-10k dollar bike without any riding experience. Just my 2 cents.
Spicoli

Life is Good

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 04:14:38 PM »

It is a great bike for a beginner.  Handles well, easy to control power band. Quick enough that you won't get bored with it when you get better, but not so quick that youre asking for trouble. 

As far as passengers, I have taken quite a few people on my 696 and no one has ever complained about the heat... but I have had a few complaints that they smell of exhaust fums afterwards... it keep telling them, that is an aphrodisiac for a lot of men. 

I would highly recommend getting the 696.  It is fine for passengers.  Price, depends on your area, but if you live in a winter land now is the time to buy.  They have been hot and hard to get a hold of, which means most dealers won't bargain with you.  But in the winter lands, like Colorado for me, dealers will make deals.  Standard price is $8700, but I think it went up.. and then there are some delivery, building fees etc which add up to about $1000.

Life's too short to be taken seriously.
'09 Triumph Speed Triple, flat black
yotogi

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 04:20:39 PM »

I would expect to pay around 10K out the door for a new 696. From my own experience riding demo units and friends bikes, you will want to plan for the exhaust upgrade. if not for the power, for the sound.

Buy one, you will love it. It is an amazingly "easy" bike to ride and as others have said, it inspires confidence with its good manners.

One thing that I would say is to expect to drop it at least once. I was really glad to have a cheap used bike for my first so that I could get the drop out of the way with no real damage to the bike or my bank account. Just something to consider.

Blake

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »

I'm wondering why people keep talking about dropping their bikes.  Do you drop them going into corners too hot and lay it down or do you forget to put a leg down when coming to a stop?  Just wondering why everyone says you should stay away from a new/expensive bike because you're going to drop it.

Later
Sleeper_I
cannot raise his

Live free and ride hard

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »

The 696 is a great first bike but I still would recommend you get a used SV650 to start out for a few months as a newbie. There are very few people out there that never dropped their bike. You will hate yourself if you dropped your brand new $10000 696 in the first few days of riding. Refer to this post http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=3151.0. I'm guilty of 2 on the list. Besides the resale value of the SVs are good. It is worth the investment i think.

Good luck and be careful out there

Got my 696 for $9900
Spicoli

Life is Good

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 05:52:09 PM »

I'm wondering why people keep talking about dropping their bikes.  Do you drop them going into corners too hot and lay it down or do you forget to put a leg down when coming to a stop?  Just wondering why everyone says you should stay away from a new/expensive bike because you're going to drop it.

Later

I'm with you.  I know most people put bike down, but when I drive a car I really think most people don't know how to drive nor seem to be fully aware of their surroundings.  I think this translates to bikes as well.  If you come into a corner too hot or don't see that sand in the middle of it, well you're probably going to go down.   I also know people that have ridden for years and never had an incident.   If you ride smart and keep aware and in safe spots amongst cars you will have good chances of not putting a bike down.

Life's too short to be taken seriously.
'09 Triumph Speed Triple, flat black
yotogi

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 05:52:52 PM »

I dropped mine in a parking lot when I was forced to do a quick stop after being surprised by a car and having to stop real quick after just starting. The reason I was surprised was due to a complete rookie error and I was happy to have a learning lesson with no real damage to the bike.

Having just gone through the first 6 months on a bike, I cannot in good conscience recommend a $10,000 bike as a first bike. Go out, buy a $2000 beater and ride it for 6-12 months. You will learn a ton and not worry so much about making a mistake that will mess up the new bike, and when you get your second ride it will be so much more rewarding.

On the other hand, buy what you want!

Raux
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 05:54:01 PM »

people drop bikes. newbies and otherwise. there is no category for people predisposed to do that.

i drop my brand new M900 10 years ago. IZ_ neutral. yeah it freaked me out. but i would have freaked if i had spent 2k instead of 10k just as much. i care about my stuff. yes i was a newbie at the time and didnt know about the Ducati quirk. you bet i check it everytime now.

get what you want. take care of it and yourself and if it falls over, pick it up learn from it. use it as an excuse to mod it. but dont let the potential of a drop stop you from getting a ducati.

swampduc

'99 996, '07 S2R1000,'08 1098s, '12 1199s

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 06:01:47 PM »

Later

Most people dropping their bikes early on seem to do it at low speed - sudden stop while turning, IZ_ neutral, etc. Least, I know I did w/ my 1st bike (which was a new SV). It was still worth getting the bike I wanted - the scratches just gave it character  Grin

Respeta mi autoridad!
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 06:09:44 PM »

little front brake while bars are turned and you're looking at the ground at almost stopped speed?     down.

It takes a while to get coordinated for all the different tasks on a bike.   High speed traffic, slow speed corners, leaving from a stop sign and turning left or right, parking lots.....   all of those have different techniques for brake, throttle, body position.

The OP and I have PMd on the issue, but I'll comment here....   if you either have the cash to fix, or don't care about scratches and little dents, then no big for first bike.

If you are financing it, or care about cosmetics and don't ahve the extra funds to fix things, then bad idea.    If in this category, get a used ninja 500 and when you get bored sell it for what you paid for it and buy your Duc.   If in the former category, buy the Duc and have fun.

If looking at a Duc, check locally for dealer first.    Duc experience is ALL about your dealer.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Takster

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 08:51:13 PM »

Rambler,  I was in your exact position oh i don't know, about 400 miles and 4 weeks ago.  I did it backwards.  I bought the bike, and gazed at it lovingly in my garage while I got my permit, took the MSF course, waited for the title to show up etc.

I was very lucky, in that I found an '09 696 used on Craigslist with < 200 miles on it for a bit less than 8k.  I saw a dark one on the Boston Area CL last week for 8k with < 1000mi.

My impressions so far... I absolutely love it.  No buyers remorse.  It's pretty forgiving, rewards you for good behavior, and doesn't feel like it wants to kill you all the time... not impressions I've gotten from riding some of my friends' "starter" bikes.

Dropped it once.  I've got really short legs, so I shortlegged it at kind of an off-canted stop.  Wasn't moving.  Get frame sliders.  Try not to put body parts between the bike and the ground.

Speaking of my drop.  When you drop yours, try to make it on the right side.  I'll send you my stock right hand mirror.  Grin

'09 Monster 696
ROBsS4R

No matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 09:05:48 PM »

A good beginner bike... Prob not. It has 80 hp and 50 Torque. Yeah you can do much worse by buying a R1 to start with  Grin

A 620 would be a much better choice IMO and much cheaper.

I have 25k on my S4R and I still feel like its way to much bike for me. I came off a 620. It prob would have been more wise for me to jump into a 696ish HP/Torque equivalent Bike

Regarding dropping the bike it doesnt take much really. Stalling the bike at slow speeds in a parking lot, Stepping off into a Pothole, hitting gravel or oil in the road, being cutoff by another car, I can go on and on and on.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:09:26 PM by ROBsS4R » Logged

SOLD 03 - Ducati Monster Dark M620

05 - Ducati Monster Blue/white S4R

My Photo Site http://secondnature.smugmug.com/

russelson

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 10:11:03 AM »

Bought a 696 as a first bike in July.  Took the MSF class, but never been on a bike before. 

After 2500 miles, I have no regrets.  I understand the comments about the potential for dropping it.  I came close a couple times in the first few weeks -- both times were parking as earlier posters have said.  I came to a stop with a very slight turn still, and once I stopped it started leaning.  I'm 6'1, 190, and I just fought it from dropping.  Luckily, I won both times. 

On the question of if its "too much" bike for a beginner -- everyone has an opinion, but I don't think its too much.  Obviously I'm a bit biased since this is my first bike, but I've never felt that I was behind the bike at all or that it has gotten away from me.  There is plenty of power there, but it is very predictable. 

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:58:17 PM by russelson » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: