Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 09, 2024, 12:17:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new 696!  (Read 1721 times)
sfarchie

« on: October 22, 2008, 07:05:53 PM »

After a sleepless night from checking out the 696, I went in today and got it! The irony is I can't ride it for 2 more weeks (in rehab from a recent accident). But I got it now since they had a red one that was just prep'd.

I have a question. Did anyone purchase the extended 4 yr warranty for $799.00? A total of 6 yrs sounds attractive, but I wanted to check with all of you first.

Ray
SFaRChie
'10 Streetfighter, '01 KTM Duke II, '09 M1100S (RIP), '08 Vespa GTS 250,'58 Vespa Allstate (RIP), M696 (sold)
Danmack_98

'09 dark m696

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 07:22:07 PM »

I ordered mine two months ago and it was delivered today!!  As good as they look in pictures, they're ten times better in person!  Absolutely worth the wait.  I'm like a kid on christmas, wish I could take it to my room tonight, but wife would probably be pissed! Grin

"That bike looks like if you knocked it over, it would stand itself up and kick your ass!!"
NWapex

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 07:35:25 PM »

Congrats to both of you on your new bikes.  I did not get the additional warranty on my purchase - the dealer did not really push it either. 

Pictures please   waytogo

My rides:  2009 M696, couple of cages, a few grass eating get-alongs, and some asics.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 07:43:42 PM »

Congrats on the bike!  There is no clear answer whether the extended warranty is worth it or not, but I will give you food for thought.  Do keep in mind extended warranties are the equivalent of medical insurance for your motorcycle.

First, keep in mind you have a 2 year warranty with the bike.  Will you keep the bike that much longer?  Could you recoup the cost of the extended warranty on resale?  (Maybe a little).  

Is the warranty through Ducati or a "hit and run company"?

Is there a deductible?  Exactly what is covered?  For example, are leaky forks maintenance and not covered?  Is the instrument cluster covered or just mechanical parts?  What shops will accept the warranty?

If you take the $799 and put it in a CD for two years.  That means you have $799 plus a little bit to put towards repairs you may or may not need.  Now, let's say you have a $500 deductible.  That means a repair would have to cost $1299 plus a little bit before you broke even.

Me, I would put the money in the bank and call my self self insured.

r_ciao

My first Ducati.

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:39:05 PM »

Congrats on the M696.  Red, just like mine.  I did buy the extended warranty b/c this is a new model.  1st generation products always seem to have something going on with it.  1600 miles later, no probs yet.  I intend to keep this bike for a long time too.

'09 Monster 696+ Red, of course.
EvoTech Tail Tidy, SpeedyMoto frame sliders, 14T front sprocket
Triple J
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:39:41 PM »

Congrats!

I wouldn't get the extended warranty. Any warranty issues with the bike should be sorted in 2 years if you ride it at all. If they aren't you'll probably want to get rid of the bike by then anyway.
sfarchie

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 11:21:23 PM »

Thanks, everyone! A lot to think about. My buddy, who owns a Shiver, also said he didn't get the extended warranty. His issue is he has sold so many of his previous bikes he would be wasting money.

Here's a pic of my bikes. I own a 08 Vespa GTS (totally pimped and for sale), '58 Allstate (my resto project), and my new M696. All of them offer such different rides, it'll be hard to part with my GTS but I don't need so many bikes.

Ray
SFaRChie
'10 Streetfighter, '01 KTM Duke II, '09 M1100S (RIP), '08 Vespa GTS 250,'58 Vespa Allstate (RIP), M696 (sold)
Roy

M696

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 07:31:35 AM »

Cool pic, and congrats on the new toy!  [moto]
GLantern

08 Red 1098, 07 DRZ400S

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 07:40:15 AM »

Congrats on the new bike!  I didn't get the extended warranty on my 1098 but i will probably pick it up before my 2 years are up after i figure out what it all covers.

"Just ride and never ever look back"

www.suspectsunlimited.com
StandTall

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 07:41:34 AM »

After a sleepless night from checking out the 696, I went in today and got it! The irony is I can't ride it for 2 more weeks (in rehab from a recent accident). But I got it now since they had a red one that was just prep'd.

I have a question. Did anyone purchase the extended 4 yr warranty for $799.00? A total of 6 yrs sounds attractive, but I wanted to check with all of you first.

Congrats on the bike! Just got mine last week. Outstanding!
Jimmy Ducati

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 09:16:43 AM »

Enjoy!  Gear up, and ride safe waytogo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: