Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 08, 2024, 06:19:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 696 vs Triumph Street Triple 675  (Read 15075 times)
brickdogg

« on: October 22, 2008, 07:26:24 PM »

Ok folks. Many of you know way more about bikes then I could hope to pretend to know.  So here is the deal, was talking to my ducati dealer and he told me that he just got in the new street triple and if I like the monster I should check it out since it is the true competitor of the monster.  I would like to know how you think these bikes compare. I am looking at all factors: Initial cost (ie would a dealer be more likely to negotiate on the Triumph), maintenence, ride, reliability, cool factor, and any other things you think you could compare on these two bikes. Look forward to the discussion!! 

And yes, I know this is the ducati boards but I trust you folks have knowledge of bikes outside of Duc's. Thanks!!
be350ka

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 07:55:32 PM »

Well, I was in the same boat as you not too long ago.  I had ordered the St triple since it seemed to be the only bike for me.  But, I went to a Ducati Demo Day and rode the 696 and absolutely loved the bike.  I had never ridden the 675, but from what I read on other boards that bike is wonderful.

IMO the two bikes are different in their own right.  The 675 is born from a RACE bike.  So, I would expect it to ride quite similarly.  The 696 is no slouch, but not quite the rocket that the 675 is.  Like I said, I never rode the 675.  But, I do own the 696 and can say that it is a nice bike.

Now, my dealer just got the 675 I ordered 5 months ago.  I was at the shop last week when the VP told me that it had arrived and was still crated in the back.  I told him that I would come back to take a look at it in a day or two when it was build up.  I did and I can honestly say that it looks better in pictures.  Up close it looks......well, cheap! Shocked  The fit and finish on the 696 is night and day better. 

I know, looks are subjective, but this is a bike that you will have to live with.  Both are VERY nice machines, but from a style/finish stand point the 696 is the clear winner.  The 675, IMO, is the racier of the two bike while the 696 makes a nice "fun" bike for all day riding.
NWapex

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 08:16:20 PM »

Now, my dealer just got the 675 I ordered 5 months ago.  I was at the shop last week when the VP told me that it had arrived and was still crated in the back.  I told him that I would come back to take a look at it in a day or two when it was build up.  I did and I can honestly say that it looks better in pictures.  Up close it looks......well, cheap! Shocked  The fit and finish on the 696 is night and day better. 

I know, looks are subjective, but this is a bike that you will have to live with.  Both are VERY nice machines, but from a style/finish stand point the 696 is the clear winner.  The 675, IMO, is the racier of the two bike while the 696 makes a nice "fun" bike for all day riding.

+1   When I was making my decision I was not able to see/ride the Striple.  After purchasing the 696 I was finally able to view the 675.  Fit and finish did appear much lower than the Ducati.  That said, the engine on the 675 will out perform the 696. 

My 696 makes me want to ride every time I see it.  Check out both and buy the one that appeals to you. 

My rides:  2009 M696, couple of cages, a few grass eating get-alongs, and some asics.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:22:54 PM »

When i sold my first duc, i was looking for an S4R's (not RS) and a Speed triple. I found a bunch of S4R for sale but no one wanted to commit to selling theirs. So i wnet to look at a speed triple. too damn tall, couldnt reach the ground. So i went for the street triple. perfect fit. perfect power. didnt get to ride it though. Sad, i think its pretty damn well built for what it is. So it was between the street triple and a S2R1000 that i found. I went for the S2R1000.

Am I happy?.....well, lets just say i dont mind thinking about it. Between the 696 and 675...its realy hard to not pick the street triple. But that bike is in a whole other class of its own. Its a straight up hooligan machine. the 696 has a like 8 inches or a foot on the Street triple. That thing is a make the beast with two backsing wheelie MACHINE!!!

Again, what are your intentions with it? i dont think the 3 cylinder engiens sound good at all. but if your gonna wreck the streets up with hooliganism then id go for the 675, if you just want an all around bike thats great at everything, but perfect at none, then 696 is probably better.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
vampire

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 09:39:14 PM »

1st thing you should do is sit on both! you may make you  decision only based on that. i believe the 675 has more upright seating position and more comfortable. secondly, the 675 engine has more power than the 696. you may consider that too.

i would take the 675 for the more power and amazing sound of the triple but will be missing the looks/style and character of the duc.

spun out '
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 03:35:02 AM »

Test both for fit.  Yes, they're similar in engine size and maybe in output (don't know the numbers).  Very different feel in having the triple v. the V-twin under you.  Sound is quite a bit different too.  You can get a wonderful rumble & mechanical clatter from the 696.  The 675 is possibly a more refined machine and may have better suspension.  The triple can also with a proper exhaust can make a sound that resembles torturing a banshee.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
sfarchie

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 03:59:43 AM »

Not sure where you live or if this matters. Here in SF, I see at least 3-4 Monsters/day and rarely see any Street Triples. So, another possible factor to consider is how much you want to stand out.

For me, it didn't matter so I got the 696 and I don't regret it one bit! Grin

Ray
SFaRChie
'10 Streetfighter, '01 KTM Duke II, '09 M1100S (RIP), '08 Vespa GTS 250,'58 Vespa Allstate (RIP), M696 (sold)
Mduc

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 06:15:57 AM »

As one of the above already said. Make sure you sit on both. I have the S2R1K and love it from a comfort perspective. I sat on the new 696 and for me it's really uncomfotable therefore I would never buy it. The Street Triple on the other hand was really nice and felt good when I sat on it. A lot also depends on how tall you are because the Street is taller than the 696. If you are taller than about 5'11 the monster will feel like a toy. It seems really small. If you are at least that tall, you should be able to put both feet down flat on the ground.

I think that both bikes are great, but depending on your size one will feel better than the other.

07 S2R1K
ducatania

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 07:17:38 AM »

I found a bunch of S4R for sale but no one wanted to commit to selling theirs.

Huh?

Japes

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 09:20:32 AM »

I never actually got to look at the street triple, as they were all sold out when I went to buy a bike. Also, the 696 that I bought was the last one at the dealer. I did actually fall in love with the 696 when I saw it in person. haha. One thing I liked about the duc dealership was this priority maintenance package that they offered. $2000 for 2 or 3(can't remember) years all maintenance covered, including oil changes and 1 set of tire changes a year.

My cousin has the Daytona 675 I know it's a much different ride than the street, but it's an awesome bike. The one thing I would complain about is the seat on the daytona, hard as rock! if the street came with the same seat, I'm not sure I'd be too comfortable on it. I think I'd actually need to sit on the street to actually see what's better.

At the same time, I don't know a whole lot about bikes and the 696 is my first bike, so I may just be talking out of my a$$

... just my two cents
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 09:49:22 AM »

I'm guessing that from any prospective that heavily weights performance, the Triple is the winner.  ie., will probably leave the 696 for dead. - and then some.

The Triple has to be cheaper, much cheaper to maintain too.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
slim_grizzy

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 10:24:10 AM »

I have a 696, my pastor recently picked up a Street Triple.  I had looked at both when I was deciding.  I couldn't get past the bug-eye look.  The finish of the 696 is better than the Triumph but as said already the Triple has a stronger engine.  It will come down to your personal preference on looks and comfort.  As far as performance, there's not a huge difference in power.  Yes the Triple is stronger but it's not a night and day difference.  Listening to the triple is kind of disappointing.  It sounds like it's wheezing and underpowered at lower speeds.  The exhaust on the 696 is much more interesting and sexy.  When you get on the throttle, it sounds like your going to run people over and take their lunch money, even more so with a set of Termis on it.  The triple more or less asks you if he can borrow a couple bucks and he'll pay you back tomorrow.  Check them both out if you can, you won't be really disappointed by either one.  It's just a matter of personality.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 10:51:36 AM »

The exhaust on the 696 is much more interesting and sexy.  When you get on the throttle, it sounds like your going to run people over and take their lunch money, even more so with a set of Termis on it. 

Wait.....I can get free lunch money just by runnig people over....?

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
be350ka

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 10:54:32 AM »

On the maintenance topic:

I had my dealer lay out all the costs for the scheduled maint for both the 696 and St Trip.  I was interested in what I was seeing.  The "book" dollar figures for scheduled maint were quite similar.  The 7500 mile check for the 696 was slightly more expensive (less than 100 dollars) than the 6000 mile check on the Triple.  I also had them compare part prices for the 696 v. the 675 and they were close, but the 675 was slightly cheaper.  So, yes, you will spend a little more on the Ducati than the Triumph, but the difference is not THAT drastic as some lead you to believe.  

I, like everyone else, wants the best bike for the lowest price.  So, when I saw these price comparisons I knew that the Ducati would be a very viable option.  Then I bit the bait and bought it.

Another consideration that I had when making my decision was that this was my first street bike.  The 107 bhp on the Triple concerned me a little.  Not that the 80 for the 696 is much better, but better.  Many people say how the throttle on the St Triple is very snatchy meaning when hitting bumps in the pavement that it tends to lurch.  IMO that "trait" combined with poor pavement and a newer rider could be disasterous.  I looked at is as the 675 could be a second bike for me at some time, but for now I am LOVING the 696 (with Termis/db killers out) too much to consider something else seriously.  Maybe in a few years.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 12:58:31 PM »

Huh?

What dont you get? Found people looking to sell on CL. Called, set up a time to see. called later to verify they are there, they said maybe later. Happened 3 times. This one particular blue 05 S4R i REALLY wanted, the guy said later, 4 times citing company over the house.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: