Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:32:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well isn't this odd...bike won't turn OFF  (Read 5197 times)
ducducgooseme
Local Moderator

Same ole DesmoDevil, in a more gentle package

« on: May 10, 2008, 06:26:44 AM »

So I start my bike up last night just to hear the lovely cling a clack after detailing her (no water used).

I turn the key off and the bike still sputters and spats like it is trying to run the sickly last few meters of a race.  Literally wont turn off.  I hit the kill switch, it keeps going.  I turn the key off again...stillllll going like that damn Energizer bunny.  I finally turn the key back to the on position and hit the ignition button to turn it on FULLY (rather than the sputter sputter it was doing).  Bike comes to life as it should, sounds normal and all.  I then turn it off and it obliges and turns off.

Freaky weird....in a Stephen King sorta way.

What would cause this?

If you love your bike, set it free.
If it comes back to you, you've
probably high-sided.
Count Desmo

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 06:36:34 AM »

Sticky ignition switch?  I'd start by lubing that bad-boy up with some dry graphite lube (wet lubes will attract dust.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 06:43:47 AM by Count Desmo » Logged
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 07:43:33 PM »

Sounds like a the engine was dieseling, a phenomenon where fuel is ignited by the heat of compression. 

Possibilities:
    carbed,
        insufficient octane
        idle speed to high
    fuel injected,
        leaking injectors

Temporary cure:
     with brake applied, slowly let out clutch with bike in gear until the engine stalls
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 10:17:35 PM »

Since you were saying the bike sounded like it was about to die, and turning the ignition on brought it back to life, I agree with Howie, sounds like you're dieseling.

Justin

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 10:27:33 PM »

sounds like you're dieseling.

I had a pretty similar sounding thing happen a while back, it was sticky contacts in the starter solenoid. When you say "the bike still sputters and spats", did it sound like it was cranking over on the starter?

big

Old-Duckman

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 02:18:51 AM »

I had a pretty similar sounding thing happen a while back, it was sticky contacts in the starter solenoid. When you say "the bike still sputters and spats", did it sound like it was cranking over on the starter?

big

That is exactly what happened to my ST4. Though it sounded like it was running it was just the starter not disengaging and kept cranking. Tried the "in gear, brake on, clutch out" but it still kept cranking...I had to wait for the battery to drain.

Got a new starter solenoid (don't remember from where but it was for a Kawasaki and had a different connector type), installed it and problem solved.

I have read the same thing quite a few times, seems like it might have been a typical problem on Ducks of a certain vintage. My ST4 is a '99'.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 04:36:27 AM »

If it is the solenoid, which is rather common, using the clutch won't work. If smacking the solenoid doesn't work (probably won't) you will need to disconnect the negative battery cable.
knightrider

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »

+1 on the starter selinoid, mine did the same thing, wouldnt turn off until you disconnect the battery, replaced, now all is good.

1994 M900
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: