Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 03:59:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friend needs a Monster  (Read 5596 times)
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 11:32:50 AM »

Most of us come to motorcycling with great enthusiasm.......... Most people that think they want a motorcycle think it is all fun and games.

...and now there are people coming to motorcycles because of the fuel savings....

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
mdubya

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 11:40:46 AM »

...and now there are people coming to motorcycles because of the fuel savings....

I would get a scooter, but 50 miles.....
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 02:22:15 PM »

You all know I embrace the risks and generally thow caution to the wind when I swing a leg over one of my bikes.  Evil 

YOU?  You're the most cautious rider out there!   cheeky

No, just in all seriousness, I'm aware of my own mortality.  I had my one get off at the track in full gear, suffered no injuries, and now know that I want to avoid doing that again as much as I humanly can.  At lights I never take the bike out of gear, hands off the bars, or eyes out of my mirrors until I see that the car behind me has come to a stop.  I'm always prepared to shoot off to one side or another to avoid making an Emily sandwich.  However, especially with the piss poor choice I made in a first bike, it scared the poop out of me to ride at first.  I just forced myself to do it and forced my vision into that wide angle lens mode.  I had friends telling me that I should do this and shouldn't do that and should think about waiting a few months before I started commuting and such and such.  None of them had ever ridden with me and most had never even ridden a motorcycle.  I figured that the longer I remained a nervous rider, the more of a danger I was to myself and those around me.  I gained my confidence in commuting and rides by myself.  Group rides or riding in pairs made me too nervous at first.  It doesn't take 300+ mile day rides on the weekends to get confidence.  It takes going outside, turning the key, hitting that start button, and throwing that leg over.  It doesn't matter if you're going to the grocery store to get some bread or if you're going to explore a new road.  I found that it just mattered that I made it a daily commitment until I was comfortable.

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
jetpuff716

'06 S2R 800 (Black & Tang); '06 PS1000

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 03:09:48 PM »

She's 35, single (never been married), bl/red, 5'8", very easy on the eyes.  (Down, Tony.) 

You meant Tim, right?

mdubya

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 04:25:23 PM »

YOU?  You're the most cautious rider out there!   cheeky

No, just in all seriousness, I'm aware of my own mortality.  I had my one get off at the track in full gear, suffered no injuries, and now know that I want to avoid doing that again as much as I humanly can.  At lights I never take the bike out of gear, hands off the bars, or eyes out of my mirrors until I see that the car behind me has come to a stop.  I'm always prepared to shoot off to one side or another to avoid making an Emily sandwich.  However, especially with the piss poor choice I made in a first bike, it scared the poop out of me to ride at first.  I just forced myself to do it and forced my vision into that wide angle lens mode.  I had friends telling me that I should do this and shouldn't do that and should think about waiting a few months before I started commuting and such and such.  None of them had ever ridden with me and most had never even ridden a motorcycle.  I figured that the longer I remained a nervous rider, the more of a danger I was to myself and those around me.  I gained my confidence in commuting and rides by myself.  Group rides or riding in pairs made me too nervous at first.  It doesn't take 300+ mile day rides on the weekends to get confidence.  It takes going outside, turning the key, hitting that start button, and throwing that leg over.  It doesn't matter if you're going to the grocery store to get some bread or if you're going to explore a new road.  I found that it just mattered that I made it a daily commitment until I was comfortable.

I agree. I think you have got to do what you are comfortable with. Your 'in traffic' strategy sounds very well thought out. I could never do the commute thing because I was always afraid I would be taken down by the 5-0 (no self control).  laughingdp  I did spend a few years as an m/c courier on the streets of DC. As far as I could tell, there were no enforcable traffic laws in DC. But parking enforcement? That is a different matter entirely.  Police  That's where they get ya.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: