Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:45:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to improve your riding skills  (Read 9322 times)
Bizzarrini
Showing off his

'94 M900

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 01:16:13 AM »

Currently I'm reading Total Control (great book!), and also bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-Techniques-Develop-Confidence/dp/1893618072/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Seems to be a good read too!

"As a final touch, God created the Dutch"
duc996

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 07:54:11 PM »

Great tips!! that's what i do every ride is practice a technique or two,it's easy to loose focus when riding a bike.It's fun to practice though.

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
misti

Leap and the net will appear!

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 01:04:58 PM »

Great tips!! that's what i do every ride is practice a technique or two,it's easy to loose focus when riding a bike.It's fun to practice though.

Certainly good tips here in this thread.  I especially advocate the "practice on technique at a time" when riding and always try to improve your skills.  For someone getting back into riding after a crash then some kind of riding school or track day may help get some confidence back.  Riding techniques books are good sources of information as well.

Cheers

Misti

www.superbikeschool.com
www.mistihurst.com

misti

Leap and the net will appear!

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 03:39:30 PM »

Here is a question.  How do you know that the advice you are reading, or being given, is good and sound advice?  There are a lot of different books, riding schools, and people willing to give advice.  How do you really KNOW that it is good?

Misti

Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 09:05:02 AM »

Here is a question.  How do you know that the advice you are reading, or being given, is good and sound advice?  There are a lot of different books, riding schools, and people willing to give advice.  How do you really KNOW that it is good?

Misti

Interesting question.   Likely lots of parts to the answer too....

Their history both in riding and in teaching.   This is important because on one hand you want someone who was successfull at riding well, but on the other the ability to transfer information... to see what someone is doing being able to identify and impart to the rider correct feedback is more usefull as an instructor than just being good yourself.

The joke of those who can't do, teach, works both ways, because some very very skilled people have no ability to explain what they are doing or see what someone else is doing at all.

Talk to riders whose skill you admire/seek to emulate, and ask them their thoughts on a book or school.   There are some great new people out there, but a lengthy history in a profession is usually a good sign. 

Try it....  Nothing better than reading something or going to school and then trying it yourself.   Some people like to push the bar, some like to pull the other.  Is one wrong?  maybe for one person one is better (can't imagine pulling outside bar, but some visualize it that way).   Trail braking is the biggie...some say never some say allways...  etc.etc.   If an instructor makes no sense to you and how you think, not much progress is going to happen.  Try someone else and see.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 04:21:56 AM »

Am I the only one that pushes the inside bar and pulls on the outside bar?

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 04:25:57 AM »

Am I the only one that pushes the inside bar and pulls on the outside bar?
Nope

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
FortyTwo

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 02:46:27 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I picked up 4 books from the library today, inlcuding Twist fo the Wrist 2, and Proficient Motorcycling parts 1 and 2.  My local branch didn't carry the other recommendations, but I'll look for them elsewhere.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: