Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 09:27:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Rattle or Not To Rattle?  (Read 6116 times)
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 10:43:20 AM »

I used less than two cans to do the last tank I did.

As far as the two part clear that is what I was trying to convey when I mentioned the clear with the catalyst. It will not be affected by spilling fuel on it as it is basically the same stuff used in body shops just being shot out of a spray can rather than a HVLP gun.  waytogo

How many coats did you get with 2 cans? Those dupli color cans barely gave me 1.5 coats per a can. I got 6 coats of clear on mine.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 12:09:48 PM »

How many coats did you get with 2 cans? Those dupli color cans barely gave me 1.5 coats per a can. I got 6 coats of clear on mine.

It's all relative depending on how heavy of a coat you put on. It's better to do many light coats rather than only a few heavy coats. Also keep in mind, the product I'm talking about is a little better quality than Krylon or Dupli Color.

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
vampireduc

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 01:25:33 PM »

OK, I just got back from the recommended local powdercoater.  He quoted me $530 for my frame and tank.  Good deal? 

Of the good in you I can speak but not of evil.  For what is evil but good tortured by its own hunger and thirst.

'97 M750...sold
'99 900ss...project, waiting on parts to finish the rebuild (sold)
'99 750ss...parts for the 900ss (sold)
'97 M750...again!
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »

OK, I just got back from the recommended local powdercoater.  He quoted me $530 for my frame and tank.  Good deal? 

Your thinking of powdercoating your tank? I can see the frame but  idon't think I've ever heard of it being done to a tank.

Is the $530 including all the prep work? If so than it's not a terrible deal. My guy did a frame for a buddy of mine last year and it was $150 but we did all the prep work to get it ready for PC.  Huh?

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
spinned

time to ride!

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 06:18:07 PM »

I think the rattle can or spray bomb idea is ok only if you are skilled at painting with these techniques.  If you already went to all of the trouble to prep it, and you don't have much experience with painting, I would shell out the bucks and do it right.  I know you won't regret a good paint job, but you will always be looking at the lousy paint job wondering if you should have had it professionally painted.

vampireduc

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »

I have a friend that has his own pro paint gear.  (no he isn't a pro...yes he has painted a lot before) I'm thinking that I'll skip the powdercoating due to cost right now and I don't want my frame and tank just sitting bare.  So, here is the good news.  Tank prep is finished!  doing it by hand takes a little while but is worth it.  The frame has a few joints that I still need to get my hand in there to clean out. 

Hopefully the weather this next week stays agreeable to get to painting.  Matte Black Frame...Pearl white (848) Tank.

Of the good in you I can speak but not of evil.  For what is evil but good tortured by its own hunger and thirst.

'97 M750...sold
'99 900ss...project, waiting on parts to finish the rebuild (sold)
'99 750ss...parts for the 900ss (sold)
'97 M750...again!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: