Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 02:54:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At least it was the less expensive bike...  (Read 6276 times)
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 08:47:25 PM »

Every year I read at least half a dozen stories about fairly new riders seeing how far they can lean their bike over in a fairly low speed turn and then wondering why they lost traction and crashed it.  More often than not it is in fairly cold conditions.

The biggest mistake is in going for lean angle instead of just seeing how smoothly you can make it through the turn.  I'm always trying to get through turns with the minimum amount of lean overall.  And I'm especially sure to reduce the lean requirements if there is paint, metal covers, or brick sidewalks in the middle of the turn.

You might have saved it on the Monster, but you might have been able to get even more lean angle which would have produced the same result.

I'm quite certain that you could benefit from reading Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough.  He covers many different road hazards and how to deal with them.  If you haven't read the book, get a copy and study it.  If you have read it, read it again.  It will make a difference in how safely you are able to ride.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
yotogi

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 07:44:43 AM »

Funny that you mention that book. I was starting to read it just before the accident and have since seen several decisions that were not ideal leading into the crash. The good news is that I have the opportunity to demonstrate that I have learned lessons from it.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: