Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 12:05:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: California Superbike School???  (Read 8592 times)
gm2

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 03:13:11 PM »

I was shocked at their pressure to take potassium.   This can be rather dangerous.   The several docs we had that day agreed and all commented on it.  Please talk with your doctor about this prior to blindly popping potassium in the quantities they suggest.

1 tab after each ride, if you feel woozy or unfocused.  granted i'm no doc but it's always seemed to work well.

Like this is the racing, no?
lin

2007 Black S4RS

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 05:19:20 AM »

I'm looking at signing up for a session with Keith Codes School and was wondering .....
- Anyone whose been to one, how was the experience?

I just did the 2-day camp at VIR, North Course. I can't speak for the one day schools which are apparently different based on price alone. You'd have to check w/CSS about the differences. Awesome doesn't begin to describe the experience. 7 sessions each day. 6-9 laps per session. I was ready for more. However, there were some that were cutting sessions short and/or worn out by end of day. It will depend on your fitness for sure. Awesome coaches. You will get better if you listen which in the end will make you faster. Timesheets w/your laptimes at the end of the day. A CD w/your camera bike footage. The track was never crowded. The level 3/4 guys were on track while I was in class. Then, we would swap out. So, 12 of us on track w/an assortment of instructors lurking about. They would pop out of nowhere at the most bizarro of times/places leaving you to wonder just how he/she got next to you.

- This will be my first track experience. Is this a good introduction experience?

This was my first track experience. I wanted to get a 'proper' introduction to the track. There were 12 of us. I was paired w/another student. We were paired w/2 coaches, Cobie and John,  for all of the track sessions on both days. You can request a coaching change if you want. However, I enjoyed Cobie and John. The continuity of the same coaches for two days was also a bonus. During every session, I saw both coaches on track. After every session, we did a review of the session. Then, it's back to the classroom to prep for the next session. There was also one lap per day on the camera bike followed by a video review w/a coach.

- Is it worth the price tag?

Yes, the 2-day camp costs more. I think it was worth every penny. You can show up w/or w/out gear. I brought my own helmet, boots, and gloves. I wore their leathers (AGV Sport). No, they did not stink. Yes, they actually fit me perfectly. They feed you good food. There was plenty of fresh fruit and water all day as well. They coach you. You ride their bikes which are ready to go w/new tires and always fueled. The track isn't crowded. Lastly, the entire staff just seems like a really great group of people. AND, I will go back for the level 3/4 camp.

- Any other general first-time advice?

Be prepared for a new expensive addiction. Someone said something about the 'track pipe'. Now, I understand.
If you want more info about the sessions, let me know and I'll post up w/the session breakdown.

p.s.. don't take the sodium and potassium pills. unless you're severely malnourished, dehydrated, or something else unhealthy. you don't need those pills. drink plenty of water. eat a banana or two. have some gatorade. those pills are just too much.
gm2

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 08:27:13 AM »

Yes, the 2-day camp costs more. I think it was worth every penny. You can show up w/or w/out gear. I brought my own helmet, boots, and gloves. I wore their leathers (AGV Sport). No, they did not stink. Yes, they actually fit me perfectly. They feed you good food. There was plenty of fresh fruit and water all day as well. They coach you. You ride their bikes which are ready to go w/new tires and always fueled. The track isn't crowded. Lastly, the entire staff just seems like a really great group of people.

all of this is true of the 1-day schools, fwiw.

lin

2007 Black S4RS

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 09:39:31 AM »

all of this is true of the 1-day schools, fwiw.

not exactly....
if you want to use their bike for the 1-day schools, it cost you an extra $200.
if you want to use their riding gear for the 1-day schools, it's an extra $75.
if you want lap times for the 1-day school, it's an extra $20
the 2-day camp includes all of the above.

doing the math... assuming their bike, their gear, lap times:
2 consecutive days of 1-day school (i.e. level 1 and 2): $1490
2 day camp (level 1/2): $2250

so, the question is what accounts for the $760 difference? # of track sessions? student coach ratio? camera bike and video review? etc..
anyone??
sqweak
WebGeeK

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 10:18:41 AM »

The 2 day camp has a few extra sessions, a little better student:coach ratio, and camera bike.  That said, the 1 day camps are in no way lacking. As you demonstrated, the math works out that you could do 3 days/levels on their bike for less than a 2 day camp.  At that point, the extra sessions (and maybe camera bike?) advantage is erased.

2007 S4R-T (street)
Black CRG Hindsight LS, Black CRG Roll-A-Click Levers, Black Rizoma Conical Handlebars, DP Open Airbox, Clear Alternatives Integrated LED Brakelight w/ Smoke Lens, Removed: Chopped (w/ Cookie's kit), Sidepods & Wiring relocated, Passenger pegs, Stickers

2001 Suzuki SV650 (track)
gm2

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 10:28:03 AM »

camera bike and 1-on-1 review of your riding (i.e. watching the tape with a coach) is part of level 3.  or maybe it's 4.  but i think it's 3.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:41:13 AM by gm2 » Logged

hydra

life is analog...

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »

i'm doing my first track day next month at button willow.

i would think it's better to be on your bike rather than a rental to get to really know your bike?

S4 Foggy- tires, battery...
'04 BMW Boxer Cup Replika (R1100S)
BE WATER
sqweak
WebGeeK

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 12:25:03 AM »

Are you doing CSS first? I don't think CSS runs at buttonwillow Huh?

As far as renting for CSS, It's been my experience that the lessons learned are easily transferred to your own bike on the street/track.  The added benefit of a rental is that you're divorcing yourself from the emotional and financial attachment.  If you go back and read my review, i'm not sure I would have had that "ah-hah" moment of throwing the bike into the turn if I'd been on my beloved monster as opposed to their 636 that I knew I had limited financial liability towards.  The zxr is also a relatively easy bike to ride (I'd never ridden a I4 before Wink)

2007 S4R-T (street)
Black CRG Hindsight LS, Black CRG Roll-A-Click Levers, Black Rizoma Conical Handlebars, DP Open Airbox, Clear Alternatives Integrated LED Brakelight w/ Smoke Lens, Removed: Chopped (w/ Cookie's kit), Sidepods & Wiring relocated, Passenger pegs, Stickers

2001 Suzuki SV650 (track)
hydra

life is analog...

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 08:15:58 AM »

Are you doing CSS first? I don't think CSS runs at buttonwillow Huh?
some people i know have organized a kind of private track day... Grin
i will do CSS before the end of the year.

S4 Foggy- tires, battery...
'04 BMW Boxer Cup Replika (R1100S)
BE WATER
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 10:20:50 AM »

I am signing up for the September session at streets of willow.  The funny thing is I didn't want to take my monster to the track for various obvious reasons.  So I decided to buy a used 2005 Ninja ZX6R,  but the guy selling it is very hesitant to give me a test ride....Perfect cuz the school uses the exact bike I want to buy!  I've never been to a track this should be perfect.

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: