Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 09:22:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati Demo Day at MotoCorsa  (Read 3177 times)
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« on: May 10, 2008, 11:38:48 PM »

Great day!

Went up to MC after my volunteer fundraiser gig, got signed up for a test ride.  I was actually looking to ride the fuglystrada, but it was booked for the afternoon.  So instead I got to ride this:

It was out riding when I signed up, so I thought it was just yer plain ole Sport1000S (the red one with the half fairing).  The ride gets back... and I see this.  Ohlins fork, Termi pipes, and the 70's style racer-wannabe fairing.  Very cool looking, actually, these pics don't do the bike justice.

They had a cool group ride set up.  Safety guys in the lead, following, and mid-pack.  Looks like there were around a dozen bikes.  Planned route: Out from MotoCorsa, south on 405 to Hwy 26, 26 to the top of Sylvan Hill, from there to Skyline, north on Skyline to Germantown Rd, down the hill to Hwy 30, and back to MotoCorsa.

The verdict: that bike is a friggin torture rack!  Tongue  The clipon clamps of the S-model are spaced about an inch below the upper triple, lowering the bars quite a bit when compared to a regular Sport1000 (which has the tall ST3-style clipons).  After ~40 minutes of riding, my right hand was in pain and tingling.  Left wasn't quite as bad, but definitely not pleasant.  It takes 2 hours on my SS to get my hands to the same level of discomfort.  Then about halfway in my hip started bothering me... the pegs felt nicer than the SS at first, but either the peg position, or seat shape, or some combination thereof made it highly uncomfortable.

I wasn't fond of the 1000ds motor in that bike, either.  Vibrated like a SOB, got buzzy, really harsh on/off throttle transitions, just all sorts of nastiness.  I much prefer the behaviour of my 900ie mill.  Mine hardly vibrates or buzzes once you get it above 3500 rpm.  Clutch action would take come getting used to.  I thought my dry clutch was harsh... I had a harder time making smooth upshifts on that wet-clutch 1000ds.  Not sure if my problem was the clutch or the engine's throttle response.

Sooooo..... I won't be buying one of those.  I should have signed up for the old-man bike, the GT1000.

Alls I know is, when I climbed back on my 900SS it felt like a well-broken-in glove, which was a very welcome sensation.  Not perfect (I still need to lower the pegs a tad), but the clipons and seat are darn-near perfect for me.

Also saw JD & one of his engineer friends, talked to Kat about some of the new Dainese gear they've gotten, and since this was a DNA-sponsored event I enjoyed some free beverages.  drink  Since I cannot leave MC without buying something, I picked up a can of Plexus plastic polish.  Now my helmet is nice and shiney.  waytogo  And of course, can't forget window shopping for crap I can't afford... Speedymoto pressure plates for $300... and  Marsee makes a really cool tangbag that mounts on the Ducati gascap so the bag is securely bolted down, but doesn't touch the paintwork.  The Marsee 11litre Rocket Pocket tankbag is normally ~$120 for the standard version... this Ducati specialty bag?  $199.  Shocked  Couple hundred here, couple hundred there... pretty soon it starts adding up to real money.  C'est la Vie.

So yeah, decent day, neat ride, but the bike is definitely not one I'll ever be buying.  I think that permanently knocks the Paul Smart off the list, too.  Still need to go test ride the fuglystrada and an ST.  Of course, if I can ever get a rearset lowering adapter made for my SS, I may just stick with it, considering how well the rest of it fits.  Motorcycles are like shoes for me... it's a PITA to find one that fits right, and often it's worthwhile to just stick with styles I know work.  It doesn't hurt that the Supersport is getting more than its fair share of compliments this spring, particularly from some of my ladyfriends...  Wink

Before I go, here's a couple more cell-phone camera pics...

(^ "Fresco" effect applied in photobucket)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 11:42:30 PM by duc_fan » Logged

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
Dan337

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:05:05 PM »

I went too, had a great time!  In fact, I'm in the background of one of your pics above, grinning from ear to ear LOL!

More here:  http://www.tjrubley.com/2008/05/ducati-demo-day-a-kid-in-a-kick-ass-candy-store/

dc

duc_fan

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 08:29:03 PM »

Hey, the photography is mutual... I'm the tall guy in the tan short-sleeve over grey long-sleeve, with blue jeans.

Read your review, and I have to agree with the on/off throttle response.  I was riding that red Sport 1000 in the 3-o'clock group.  I probably looked like a total newb on departure... I've got a little over 3k miles on my 900SS, but that SC1000S was a different beast, and not for the better.  Tongue  I know I looked really bad on leaving, because the clutch is a helluva lot lighter with that wet APTC slipper (or whatever their acronym is), the throttle is a helluva lot touchier on the 1000ds (I'm used to a stout dry clutch and the less severe initial throttle response of the older Weber-Marelli EFI).  And they just started to take off without making sure everyone was geared up, so I was rushed (never good for a thinker/engineer).

<rant> I love how everyone's always in a fracking hurry to leave on "leisure" rides.  I dunno about everyone else, but I'm out to enjoy myself, and it's kinda hard to do so when I don't have the time to make sure all the bloody zippers are closed, button are snapped, etc.  Good lord people, friggin' slow down and relax already... we're all new to these bikes (hello... they're "DEMOS").  Does nobody remember the stern words of caution from the MSF about most moto wrecks happening when riders are on unfamiliar bikes?  You'd think they might want to be a little more careful with unfamiliar riders on $10000-$15000 machines.  Roll Eyes </rant>

Anyway, other than the torture rack the SC1000S was, and the poor departure coordination, it was still a cool event.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 06:48:56 AM »

I demo'd a SC GT 1000... very comfortable ride... and probably the most comfy two up bike I have ever ridden. (This was last summer though.) The bike drew thumbs up from the Harley guys... but it is definately a cruiser that corners like a Duc. Very fun... they even have side bags for it, and white wall tires.... this thing will eat any Harley up in both looks and performance. 

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
duc_fan

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 09:37:34 AM »

^ I had the chance to switch to the GT1000 and missed it...  I was too enamored with the flashy-looking Sport1000S, and of course I didn't realise how uncomfortable it would be shortly into the ride (hence the point of riding a demo bike).

<warning: thinker's ramble ahead coffee>

I have to wonder if the GT1000 isn't what I should be looking at... I want two-up capabilty, comfortable yet sporty handling, ease of maintenance (relatively speaking), and of course it would be nice if the bike had aesthetic appeal.  The ST4s would be a bigger pain to maintain than my SS because of the water cooling and 4v heads.  The Multistrada is ugly as sin.  The GT1000 is beautiful and has a nicely exposed Desmodue mill... the downside to it is the lower end suspension and brakes.  I'd be looking at the ST4s (Showa/Ohlins suspenders with beasty brakes), or the MTS 1000/1100S (Ohlins suspenders and again, beasty brakes).  Compared to those, the GT1000 is a bit on the humble side... though yes, it will absolutely run circles around a H-D.

I should ask MC about test riding a GT1000 and their MTS 1100S back-to-back (or a GT1000 and the used ST4 in the showroom), and see if the MTS' handling feels that much better to me.

I also need to get some lowering brackets made for my SS' pegs, because the seat & clipons are darn-near perfect for me, it's just that the pegs are a tad too high.  After testing the SC1000S, my 900SS felt like a nicely broken-in, properly fitted glove.

And no, I don't expect anyone to actually read my rambling...  cheeky  I'm just thinking out loud.

spinned

time to ride!

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 09:42:21 AM »

I wanted to ride th 1098 but it wasn't listed as a demo bike.  Maybe a used one will come up that some of us can ride as a  demo.

duc_fan

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 09:45:44 AM »

I wanted to ride th 1098 but it wasn't listed as a demo bike.  Maybe a used one will come up that some of us can ride as a  demo.

They did have a couple 848s available, but from what I heard, those were completely booked early in the day.

Dan337

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 01:40:02 PM »

I was complaining aloud about the tank on the Sport 1000 and the rider who demo'd the GT next to me suggested I try sitting on it for comparison.  It has nice scalloped sides on the tank and was much easier to hold.  My .02 on the ergos Smiley

dc

duc_fan

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 01:58:56 PM »

Actually, for me the scalloped tank on the GT is a bit of an annoyance... it's pretty, but my knees don't fit in the cutouts, so they awkwardly touch right at the highest point of the scalloped edge (I have the same problem with the BMW R1100S).  The tank used on the Sport versions works better for me.  The problem I had was the lowered clipons of the 1000S, specifically (the clipons are lowered to clear the fairing, or so it appears).  The angles were all wrong for me.  Not certain whether they were simply too low, or if the angles were wrong.  Then my hip started bothering me due to some issue between the seat and pegs, though now that I think about it... the wider tank may have contributed to the pain.  I'm used to the more svelte SS, where the only issue is the higher peg height (hard on my knees).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: