Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 03:42:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: accident on 360 this a.m.  (Read 2190 times)
calscrazy

« on: November 06, 2008, 07:51:29 AM »

i had the "zach rant" with one of our lube techs' brother a few weeks ago. he bought a gsxr 750. never owned a bike never been to the msf course. so this morn i am sitting in traffic thinkn' to myself what dumb arse tried to see if their car would fit underneath another. as i approach i see a motorcycle laid over and some our techs loading it into a truck. i go onto to work only to find it was the same kid i had spoken with weeks prior about gear and proper training. he says the car in front of him braked and he had no other option. i said "how close were you to the car."" pretty close i was in traffic." he comes out of with scrapped up elbows, knees and hands. he had mechanix gloves ( not a bike glove), t-shirt (no jacket) and shorts. as i told him at least you wore a helmet otherwise those scratches on the side of it would be on your head. the bike needs new shifter, fairing, clutch lever, crank cover, mirror and some minor stuff.  i told him how the maxi pads work better for his wounds than gauze because they won't stick (ty lyd). he only has liability and now doesn't know if he wants the bike back. i think it scared him and didn't really know what tell him to encourage him to not give up and to take the neccessary precautions and courses to help avoid this situation. it didn't seem like the right tim for I TOLD YOU SO.

home will always be between the red and rio!!!
2007 m695 errr recently passed away
Jester

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:10:47 AM »

he only has liability and now doesn't know if he wants the bike back. i think it scared him and didn't really know what tell him to encourage him to not give up

One thing they first tell you at MSF is that they want you to be a motorcycle rider for life.  This is why they teach you about safety and gear.  Typically, this scenario plays out to the tune of "I had a motorcycle once about 30 years ago, and it scared the piss out of me so I quit riding."  I hope he sticks with it, but its sad to see this happen.

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
fastwin
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:19:20 AM »

Personally, I'd rather see him quit. That way we won't read about him in the obits and he won't make our insurance go up. Certain people just don't need to be bike riders. Just like certain people shouldn't own a gun. It's not for everyone. He's lucky he's still alive. He should just go with that.
newslacker

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 09:40:51 AM »

Personally, I'd rather see him quit. That way we won't read about him in the obits and he won't make our insurance go up. Certain people just don't need to be bike riders. Just like certain people shouldn't own a gun. It's not for everyone. He's lucky he's still alive. He should just go with that.

I agree with Brian. I've ridden with all kinds of people. A few of them I really want to encourage not to ride because they don't really get it. Probably safer that this guy stays off the street.

2007 S4Rs
fuzzykeith

'07 1098; '06 S2R1K

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:43:23 PM »

+1 I hope he resists the macho urge to get back on and prove himself.  This is the reason we hear words like "donorcycle", "you'll kill yourself on that thing" and all of the other annoying reminders of the risk we carefully choose to take.  It is not for the timid, careless or inattentive driver.  I am actually on an email distribution list from one of the girls in my MSF course - and I remember her saying in the class she was 'gonna get me a badazz gixxer 1000'.  Her emails are to inform us of upcoming squid rallies, usually in honor of 'fallen friends' (fallen=DEAD) and the pictures show groups riding in their flip flops, helmetless - and the kegs of beer at their rallies.  It's like a cigarette in one hand and an oxygen tank in the other, some people are unable to understand the correlation.   bang head

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you just want to find the good pieces and feed the rest to your dog."
GeorgeInDallas

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:28:32 PM »

Amen.  Y'know, there are some people who just don't listen.  Most of them are real young.  Maybe he was macho, maybe it was youth, but his fear may be saving his life.  His accident may have taught him something about the value of counsel from older, more experienced people in other venues.  Let him go.  In peace.

Pura vida!

George

"It's about the ride.", Peter Fonda in Wild Hogs.
pipeliner1978
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 08:39:07 PM »

Most of them are real old. 
fixed

I see most younger people atleast wear helmets..........I cant tell you how many "mature" gents ride their cruisers around with jeans and t-shirts and no helmet.  And then they wanna look at me and my sportbike and think dangerous.........  make the beast with two backsin idiots 

Gotta love the looks you get when you wear full gear into a meetup spot.  Roll Eyes

sdlrodeo

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 08:51:50 PM »

I do believe there are people who shouldn't ride bikes/own guns,circular or chain saws, heck, even knitting needles. I also think that people for the most part are open to suggestion if it is given tactfully. I agree that now might not be a great time for " i told you so", however in a week or two, it might just be a good time. If everyone who does have experience and knowledge just gives up on him, the only people that will "take him under their wing" are the squids. If you know this guy, let him know a little more about a really fun way to learn more thru proper practice via msf courses and track days. Maybe he'll get it this time. I vote for a second chance. after that, well...

I've been really lucky to have gotten in with some good folks. That along with my desire to do things with a bit more preplanning via books and videos helped me truly enjoy this awesome lifestyle.

Steve

Wrist is to throttle as finger is to trigger.
Kevin848

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 02:27:12 AM »

Ahhh yes... to be young and think you know everything and no one can tell you otherwise. Glad to hear hes ok for the most part but I have to agree with everyone else. If he is opposed to getting the proper gear, training and just listening to the advice of someone who has more seat time than he does, then maybe its best he give up the GSXR at least until he matures a bit.
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 05:34:28 AM »

Ahhh yes... to be young and think you know everything and no one can tell you otherwise.

Hey- I'm old and I STILL think that laughingdp

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
LYD

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 06:31:22 AM »

Hey- I'm old and I STILL think that laughingdp
Yes scot you are old, but not as old as brian!  laughingdp  And we know you know everything  waytogo  Well he was on the right bike for squidding!!  Sorry to hear about anybody crashing, but damit WEAR ALL YOUR GEAR!!!!!!!!!

RIP cdc

01 900 monster
01 748
02 900ss (trackbike)
12 1200s Multistrada
Asia1098

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 07:04:49 AM »

Sorry to hear about that. Sometimes, people just have to learn it the hard way. I hope he learned his lesson. Good thing he had on a helmet.  Roll Eyes

Barry
I liked my Hondas, but I loooooved my DUC!!!
2004 Honda 599 Hornet in Ashalt....again.
2007 Ducati 1098 Smiley---SOLD!!!
2006 Honda VFR 800i---SOLD!!!
2006 Honda CBR 600rr---SOLD!!!
2004 Honda 599 Hornet yellow---SOLD!!!
Failure is success if we learn from it.
LYD

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 09:03:01 AM »

chris, hows your co-worker doing??

RIP cdc

01 900 monster
01 748
02 900ss (trackbike)
12 1200s Multistrada
calscrazy

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 09:05:26 AM »

he'll be fine just his pride mostly. he's got scraped up knees, elbows and hands. his hands got it the worst. he's the brother of one of the guys i work with.

home will always be between the red and rio!!!
2007 m695 errr recently passed away
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: