Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 07, 2024, 01:22:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 129   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official DMF Bicycle Thread  (Read 433524 times)
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2008, 08:08:22 AM »

^^ That photo makes my heart hurt. So sorry for your loss!

Fitting ends for beautiful bikes that will ride no more -- hang it on the wall as art (I had a couple of busted frames and a defunct Spinergy CF wheel on my office walls back when I, um, had an office), or cut it up to make bike race trophies, a la Boston Cross:

http://www.bostoncross.com/trophy_party.html

It's the answer to the oft-posed question: What happens when you mix bike geeks, powertools and alcohol?

waytogo for safe drilling practices! 

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
FatguyRacer

The A-hole fomerly known as Blueshark928

« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2008, 09:49:52 AM »

^^ That photo makes my heart hurt. So sorry for your loss!

Fitting ends for beautiful bikes that will ride no more -- hang it on the wall as art (I had a couple of busted frames and a defunct Spinergy CF wheel on my office walls back when I, um, had an office), or cut it up to make bike race trophies, a la Boston Cross:

http://www.bostoncross.com/trophy_party.html

It's the answer to the oft-posed question: What happens when you mix bike geeks, powertools and alcohol?

BTW, I noticed you were ruminating about repair on another thread; sad to say, that one's terminal. Not only will you need to replace the seat & downtubes and the BB shell (so you're re-doing ALL of the primary welds), but it's a TIG welded frame so won't sweat apart the way a soldered, lugged steel frame would. Basically, you'd have to find a builder who'd be willing to mill & miter off everything that's bad along with every convex joint it's attached to, so your head tube disappears as well, and at that point the top tube with it. By the time you're finished, all you'd have left of your old IF would be the seat stays, chainstays and the dropouts. It's time to let go. 

I just spoke to them. It's toast. They've offered me a new one at crash replacement price that I would be crazy to pass up. Only question is what color and do I pay an upcharge for custom paint. So now I have to figure out how to get the team CAAD9 too. I have enough parts to build 3-4 bikes so It shouldnt cost me too much.

I'm going to strip the old one down and hang it on the wall.

John Krawczyk
2002 Ducati ST4s (FIM chip, Arrow Carbys, Sargent seat, DP comfort fairing, Ducati Designs headlight, Toby steering dampener)
My Blog - The Chronicles of Fatguy Racer
Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »

Finally got around to digging them out of the accumulated dust:

It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger.

* A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition *
Sinister

« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2008, 07:24:57 AM »

Hey, cyclists, I have a question.  I'm mostly a mtb'er.  However, I have a rigid-frame mountainbike sitting in the garage and I want to start using as a trainer.  Is it feasible to turn this bike into a cyclocross bike?  I haven't even looked up the specs for a cyclocross-style bike, yet.  Just curious. 

Anybody here race cyclocross? 

"...but without a smiley, some people might think that sentence makes you look like a homophobic, inbred prick. I'm mean, it might leave the impression that you're a  douchebag or a dickhead, or maybe you need to get your head out of your ass."  DrunkenMonkey

"...any government that thinks war is somehow fair and subject to rules like a baseball game probably should not get into one." - Marcus Luttrell
red baron

« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2008, 07:29:58 AM »

I wonder if she knows about the GTGs at the Rhodeside every Wednesday?

Oh and my IF is kaput. Broke on a ride last thursday. I am very sad. Like losing a friend.

Totally repairable.

Unless you want to upgrade. Grin

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
FatguyRacer

The A-hole fomerly known as Blueshark928

« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2008, 08:37:25 AM »

I agree, but it would cost almost as much to repair as it would for them to build me a new one. Since i'd want the dinged top tube replaced as well they would have to replace the whole triangle. Besides, who knows how bad the corrosion is in the rest of the bike, sealed tubes or not. The seat tube is the only tube not sealed and it corroded. The down tube looks good, but its ruined becuse its been torn.

For the replacement price they quoted me, I'll take a new one! It'll be easier to find forks since everyone has gone to 1 1/8" headtubes. The old one was originally 1" and had a threaded fork and quill stem. I retro fitted a 1" threadless Alpha Q carbon for 2 years ago and will now sell it on Ebay and buy a new Alpha Q for the frame. I dont  like the Reynolds forks IF specs. I prefer the straight bladed Alpha Q. I like the feel and feedback of straight blade forks.

John Krawczyk
2002 Ducati ST4s (FIM chip, Arrow Carbys, Sargent seat, DP comfort fairing, Ducati Designs headlight, Toby steering dampener)
My Blog - The Chronicles of Fatguy Racer
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2008, 10:07:22 AM »

Hey, cyclists, I have a question.  I'm mostly a mtb'er.  However, I have a rigid-frame mountainbike sitting in the garage and I want to start using as a trainer.  Is it feasible to turn this bike into a cyclocross bike?  I haven't even looked up the specs for a cyclocross-style bike, yet.  Just curious. 

I dabbled a number of years ago.  The short answer is sorta.  Chances are you can lace up some 700 rims onto disc hubs, then pick up a road stem and drop bars.  IMHO, you're better off getting a used Kona or Redline for $700 and just put some narrow semi-slicks on the MTB.

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2008, 10:28:19 AM »

Cyclocross rocks. My favorite racing discipline, hands down. I'd put semi-slick MTB race tire on it as noted above (no need to switch the wheels or other components around) like the Schwalbe Furious Fred or Racing Ralph (dumb names; cool tires). Then start hanging out with 'crossers who can show you the dismounts & remounts. For training, go out and take it on some fast rides at your favorite XC-MTB spots, and on log crossings or other spots where you'd use fat tires & suspension (plus a lot of good technique) to bash over, practice your Belgian step-through dismount instead.

Or just use it as-is and change your technique to suit the course; I used to have my hardtail MTB in the pits at 'cross races as a back up bike (never could quite justify spending the money on a the back-up CX bike I really wanted) with whatever tires I had on it at the time, though I'd run them a lot harder than I would for a day on the trails. Though I was a tad slower on pavement or fast flats and felt clumsy over the barriers, I wasn't giving THAT much away when I was forced onto the hardtail MTB, and on really muddy courses or on courses set up by a MTBer it was nearly a wash.

Find a couple of races this fall and just go have a great time. If you get the bug, you'll be in the market for a full-on cyclocross bike anyway, so I'd save my money on trying to fully convert a mountain bike into something it's not and just enjoy the fact that you can get that MTB 90% of the way there without spending much at all.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 11:00:18 AM by triangleforge » Logged

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Sinister

« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2008, 02:22:29 PM »

Thanks, 'forge.

"...but without a smiley, some people might think that sentence makes you look like a homophobic, inbred prick. I'm mean, it might leave the impression that you're a  douchebag or a dickhead, or maybe you need to get your head out of your ass."  DrunkenMonkey

"...any government that thinks war is somehow fair and subject to rules like a baseball game probably should not get into one." - Marcus Luttrell
Fresh Pants

Moof

« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2008, 03:15:48 PM »

'Cross is for masochistic crazy people. Well done.  waytogo

Bwooooooahhh
Braaaaaaaappp
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2008, 07:21:19 PM »

Finishing up a FELT single speed 29er
Speed Dream wheels w/ Chris King hubs
Avid Juicy Ultimate Disc brakes
Thomson seat tube and stem
Race Face CF bars
Race Face Crank/BB
Crank Bros Ti pedals
Rock Shox Reba SL

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2008, 07:25:51 PM »

http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/article.php?ID=1176&category=stuff_reviews

want waytogo

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
Fresh Pants

Moof

« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2008, 07:37:39 PM »

650B? Whacky bicycle "standards".

Tester was 5'-2" with a 30" inseam.
I'm 5'-8" with a 30" inseam.

Long legs I ain't.

Bwooooooahhh
Braaaaaaaappp
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2008, 07:41:27 PM »

I'd need it a tad bigger  laughingdp

6'2" 34 inseam

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2008, 07:44:06 PM »

I would go with IF (Fat City) for a custom frame.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 129   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: