Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 06, 2024, 07:21:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 129   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official DMF Bicycle Thread  (Read 433307 times)
oppet

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2008, 06:38:44 AM »

Heres mine steel crap
First usa steel

Then Rossin and some other tubing, from you know where

And soon to be Finnish singlespeed mountain bike ( Im not migging it, that earth gable is just for jig)

acalles

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2008, 07:03:05 AM »

83 diamond back silver streak

Its a work in progress.. needs a bunch of stuff,  and thinking about going with skyway tuff II's . trying to find as much era or factory correct as possible.. but it'll get street tires instead of dirt for usage as transportation when summer drinking season starts.  laughingdp
Rob Hilding

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2008, 07:18:01 AM »

Know why no one has posted in this thread?

Because bicycles suck.

There. I said it.

I thought you thought Harleys suck Grin

Desmosedici - it's the new Paso (except the bodywork doesn't fit as well)
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2008, 07:26:46 AM »

I told myself my reward for finishing laying all the flagstone for the patio would be to haul out the bicycles & take a pic for this thread. They're arranged in gear order, from the fewest to the mostest:

From Right to Left:

1977 Richard Sachs frameset: My first really good bike, currently hanging on the wall as art, awaiting paint (which it's been doing for years now...). Probably will put the Nuovo Record bits back on when/if I ever think I can afford Brian Bayliss or Joe Bell.

Same Era Flying Dutchman: Built as a fixed Gear, this one probably sees the most miles these days now that I'm not racing or training hard anymore. Since my last name, DeVries, is a good dutch surname, I looked long and hard for one of these & finally talked a former teammate out of his.

Fat Chance Yo Eddy MTB: Singlespeed, bay-bee! 

Voodoo Wazoo Cyclocross Bike: This frame raced in the world Championships in Tabor, Czech Republic -- though under Jeremy Powers as a Junior, not me.  Still, my favorite race bike & favorite racing discipline.

Quattro Assi Pro: My old road race bike. And let me explain -- the stem & bars are way up in the air because it's set up for my girlfriend while she decides what kind of ride we should get her. I'm pushing her toward 'cross, but she's fallen in love with the Fat Chance...

K2 Razorback MTB: Light enough, springy enough, XC dual suspension -- bought after a 3:00 a.m. revelation up in the hills above Snowshoe West Virginia that 24 hour MTB racing on a hardtail really, really sucks.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:32:58 AM by triangleforge » Logged

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
oppet

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2008, 07:33:18 AM »

I told myself my reward for finishing laying all the flagstone for the patiowould be to haul out the bicycles & take a pic for this thread. They're arranged in gear order, from the fewest to the mostest:

From Right to Left:

1977 Richard Sachs frameset: My first really good bike, currently hanging on the wall as art, awaiting paint (which it's been doing for years now...). Probably will put the Nuovo Record bits back on when/if I ever think I can afford Brian Bayliss or Joe Bell.

Same Era Flying Dutchman: Built as a fixed Gear, this one probably sees the most miles these days now that I'm not racing or training hard anymore. Since my last name, DeVries, is a good dutch surname, I looked long and hard for one of these & finally talked a former teammate out of his.

Fat Chance Yo Eddy MTB: Singlespeed, bay-bee! 

Voodoo Wazoo Cyclocross Bike: This frame raced in the world Championships in Tabor, Czech Republic -- though under Jeremy Powers as a Junior, not me.  Still, my favorite race bike & favorite racing discipline.

Quattro Assi Pro: My old road race bike. And let me explain -- the stem & bars are way up in the air because it's set up for my girlfriend while she decides what kind of ride we should get her. I'm pushing her toward 'cross, but she's fallen in love with the Fat Chance...

K2 Razorback MTB: Light enough, springy enough, XC dual suspension -- bought after a 3:00 a.m. revelation up in the hills above Snowshoe West Virginia that 24 hour MTB racing on a hardtail really, really sucks.

Surely you have invested for good hobby or was it proffession.  Sachs and fat eddy, NICE pics please.
I used to have raorback also, but more then that i miss my stolen -96 Kona Kula

Edit.. Uuups
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:36:32 AM by oppet » Logged
Fresh Pants

Moof

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2008, 08:23:45 AM »

thanks for the pointer, that certainly seems along the line of what i'm looking for! waytogo

There's also any number of urban assault bikes like the Giant STP, Specialized P-series, Kona hardtails, Santa Cruz Chameleon (like Manny's bike). Thin is, a lot of these are used for dual slalom/4-cross racing, and as a result have sort of laxed geomtery when compared to your average mountain bike, and usually weigh more than your average mountain bike. But, they're bombproof and essentially 26" wheel BMX bikes. They also tend to have single front chainrings, but sometimes can be setup to run dual front chainrings.

If you're not doing any long distance riding, urban hardtails are a lot of fun.

Bwooooooahhh
Braaaaaaaappp
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2008, 08:24:07 AM »

Surely you have invested for good hobby or was it proffession.  Sachs and fat eddy, NICE pics please.

+1, got any closeups of that Sachs? Grin

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
FatguyRacer

The A-hole fomerly known as Blueshark928

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2008, 09:30:25 AM »

Nice line up Brad! I like the Richard Sachs too. I got my IF because I wanted a Chris Chance, like the Snow Valley team bikes back in the mid-90's. Then they went tits up and their workers guys formed up IF. Luck has it that IF sponsored the Bike Doctor Elite road and MTB teams and I got a killer deal on my CJ. I guess i got a "Chris Chance" after all.

John Krawczyk
2002 Ducati ST4s (FIM chip, Arrow Carbys, Sargent seat, DP comfort fairing, Ducati Designs headlight, Toby steering dampener)
My Blog - The Chronicles of Fatguy Racer
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2008, 11:07:25 AM »

Pics by request (more fun than writing that business plan & memo on my to do list, or cleaning the house in anticipation of the sister-in-law's weekend visit that starts this afternoon... maybe I'm not cut out to work from home.)

The Fat Chance Yo Eddy:

Got the frame from a buddy of mine who was also into old Toyota Land Cruisers; nearly sold it before deciding I neeeeded a singlespeed (and had a close friend tell me he'd never speak to me again if I sold that damn bike). I really do love it, though do you have ANY idea how hard it is to find a decent 1" headtube front shock?

The VooDoo Wazoo:

Bought a pair of matched framesets from Jeremy Powers (who's currently racing pro for Jelly Belly, and is a monsterously good 'crosser), sold one to a guy on my team, which I frequently regretted during 'cross season because it's REALLY handy to have a spare bike in the pits. Since it was "VooDoo" and orange & black, I went with a Halloween theme, including the Spooky canti brakes & (not pictured) one of those embroidered Claudio Chiappucci "il Diablo" saddles. Best mod ever: the single chainring with guards on either side up front.

The Flying Dutchman:

Another '70s era custom builder. I really wanted this one in the creamsicle orange that was the other color you'll see old Dutchmen in, but the baby barf green has kinda grown on me, and beggars can't be choosers. Years before I owned the frame, I crashed & knocked the lever out of a right-hand brake, and kept the body for use on a whole series of fixed gear (no rear brake) bikes.

The 1977 Richard Sachs:

Love this bike through thick & thin, even though it's been years since I rode it. I even got it back after it was stolen in the late '80s by papering Washington DC with descriptions of the bike & quizzing couriers I knew if they'd seen it (they had). It showed up at City Bikes (FatGuyRacer will know the place) and they called the cops then called me. Was very cool to watch as the shop mechanic put the dubious detective on the phone with Richard Sachs himself to confirm that it was, indeed, my bike. I got to tell Richard that story a couple of years back when he and I were working in the pits at the Beacon Hill Cyclocross Race in Delaware.

And a closeup; this is what a Richard Sachs bottom bracket looks like inside -- beautiful hand-filed miter work where almost no one will ever see it, just because that's the Quality way to do things.

OK, back to work!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 10:52:28 AM by triangleforge » Logged

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Adam in TX

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2008, 11:38:55 AM »

My road racer is an 08 Specialized Tarmac Expert for now.  I'm in the blue and white jersey.  It was right around freezing for that race.

It was right around freezing for that race, and Jagstang and I both rode out monsters to the race... about 35 minutes on way. I'll tell ya, 90 mph, 8am, and 25-30 degrees for 30 minutes is really unpleasant.

I didn't race, but I motorpaced the race, and ran out of gas immediately after the finish (as I was hauling ass to what I though was the closest station)
Manny
Local Moderator

'06 MTS 1000ds S - sexier than ever

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2008, 12:07:16 PM »

hey Squeak:

Kona Stinky - $750
http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/681582104.html

Le Pirate

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2008, 12:50:02 PM »

I'll definitely go used if i can figure out what i'm looking for laughingdp

In essence, I want the Monster of bikes:
short distances (realistically, probably less than 5 miles at a time...*maybe* 10 every once in a while.)
equally at home cruising around a bike path or bombing around the city (hoppin curbs, planters, etc)
durable & low maintenance
subtle (++ to matte or raw finish)

you're describing the exact kind of riding i do on my specialized hardrock. 450 for the bike, plus i got a set of rhino lite wheels ( another 90 once built).

i bomb around town on it most of the time, but on the weekends it hits the trails (usually ride about a 20 mile loop on sunday afternoons). It jumps sets of stairs and bust ass on single track equally well, and never complains one bit about it. I love my cheep ass bike.

plus it's a hardtail (which i like better for in town)

DesmoDiva

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2008, 04:05:02 PM »

My new set of other wheels. 

2007 Trek 1600 WSD

Also have an old beaten Jamis Durango Mtn Bike

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2008, 06:55:18 PM »

My new set of other wheels. 

Sweet, congrats! chug

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
KnightofNi
Lift my kilt to see my

still wearing the tin foil hat

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2008, 07:15:42 PM »

you're describing the exact kind of riding i do on my specialized hardrock. 450 for the bike, plus i got a set of rhino lite wheels ( another 90 once built).

i bomb around town on it most of the time, but on the weekends it hits the trails (usually ride about a 20 mile loop on sunday afternoons). It jumps sets of stairs and bust ass on single track equally well, and never complains one bit about it. I love my cheep ass bike.

plus it's a hardtail (which i like better for in town)

my gary fisher tassajara pulls that duty. when i get the itch to play in traffic i take it into the city as close to rush hr as i can.

in other notes, my friend is finally returning my road bike! i loaned it to him over a year ago to train for and ride in the lance armstrong cancer ride. i hope he finally gets his own bike.

Life, alas is very drear. Up with the glass and down with the beer!
Seriously, when i am 800years old i want to rock like Lemmy! it is a religion that requires lots of determination, drugs, and Marshall stacks.

now with clavicle of steel (stainless) wrist o' steel (11/2011)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 129   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: