Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 06, 2024, 09:27:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 129   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official DMF Bicycle Thread  (Read 433387 times)
DucNrun

« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2008, 03:40:13 PM »

I have a serious bicycle problem.  Nearly all of them are Italian for some reason.  Grin

Road:
Ciöcc SL (x3)
Bellesi
Cramerotti (set up as single speed)
Bianchi Cross Project (set up as road rain bike)
Somec

MTB:
Ibis Mt. Trials
Dirt Works Cannibal
Scapin (full Campy Euclid)
Cannondale

Frames not yet built up:
Fondriest Status Plus
Ciöcc cyclocross
Pinarello Time Trial

1994 Ciöcc, SL tubing, mostly Campy Record

Bellesi, Genius tubing, mostly Record again

Dirt Works Cannibal

1985(?) Ciöcc, SL tubing, Campy 50th Anniversary

That Ciocc is the business!  I love oldy Campy stuff!
ro-monster

mmmmonsterz...

« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2008, 07:01:05 PM »

As far as feeling naked without leathers, you're generally not going fast enough on a bicycle to take off much hide if you do fall down. And let me say again, you are the motor... you would quickly overheat in leather.

I guess you missed the part where I am already wearing my moto jacket on the bicycle because I kept getting too cold! Everywhere I ride seems to have frigid wind, especially when it gets dark.

1998 M900
1996 Suzuki DR650
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2008, 01:25:49 PM »

As far as feeling naked without leathers, you're generally not going fast enough on a bicycle to take off much hide if you do fall down.

45 mph I think is plenty for road rash. Wink

Being used to motorcycles, I had to have the front and rear brake levers swapped. I kept coming to an abrupt halt trying to pull in the "clutch."   laughingdp

I've noticed that in countries where we drive on the right (e.g. US), the front brake is generally on the left.

In countries where we drive on the left (e.g. UK), the front brake is generally on the right.

I've got one of each kind, just to keep me on my toes. cheeky
Birdy: Front brake right, rear brake left
Orbea: Front brake left, rear brake right

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
x136

NIXON'S BACK!

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2008, 03:43:14 PM »

I've got one of each kind, just to keep me on my toes. cheeky
Birdy: Front brake right, rear brake left
Orbea: Front brake left, rear brake right
I'm telling you, you need a fixed gear bike in that stable.

Front brake: None.
Rear brake: None.

Wink

ducpenguin

« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »

My race bike!

My fun bike...God, I miss the mountains!

WEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

ducpenguin

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2008, 06:22:51 PM »

45 mph I think is plenty for road rash. ;
I have been hurt far more on a bicycle than that of a real bike.  Lycra only goes so far!
And before you judge...I have fallen off of a bridge at 65 mph on a motorcycle and fallen 45 feet, and still make this statement...bicycle racing is not easy on the bones!  Neither is Bike racing though...evil everywhere...

somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2008, 08:22:14 PM »

I have been hurt far more on a bicycle than that of a real bike.  Lycra only goes so far!
And before you judge...I have fallen off of a bridge at 65 mph on a motorcycle and fallen 45 feet, and still make this statement...bicycle racing is not easy on the bones!  Neither is Bike racing though...evil everywhere...

Both my broken bones (collarbone, wrist) were from bicycle accidents. Tongue

FatguyRacer

The A-hole fomerly known as Blueshark928

« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2008, 04:40:33 AM »

My ratio of serious (trips to the E-room) bicycle crashs to motorcycle gets offs stand at 5:1 over the last 25 years.

John Krawczyk
2002 Ducati ST4s (FIM chip, Arrow Carbys, Sargent seat, DP comfort fairing, Ducati Designs headlight, Toby steering dampener)
My Blog - The Chronicles of Fatguy Racer
ducpenguin

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2008, 10:44:47 AM »

Ahh...the big difference between casual ridding (which I believe he is doing) vs. Competitive riding. 

Ro-monster - If you go to any bicycle shop or REI type store, you can find very good jackets and thermal gear for riding.  There are jackets and such that will allow you to ride in all sorts of weather conditions.  You can also get bike pants and foot covers...As far as a full faced helmet, you can get one of the MTB like Oldjackbob said, or try to get one that has a strong (not velcro or snap-on) visor.

Good luck!

ro-monster

mmmmonsterz...

« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2008, 02:10:05 PM »

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I'm much less concerned about falling down than about being hit by a car, or crashing into another bike or a pedestrian when they do something unpredictable. This bike is being used as transportation, and most of my riding is on streets with heavy traffic in a densely populated area. That's the reason I feel like some protective gear would be nice. Even if it does make me look like a complete dork.

1998 M900
1996 Suzuki DR650
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2008, 03:20:46 PM »

Both of my trips to the ER in the last couple of decades (well, the two wheel-related ones...) have been due to bicycles:

1) a silly pratfall on a fixed gear/track bike while commuting to work awhile back -- missed clipping in on the pedal from a dead stop (I know I should have been track standing!) and went over the bars at about half a mile per hour. I remember a couple of my teammates asking if I knew what day it was, who was president, etc., and then I was sitting at my desk at work, showered, dressed, with no recollection whatever of my normally adrenaline-fueled daily run with the bulls through downtown Washington, DC.  And a big ol' crack in my helmet.

2) On the same commute in to DC, different day, I inhaled a bee through my mouth and she stung me on the uvula. Made for a really funny story at work, until about an hour later when i started to sound like John Lee Hooker and noticing that breathing wasn't nearly as much fun as usual. The GW ER heard "bee sting" and ignored me for a good half hour, until somebody caught the "back of the throat, in my windpipe" and "difficult breathing." They rushed me back, stuck an IV of Benadryl in my arm, and thus ended my career as a blues singer.

Back when I was racing I lost plenty of skin, but never managed to break a bone or damage anything enough to send me to the ER. For that, I needed home or auto repair and a couple of bad decisions with utility knives, or this strange idea I had once that I was a rock climber...

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2008, 06:54:54 PM »

Ahh...the big difference between casual ridding (which I believe he is doing) vs. Competitive riding. 

Nah, both my broken bones were from casual commuting (not going very fast).

And 45 mph is from going downhill, I don't ride competitively.

sqweak
WebGeeK

« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2008, 11:15:09 PM »

Can someone point me towards good places to find used bikes?  I'm not having much luck finding a used giant STP on craigslist or ebay Undecided

2007 S4R-T (street)
Black CRG Hindsight LS, Black CRG Roll-A-Click Levers, Black Rizoma Conical Handlebars, DP Open Airbox, Clear Alternatives Integrated LED Brakelight w/ Smoke Lens, Removed: Chopped (w/ Cookie's kit), Sidepods & Wiring relocated, Passenger pegs, Stickers

2001 Suzuki SV650 (track)
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2008, 10:37:23 AM »

Can someone point me towards good places to find used bikes?  I'm not having much luck finding a used giant STP on craigslist or ebay Undecided

Keep an eye on the classifieds at Mountain Bike Review -- www.mtbr.com

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Fresh Pants

Moof

« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »

Don't forget ridemonkey classifieds - www.ridemonkey.com

Bwooooooahhh
Braaaaaaaappp
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 129   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: