Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 06, 2024, 11:19:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 129   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official DMF Bicycle Thread  (Read 433409 times)
mags

« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2008, 05:31:29 PM »

We got bikes today!  And then went for a ride down the boardwalk.  It was nice to get out in the sun, ride along the beach, trying hard to avoid the roller bladers, ...  and we are going to be tired tomorrow!   waytogo

"Right line, wrong circuit."  - World SBK Announcer.
Has anyone else been run over by a go-kart?
sqweak
WebGeeK

« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2008, 05:48:45 PM »

so we got bikes today, and went for about a 6 mile ride.  I'm gonna hurt tomorrow. Grin

I ended up getting a GT Aggressor and mags got a Raleigh Venture (Womens)

So, it seems the consensus on the Aggressor is that it's a great frame and absolute shit components.  Good for a beginner, or an upgrader.  Already, the seat is horrible and the gears are sloppy...and thats just riding on a simple paved beach bike path.

I kinda want to upgrade to my buddy's clothing label's seat.  Can someone school me on the jargon?  What's a pivotal seat?  I see a whole bunch of posts listed at dan's comp, but how do I know which one to pick?  Is it a direct swap onto my GT?

What parts should I look to upgrade to fix what my gearhead brain wants to call "gearbox slop"?  It's just that shifting (especially the rear) seems to not always catch, take a long time to make the transition, or to "skip teeth" even when i'm not trying to shift.  What do i look for in upgrades to fix that?

oh, and pedals.  It's got crap plastic pedals.  What kind of pedals do I want to look for?  I don't want clip-ins or toe-clips, but i think I'd want something nicer than the plastic that's on there. what's sealed vs unsealed?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 05:56:59 PM by sqweak » Logged

2007 S4R-T (street)
Black CRG Hindsight LS, Black CRG Roll-A-Click Levers, Black Rizoma Conical Handlebars, DP Open Airbox, Clear Alternatives Integrated LED Brakelight w/ Smoke Lens, Removed: Chopped (w/ Cookie's kit), Sidepods & Wiring relocated, Passenger pegs, Stickers

2001 Suzuki SV650 (track)
x136

NIXON'S BACK!

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2008, 08:31:20 PM »

What parts should I look to upgrade to fix what my gearhead brain wants to call "gearbox slop"?  It's just that shifting (especially the rear) seems to not always catch, take a long time to make the transition, or to "skip teeth" even when i'm not trying to shift.  What do i look for in upgrades to fix that?

You may not need to replace anything. If the derailleurs (the little deals that move the chain around)aren't bent or otherwise ruined, some cable adjustment will probably get it shifting better. Maybe not perfectly, but at least usably. You can take it into a bike shop in the area, and they'll be able to help you out.

oh, and pedals.  It's got crap plastic pedals.  What kind of pedals do I want to look for?  I don't want clip-ins or toe-clips, but i think I'd want something nicer than the plastic that's on there. what's sealed vs unsealed?

Some plain metal pedals (with grippy teeth) should be pretty inexpensive, and are a pretty easy swap. Sealed and unsealed are likely referring to the bearings. Sealed keeps the crud out.

I've never seen the pivotal seats/seatposts before. Might be a BMX thing. As long as you get the saddle and a matching post that is the same diameter as the one you currently have, it should work fine.

Congrats, and have fun. Smiley

triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2008, 03:51:59 PM »

+1 on looking into derailleur adjustment before replacing anything -- and if you're mechanically minded, feel free to mess with it a bit yourself -- one of the cool things about bicycle work is that 90% of it is intuitive, ie., you can see what's happening and what needs to happen if you just look closely enough and think it through. (and no, I'm not counting things like STI shifters in that 90%!)

The rear derallieur looks like this:

You'll notice a barrel adjuster where the cable goes into it that increases/decreases the tension on the cable.  Looking from the back of the bike, turning it clockwise will move the derallieur to the right (decreasing tension), and counter clockwise will move it to the left (increasing).  If you want WAY more info on what does what back there, there's always the late, great Sheldon Brown:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

One other thing to check -- see if your rear cogs are visibly worn or missing teeth. They get the same hooked profile as a worn out moto sprocket, and also will need to be replaced as a system (rear cogset, chain, and at least the most-used front ring) rather than just the worn-out rear cog(s).

And pedals? Rock these babies...

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:55:00 PM by triangleforge » Logged

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Count Desmo

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2008, 08:00:07 PM »

I picked up a Kona Dew yesterday for neighborhood family biking, and to see if I have any desire to spend more time on the street.  My Marin Rift Zone full squish wasn't much fun in town mode.  So far I've added a trip computer, handlebar bag, and mirror.  I've only done about 10 miles so far, but I find it to be perfect for my intended purpose.  If you wanted to throw some fenders on it would make a good commuter, too.

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »

+1 on looking into derailleur adjustment before replacing anything -- and if you're mechanically minded, feel free to mess with it a bit yourself -- one of the cool things about bicycle work is that 90% of it is intuitive, ie., you can see what's happening and what needs to happen if you just look closely enough and think it through. (and no, I'm not counting things like STI shifters in that 90%!)

Do not listen to this man. Derailers are made of black magic, voodoo and ground up kittens. Seriously. I could *not* get the one on Misinc's bike to work right, not even remotely. This is even with instructions, tools and help.

Keep in mind I'm a mechanical engineer who used to own a garage. I've spent years taking things apart and putting them back together, typically to have them work. The *only* thing I've utterly failed at is a derailer. Those who adjust them with success are the same that would hew things out of the bones of the dead. Terror awaits you if you pursue this route!

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
x136

NIXON'S BACK!

« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2008, 09:47:03 PM »

Those who adjust them with success are the same that would hew things out of the bones of the dead.

The good ones are made of the bones of the living.

triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2008, 07:24:36 AM »

The good ones are made of the bones of the living.

Nah, not even the femur of a really, really tall guy is long enough to make a decent downtube. Don't ask me how I know.

Cranks, though, are another story, and add a really cool, kinda primitive vibe to a vintage fixed gear.

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2008, 07:43:30 AM »

Do not listen to this man. Derailers are made of black magic, voodoo and ground up kittens. Seriously. I could *not* get the one on Misinc's bike to work right, not even remotely. This is even with instructions, tools and help.

Did you happen to check the derailleur hanger alignment? if that's tweaked, no amount of twiddling or fussing will make it right. Chain length can make a big difference, too, as that's what gets the top jockey wheel close enough (but not too close) to do its job-- and I know you probably checked all of that already and are looking around for a big stick to whomp me with.

Maybe its because you adopted the American spelling of the word, instead of the French dee-ray-yuh. Probably can get away with that with Shimano or Sram parts, but if it's Campagnolo, you'll want to stick with continental spellings -- the French or Italian dérailleur, or maybe German Flugarbeitanderunggemacher. And if it's a French part to begin with, well, that's how it's SUPPOSED to work. Me, I have to use the French since it took me a good five years to learn how to spell the stupid word, and if I stop even once I'll have to go back for retraining.

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
dbran1949

2007 S4RS Black Termis

« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2008, 08:24:38 AM »

Not my present bike but shows I have been modding for quite a long time.

My buddy Mike and I didn't have bikes and couldn't afford to get bikes. Once a year they would have bulky trash day back in the Chicago suburb where we grew up. We noticed a bunch of bike parts in front of various houses and gathered up as much as we could within walking distance. As you can see we could make two bikes but were short one front wheel. So we built what you see here. We rode that "tandem" for two summers (6th and 7th grade) then in 8th grade mowed lawns all summer so we could each buy a sears "10 speed". No pics of that, can't even remember what it was called

Fresh Pants

Moof

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »

My buddy Mike and I didn't have bikes and couldn't afford to get bikes. Once a year they would have bulky trash day back in the Chicago suburb where we grew up. We noticed a bunch of bike parts in front of various houses and gathered up as much as we could within walking distance. As you can see we could make two bikes but were short one front wheel. So we built what you see here. We rode that "tandem" for two summers (6th and 7th grade) then in 8th grade mowed lawns all summer so we could each buy a sears "10 speed". No pics of that, can't even remember what it was called

Brilliant!

How'd it handle?

Bwooooooahhh
Braaaaaaaappp
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2008, 08:42:20 AM »

That's just beautiful.   applause applause applause applause applause

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
NuTTs
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2008, 08:45:38 AM »

I picked up a Kona Dew yesterday for neighborhood family biking, and to see if I have any desire to spend more time on the street.  My Marin Rift Zone full squish wasn't much fun in town mode.  So far I've added a trip computer, handlebar bag, and mirror.  I've only done about 10 miles so far, but I find it to be perfect for my intended purpose.  If you wanted to throw some fenders on it would make a good commuter, too.

Nice! I like Kona
x136

NIXON'S BACK!

« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2008, 09:11:01 AM »

Nah, not even the femur of a really, really tall guy is long enough to make a decent downtube. Don't ask me how I know.

Cranks, though, are another story, and add a really cool, kinda primitive vibe to a vintage fixed gear.

Thankfully, skeletal remains and bamboo compliment each other nicely.

dbran1949

2007 S4RS Black Termis

« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2008, 09:11:57 AM »

Brilliant!

How'd it handle?

Actually pretty good. As I look back it had a lot of advantages.
1. Riders did not have to match pedal speed
2. with the "hinge" in the middle it was able to turn better

on the downside my buddy Mike on the back was always afraid his forks would slip off the rear axle of my bike in the front. It never did but it didn't stop him from complaining on the occasional down hill speed run. One other minor problem the front bike had no brakes
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 129   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: