Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 02:45:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pool of brake fluid on my floor  (Read 2024 times)
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 03:00:33 PM »

On my S2R and the HM, the rear brakes were almost worthless until properly bled. The caliper location (under the axle) line routing and bleeder location conspire to create big air pockets that cannot be bled out... unless you unbolt the caliper, and elevate it to get the bleeder as the high point back there.  Had to insert a piece of steel to mimic the rotor into the caliper to keep the pads/pistons from popping out while bleeding.   They still feel only about 50% as effective as my wife's Buell lightning. 

thanks for the tip...i'll have to try that out soon; the rear brake on the monster is pretty weak...i don't think it would even lock up in gravel.  but i've bled a couple different times now and haven't had any luck.  i'll try that method and see how i fare.  if that doesn't work to increase the power, i may try some different pads.

and yes, i do use the rear brake.  i like it...it's one more tool to have handy i think.  it helps out quite a bit, especially when you're riding in rain and other situations where you don't want to be on the front brake, like in a corner.  so i, for one, will continue my quest for a rear brake with more power.

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
pipeliner1978
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 08:19:08 PM »

Are the front and rear brakes completely separate systems? My rear brake has died a horrible death. There is brake fluid on my garage floor, and the rear brake will not even keep the bike stopped on my driveway. I would rather ride it to the shop than trailer. The front brake seems fine. Am I safe to do so?

i bet we can fix it
Slag
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 08:28:43 PM »

You are probably right...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: