Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 12:39:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emissions removal.  (Read 4920 times)
Grappa

« on: May 11, 2008, 03:45:40 PM »

I have a 2001 M900S i.e. and the previous owner must have removed the carbon canister because I have never seen it.  However, he left the tubing in place that connects each of the intake ducts, then proceeds along the frame towards back of bike, where it then would have connected to the missing canister.  I bought screws to go into the holes where the tubes connect to the intake ducts, but need to put some kind of silicone Huh? on the screws first, to prevent a vacuum leak.  I have a marine/auto 100% silicone tube that says it can withstand up to 400 degrees F.  Is that high enough, being that the intake duct is connected directly to the head? 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 02:33:02 PM by Grappa » Logged

Ahh... but the servant waits, while the master baits.

Sometimes Aloha means Goodbye.
Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »

Another option - that allows easy TB syncing w/o replacing the machine screws with the original tube fittings - is to use silicone caps from www.mcmaster.com to cap the existing fittings.  They fit nice and snug and take the temperatures with no problem.

Except then the friggin' dealer mechanic loses the silicone ones and replaces them with POS plain rubber ones... bang head so buy several waytogo

Leo Vince CF slip-ons, '01 SS900 fully adjustable Showa forks w/ST2 springs, rebuilt S4 shock w/Ohlins spring, 748 dog bone, Swatt clip-ons above the triple, Sargent seat, Duplicolor-Dark seat cowl, Rizoma grips, Techlusion TFI, SBK front fender, Evoluzione slave, BMC sport air filter, 14-tooth sprocket, Desmotimes caseguard, S2R side panels, Pantah belt covers, fake CRG LS mirrors, extra black zip-ties, right grip control imprint on tank, de-cannistered, Ducati Meccanica Bologna key ring
Grappa

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »

Mr.Earl, that is one of the alternatives that I was interested in!  Do you have a part number, looks like a huge site with many options.

MuscovyDuc

02' M750I.E. Dark - (pearl white)

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 05:29:54 PM »

Just connect one of the tubes to the other throttle body. Thats what I did, I got that info off TOB a couple weeks before the fall Grin

Grappa

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 05:50:17 PM »

Yeah I could do that but I want to get rid of all the tubing possible.

Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 07:01:11 PM »

Mr.Earl, that is one of the alternatives that I was interested in!  Do you have a part number, looks like a huge site with many options.

If you type "silicone tube caps" into the search window on the left side of the page, you'll get a page showing lots of diameters of silicone tube caps, strangely enough.  Mcmaster doesn't let you link to a specific page, or I'd provide that.  The part number to fit 1/4" OD is 92805K14, but see below.

I bought 2 diameters, one of which turned out to be just right, the other a little large.  Trouble is, I don't know now which diameters I bought!  Sorry... Roll Eyes  They're very flexible, so err on the small side.

They come too long, you'll have to trim with scissors for a perfect fit.

Leo Vince CF slip-ons, '01 SS900 fully adjustable Showa forks w/ST2 springs, rebuilt S4 shock w/Ohlins spring, 748 dog bone, Swatt clip-ons above the triple, Sargent seat, Duplicolor-Dark seat cowl, Rizoma grips, Techlusion TFI, SBK front fender, Evoluzione slave, BMC sport air filter, 14-tooth sprocket, Desmotimes caseguard, S2R side panels, Pantah belt covers, fake CRG LS mirrors, extra black zip-ties, right grip control imprint on tank, de-cannistered, Ducati Meccanica Bologna key ring
dlearl476

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 09:08:40 PM »

I actually just de-cannistered mine today, in the process of installing FCRs.  I took my nipples out and replaced them with stainless steel allen head screws.  I'll keep the nipples in the container with my other carb adjust nipples.
Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 04:51:22 AM »

...I took my nipples out and replaced them with stainless steel allen head screws...

Ouch! Wink

CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 12:59:07 PM »

I bought screws to go into the holes where the tubes connect to the intake ducts, but need to put some kind of silicone Huh? on the screws first, to prevent a vacuum leak.

Are you sure?I just removed nipples, put some medium loctite on the screw and installed it.  No problem so far.
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 09:01:22 AM »

Except then the friggin' dealer mechanic loses the silicone ones and replaces them with POS plain rubber ones...

Thats b/s, dude.

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 03:59:58 PM »

Thats b/s, dude.

Yep.  They spilled brake fluid on the case, too - didn't see it until I rode it home.  I'm doing all my own work from now on.  Bastards.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: