Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:02:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2006 S2R1000, stumbling, surging, hesitation issues  (Read 6479 times)
turnera

« on: May 11, 2008, 07:02:42 PM »

I own a 2006 S2R1000 with about 3200 miles on it. At about 3100 RPM through about 3600 RPM and at low throttle settings, the bike will stumble, even cough a little, then eventually catch and then surge. This doesn't happen at anything above about 1/3 throttle. It doesn't happen at any other RPM range. But, as an example, when I roll on small throttle while coming through a turn after a stoplight, I'll get the hesitation problem. The bike will do this at stable throttle settings sometimes just riding down city streets at low speeds. The bike has it's original ECU and a Quat-D Exbox. It started to do this at about 2000 miles even before the ExBox was installed. It is getting progressively more consistent. It has a Power Commander installed and tuned by AMS Ducati in Dallas, TX (a well known and well-respected Ducati dealer and tuner). I seem to recall that the old DMLsite (sorry to see that one go downhill so quickly) had a few mentions of this issue with possible solutions. I suspect I'm not the only one with this problem. Can any of you more experienced Monster guys help me out?

turnera
red baron

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:14:05 PM »

You've got a PC on an S2R1000?Huh?

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »

You've got a PC on an S2R1000?Huh?

I had the same question......  bang head

Please enlighten us.  waytogo

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Augustus

2007 S2R 1000

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 05:54:56 PM »

Termi pipes and ECU will fix the problem, but it's not cheap.
gnostic203

Lost in Cyber Space

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 07:57:38 PM »

There was a few guys who put the DS1000 model PCIII on their S2R1000's.  Not many but a few, I believe bypassing the o2 sensor is necessary for that as well.  A few of us actually unplugged our o2 sensors and there was some great info back on the old site about a good procedure to drain the ECU of air/fuel maps.  This is really null though if you have a PCIII.  I'm not doubting but are you positive on the PCIII?  If AMS tuned your bike I'd be real curious why its surging which is usually due to a pretty lean condition.
flsurfdog

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 03:47:32 AM »

I did it.....well I had it done at DucShop here in atlanta if yall remember from the old board.   Long and short is yes you use the PCIII for the DS1000 (it plugs straight in as it will with several monsters).  Then you disconnect the O2 sensor and finally plug the vacuum hoses.  (I think this means you're unplugging the stepper motor or something but i don't know exactly, but really all you do is plug those hoses) and then you tune it.

This kept the ECU from adjusting the map allowing the PCIII to do it's job.  It runs perfectly but the trade off is that it idles like crap when cold. Mark at the Ducshop ended up putting a fast idle switch on my handle bar, which i used to get the bike nice and warmed up.

I'd say the bike ran like ass until it got around 140-150 F, then ok up to 180-190, then amazing above that.  So if you ride short rides to work every day and it's chilly then it probably isn't that great....but if you got a long commute or are only riding on weekends it's a pretty good option.

I guess this post really belongs in the accessories and mods stickey, but i'm just answering the question

06 s2r1000, Apex Clip-ons, Lowered headlight and gauges, HID high/low, Wasen Design front signals, reflectors removed, Mag Performance clutch cover, Rizoma star pressure plate, open airbox, Spark midpipe, Leo Ti slip-on, tail chop and frame plug blinkers
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 08:25:41 PM »

I did it.....well I had it done at DucShop here in atlanta if yall remember from the old board.   Long and short is yes you use the PCIII for the DS1000 (it plugs straight in as it will with several monsters).  Then you disconnect the O2 sensor and finally plug the vacuum hoses.  (I think this means you're unplugging the stepper motor or something but i don't know exactly, but really all you do is plug those hoses) and then you tune it.

Which vacuum hoses do you plug? And where are they disconnected from in the process that requires them to be plugged?

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
gnostic203

Lost in Cyber Space

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 07:10:35 AM »

Good info flsurfdog, but yeah which vacuum hoses are you referring to?
flsurfdog

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 03:42:22 AM »

Good info flsurfdog, but yeah which vacuum hoses are you referring to?

Hey guys, sorry i haven't been around to answer.... let me check to make sure when i get off work today.  It's been a while since i've been under the tank.

06 s2r1000, Apex Clip-ons, Lowered headlight and gauges, HID high/low, Wasen Design front signals, reflectors removed, Mag Performance clutch cover, Rizoma star pressure plate, open airbox, Spark midpipe, Leo Ti slip-on, tail chop and frame plug blinkers
gnostic203

Lost in Cyber Space

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 08:18:08 AM »

I thought there was some sticky too about the various options on these bikes (PCIII, RapidBike, etc).  Can't seem to find it.
dlowenst

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 08:58:02 AM »

Here you go:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163735

I thought there was some sticky too about the various options on these bikes (PCIII, RapidBike, etc).  Can't seem to find it.

Dave in DC: 67 Jaguar E-Type OTS S1/71 Ford F-100 Styleside/79 Triumph T140E Bonneville/15 BMW R1200GS/13 KTM 300 XC-W/04 Yamaha TT-R250/04 & 05 Honda CRF 250X/Keeping parts guys in business nationwide
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 09:02:43 AM »

I brought that thread over here:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163735
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 09:08:25 AM »

turnera,

Do you have a closed or open airbox?  If you have the OEM airbox and prefer the bike to run smooth-ish (but factory lean) then maximize HP/torque then consider reversing almost everything.  ExBox works well with stock ECU and stock airbox if you keep the stock O2 sensor. 

If you prefer to maximize HP/torque, then check with the previous owner to see if the PCIII was custom mapped andif it was how long between unplugging the O2 sensor and the custom mapping.  The stock ECU is a learning ECU (minor-ly adjusts to your riding style) according to Rockwell Cycles.  It take the ECU ~100 miles to give up and stabilize once the O2 sensor is removes before it fully switches to open-mode.
flsurfdog

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 03:03:01 AM »

Hey guys, sorry i haven't been around to answer.... let me check to make sure when i get off work today.  It's been a while since i've been under the tank.

OK so unless i'm missing something it's the two vacuum hoses that run from the airbox and into the base of the throttle bodies.   They're fairly small but shouldn't be hard to find since there aren't many other holes in the airbox and they suck in a good amount of air.  if you plug it the bike will stumble and probably die....hence the need for the fast idle switch.

hope that helps.....i'm gonna try and see if i can figure out how to do it myself soon.  (keep in mind this is second hand info from what my understanding of what i was told)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: