Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 18, 2024, 05:23:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster bikes  (Read 94989 times)
Scottish
Balls!

That's thinkin' with your dipstick Jimmy!

« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2009, 10:21:05 AM »

I already got one of those in my garage.  Grin I'm thinking it might be fun with a custom sidecar. Same year and everything.

You can thank a soldier today, just click the link...
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
kingbaby

« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2009, 10:30:09 AM »

Do it   Do it   Do it   applause

I promise to make better mistakes tomorrow.
kingbaby

« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2009, 05:49:46 PM »

Titanium: smooth as butter, with reflexes like aluminium.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=28810.0
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:53:31 PM by kingbaby » Logged

kingbaby

« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2009, 06:11:23 AM »

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=29065.0

Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »

Titanium: smooth as butter, with reflexes like aluminium.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=28810.0

This guy was a fair artist, but he took money from a number of folks and then disappeared from the face of the earth.  A few guys on the Ducati.net list were looking to beat his head in for a while.  I particularly liked his exhausts, but I guess we won't have an opportunity to acquire one of those anytime soon.

Wanna go into business building titanium Ducati frames?  I know enough about working with the stuff to be REALLY dangerous.  I've worked for a company that machined and welded titanium in fair volume a few years ago.  On second thought, maybe we should start by building stainless steel custom exhausts.  Any thoughts?  All we'd need is a saw, a welder, a tube bender, and a source for decent stainless tube and sheet metal. 

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2009, 06:44:03 PM »

This guy was a fair artist, but he took money from a number of folks and then disappeared from the face of the earth.  A few guys on the Ducati.net list were looking to beat his head in for a while.  I particularly liked his exhausts, but I guess we won't have an opportunity to acquire one of those anytime soon.

Wanna go into business building titanium Ducati frames?  I know enough about working with the stuff to be REALLY dangerous.  I've worked for a company that machined and welded titanium in fair volume a few years ago.  On second thought, maybe we should start by building stainless steel custom exhausts.  Any thoughts?  All we'd need is a saw, a welder, a tube bender, and a source for decent stainless tube and sheet metal. 
Don't tempt me...I love this kind of work applause
kingbaby

« Reply #156 on: September 06, 2009, 09:07:05 AM »

Yeah it's funny how some of these guys act as if he were a saint.
Makes my saying "two sides to every story & a punch line" more rock solid by the day.

As far as building stuff goes, you know I'm down!  The Exhausts are always a good call seeing as that they are not a structural piece. AKA: Less chance of getting your ass sued.

KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #157 on: September 06, 2009, 10:29:28 AM »

there are several venders that can supply mandrel bends and swaged tapers to a customers specs, from there it's a good tig welder, liquid cooled band saw, fixturing, design, vender to cut flanges and brackets (waterjet,laser), dyno tests to prove they actually work, patent lawyers to keep you out of trouble, market demand analysis, marketing strategy, advertisement, shipping and recieving facilities ,shop space, start up costes, overhead projections, profit margin.......Oh yeah, it does sound fun on weekends in the garage though... drink drink laughingdp

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
Cloner

« Reply #158 on: September 06, 2009, 07:23:40 PM »

there are several venders that can supply mandrel bends and swaged tapers to a customers specs, from there it's a good tig welder, liquid cooled band saw, fixturing, design, vender to cut flanges and brackets (waterjet,laser), dyno tests to prove they actually work, patent lawyers to keep you out of trouble, market demand analysis, marketing strategy, advertisement, shipping and recieving facilities ,shop space, start up costes, overhead projections, profit margin.......Oh yeah, it does sound fun on weekends in the garage though... drink drink laughingdp

OK....I also have access to a liquid cooled band saw, a laser, and a water jet (and a high definition plasma), I can design product and fixturing (as I am a mechanical engineer) and I can handle the business stuff (as I also hold an M.B.A.).  Anybody got a TIG (preferably with a liquid cooled torch and high-frequency capability so we can work with aluminum for brackets and such) and access to a dyno?  Oh...wait....we ride Ducatis.....there's no need to prove any performance gain....we just have to prove it looks and sounds good!  Witness these crazy "Boom Tubes" as evidence.

I think we'll also need a set of sheet metal rolls, a sheet brake, and welding lessons.  I can't weld for crap.  I've done some oxy-acetylene welding, but that was 20 years ago.

Any more crazy questions?

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #159 on: September 06, 2009, 07:48:56 PM »

JJ could lend a hand when it comes to fluid dynamics to make sure the sound is up to par
as well as the performance enhancement
KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #160 on: September 06, 2009, 08:58:56 PM »

Just throw'n out some good hearted fun!! I am in the steel fabrication business, and have explored the prospect, it sounds to Me that We have a definite positive pool of resource, and We all like to do this kind of thing... maybe Let's look at it a little more serious...If nothing else We could build some really cool shit for Ourselves and Friends. That's where it begins anyway...If there's a market for a unique product it will surface, if You build it with style and quality craftsmanship, only the economy would be the final hurdle. Something to think about, because it be damn good fun waytogo

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
Cloner

« Reply #161 on: September 07, 2009, 04:11:03 AM »

Just throw'n out some good hearted fun!!

That's how I took it....I was just pointing out that we already have lots of the resources necessary to make it happen. 

As to building for ourselves and friends, that's exactly what I had in mind for now.  Let's design an exhaust for Monsters, comparable to "Boom Tubes", but that actually works and looks cool.

Just a thought.  Anybody got a Monster they'd volunteer for research?

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
bonfy
Lance Thruster sports my

The Blue Flame 2008 695 Monster Controlled Folly

« Reply #162 on: September 07, 2009, 03:01:31 PM »

What kind of research?  Will it involve alien leathers on my saddle?  Just sayin'...

The Smelly Pirate Hooker
dusty
« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2009, 05:31:02 PM »

Sounds like it to me...You got a spare Monster laying around??
bonfy
Lance Thruster sports my

The Blue Flame 2008 695 Monster Controlled Folly

« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2009, 06:13:01 PM »

I've got some spare parts.  And so does Scottish, I believe.   Grin  I was just wondering about the research part.  You know the Paladin don't like anyone else's leathers touching his saddle.  We come as a package.  Sounds bad, I know.

The Smelly Pirate Hooker
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: