Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 06:48:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pressure plate difference? S4RS vs. others  (Read 5778 times)
CDawg

S4RS

« on: May 12, 2008, 06:21:26 AM »

I just received Rizoma's star shaped pressure plate.  Included in the packaging were 6 small washers (~2mm).
Their instructions suggested that for the S4RS and a couple of other models, than the washers be installed between the spring cap and the clucth stacks.  The caps I bought from SpeedyMoto didn't have additoinal washers.  Does anyone know what is the difference in the dry clutched between the S4RS and other models?

Thansk!
johnster

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:03:13 AM »

Hmmmmm...... Huh?

I always thought that ALL dry-clutch Ducs were identical, in that there are no differences from model to model in terms of installation....I'm actually expecting my Motowheels pressure plate to arrive today, so I'll be interested to see if they come w/these washers....

It really would only affect lever-pull ease I would imagine, as the only thing the washers would do is increase the spring preload.... Undecided

Maybe the Rizoma fits different because of the way it's machined?? 

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 07:22:03 AM »

It really would only affect lever-pull ease I would imagine, as the only thing the washers would do is increase the spring preload.... Undecided

The washer are smaller than the diameter of the spring.  I was concerned that they would just rattle around which is why I posted.  I haven't removed the OEM so I don't know if the washer would be pressing against anything.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 07:27:31 AM by CDawg » Logged
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 07:46:44 AM »

Only differences I'm aware of is in some slipper clutches.

Thought all dry clutches were basically the same.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

hiero

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 08:30:36 AM »

actually, I believe the clutch actuation rod is of a slightly different length on some models?  or was that the piston in the slave cylinder... i forget

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 01:23:07 PM »

The clutch on my S4Rs slipped quite a bit stock.  I replaced the springs with SS and the slipping stopped.  Maybe the difference is the S4Rs puts out more torque and the extra preload (assuming stock springs) gives the clutch more bite.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 01:25:10 PM »

The clutch on my S4Rs slipped quite a bit stock.  I replaced the springs with SS and the slipping stopped.  Maybe the difference is the S4Rs puts out more torque and the extra preload (assuming stock springs) gives the clutch more bite.

Yes, except the washer is smaller than the springs...I called PJ Parts (Rizoma importer) and they said to ignore it unless I'm getting a lot of slippage.  I called and email Rizoma's tech dept today as well.  I'll do some work in the garage tonight and report back tomorrow.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 05:39:34 PM »

If the spacer will fit between the spring and the cap, it will increase the preload, and the clutch will be less likely to slip.
Downside is harder pull at the lever.

If the spacer fits between the cap and the post on the hub, it will decrease the preload, and the clutch will be more likely to slip.
Upside is easier pull at the lever.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 05:15:35 AM »

If the spacer fits between the cap and the post on the hub, it will decrease the preload, and the clutch will be more likely to slip.
Upside is easier pull at the lever.

Speeddog nailed it.  I installed everything las tnight and the washers does indeed sit between the cap and the post (but inside the spring).  I didn't feel any noticeable change in clutch pull.  I will keep an eye on clutch slippage when I take it out for a shake down ride this weekend.  So far the clutch engages fine with when I pushed it around the garage.  For what it's worth, Rizoma just recently started shipping pressure plates with the washers.  My rationale for using them as oppose to excluding them was that Rizoma went throught the trouble of including separate installation diagrams and cost of including them...  If the clutch slips a lot/more I will remove the washers and report back.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 06:34:12 AM »

BTW, here's the reply from Rizoma after the sales person checked with their tech department:

I've checked with our Technical Dept.

They gave me these instructions (which I guess you received together with the item) and explained to me that it's recommended to use these washers for DUCATI S4 and S4R. 

So, just mount them and the result should be fine.
c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 12:41:39 PM »

BTW, here's the reply from Rizoma after the sales person checked with their tech department:

I've checked with our Technical Dept.

They gave me these instructions (which I guess you received together with the item) and explained to me that it's recommended to use these washers for DUCATI S4 and S4R. 

So, just mount them and the result should be fine.

I still don't see why they'd be any different  for the S4 and S4R but I'd go without the washers and see what happens.

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 12:45:18 PM »

There may be a difference in clutch stack height, but IMO that's not so likely.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 02:04:05 PM »

For what's its worth, the pressure plate for the S2R1K and the S4RS have different part numbers (194.2.001.1B versus 194.2.015.1A).  The part number for caps, springs, nut and clutch drum are all the same.

My guess is that the OEM pressure plate for the S4RS is a hair thicker (by the thickness of the washer to better withstand the increased HP) so Rizoma started to include washers to decrease the pre-load since all their pressure plates are "omni-models"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: