Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 07:33:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OMRRA Race weekend 5/10 & 5/11... We need your race reports!!  (Read 2154 times)
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« on: May 12, 2008, 06:37:03 AM »

Jon / Mo - Give us your race reports!!!

As for me... I rode with the crash truck all weekend... saw some spectacular wrecks and a Vintage bike turn into a bonfire.... quite exciting. (Except for the 4 hour enduro race on Saturday with no wrecks at all... which is awesome for them. )  Sunday rained, although nobody wrecked in the rain, everytime it stopped raining... the bikes sped up... and the track was still wet.... so down they went. The craziest sight was a 1098 that wobbled out of 9 and then split in half after hitting the straight away wall. Swing arm snapped and the rear wheel was about 50 yards down the track and bouncing.... the brought out a red flag from all the debri. Anyway... I would love to here the reports from the guys actually out on the track.

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
Visolara

Jacobs Love Meat

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:42:30 AM »

I will post one up soon.  Smiley

thanks for volunteering Ryan, thats awesome!

Maurice

Maurice Miller
2009 OMRRA Rider Representative

OMRRA #39
WMRRA #39
Dark Horse Racing

Race Supporters -
Noel Communications, Inc. , 2Fast Motorcycle Track Days & Instruction , KBC Helmets , EDR Performance , Cascade Tracktime , GP Suspension North , KFG Dunlop LLC , LP Privateer , Dainese , AMS Oil

| 2006 Ducati 749S (street) | 2004 Suzuki SV650S (race) | 2002 Aprilia Mille (race) |
desmosome

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:53:44 AM »

I just want to say I am very appreciative of everyone who was there who watched, raced or assisted.

OMRRA is a great organization. 

It was an awesome weekend.

OK i'll write up something.

Gator

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:15:35 AM »

http://ducatimonsterworldwide.org/index.php?topic=1688.0

I fixed the thread name Ryan,
And made it perpetual so Moe can keep us up to date on the best way to break stuff
desmosome

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:49:58 AM »

OK! This weekend was Awesome.  I want to thank everyone who helped out and was there  waytogo  With a special big thanks to Maurice, My Sister (Nadia), and Mark.

I had a make the beast with two backsing blast despite a crash at the end of the day. 

So last April race I was running mid to low 1:30s with a dip into upper 1:29s for a lap at race pace in middle weight supersport.  Not the best times but not that bad considering I am on a 800cc ducati monster….faired!  Oh yeah I can almost hit 140 mph by the end of the front strait.  I still need to degree the cams and tune the exhaust so I don’t think I am making top horse power (especially on a bike with ~30,000 miles. ).  I do remember coming of nine better than another SV rider (I was hoping to draft him) and we rode side by side till about the start/finish line before he pulled away.  Oh and I should add that my high 1:29 was on 2 year old supercorsa pros with about 6 track days and 1000 or so street miles. 

So for this May race I decided to buy some new tires.  YAY! New rubber!  Kick ass. Saturday practice was easy 1:29-1:28s without even working.  I know it sounds dumb, but tires make a big difference.  So much more traction, I felt way more confidant getting on the throttle earlier.   I noticed my brakes seemed to pulse into the lever, but thought it was prolly cuz my brakes pads hadn’t worn in.  Mo pointed out, however, that my bearings where shot!  So Mark and I fixed the problem at the end of the day.

The next day Markus and Mark helped raised the rear ride height another inch (thank Elias for the first inch) to help the bike turn in better.  The stock monster suspension seems to squat in corners and it pushes the bike to the outside under load forcing me wide exiting corners.  I ran the first practice slowish to feel things outs bike seems a bit more unstable/tippy (especially if I hit the rev limiter on the back strait – y’awoza) but seemed to corner way better.  waytogo .  Second practice I dropped into the 1:26s with consistent 1:27s.  So I was happy about that.

Race one:Middle Weight SuperSport
A dry race dipped into high 1:25s. Found myself scraping a knee in 8 (never done that before) and then the Pinkstaffs passed me in 9 on the inside AND on the outside at the same time.  Over all a fun race.  Just happy to be out there feeling what a bike can do.

Race two: 650 GP Twin Well this one was fun too!  I ended up right behind another rider in my grid who I could not seem to pass despite the fact that I seemed to brake later and get on the throttle quicker than him.  Any edge I had I would lose on the back or front straits.  I guess I need a little more HP…well my extra “speed” came in the form of Portland sunshine….it started to rain a little and then it was easy to pass him.  That was OK, but it took the fun out of it, cuz he really slowed up.  Then it started to piss rain on us.  Mo’s grid caught up to us and I had some 450 clubmen “show me” some good racing lines.  After seeing about 2 to 3 crashes I started to slow up and just finish the race.

Finished 3rd in my grid!!! But as a novice didn’t win the trophy, even though I beat the rider behind me by ~6 seconds. Another novice also took 2nd (Josh from Eugene on a 650 hoysung) but he also did not win a trophy.  La-amE!

Race three: Middle Weight Super Bike  Decided to go slow (pulling 1:40s) as it was the last race of the day.  The track was soaked from the rain but the sky was free of rain.  The goal was to just finish put the kickstand and lights back on the bike and go home…or so I thought.  I passed Keth in 1 (750) and was carrying a little too much speed in T2.  Found myself stepping outside the “dry” race line.  So used a little body English to pull it back in and the front slid out………….Doh!   bang head

Thanks to Mo, Jarod and Others for helping me get the bike to another location. 

Jon Fay
OMRRA: #724
LP racing
Pderbyerous Racing

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: