Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 09:53:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: <Rrrrring> Hello? I'd like a 19 tooth rear sprocket for my Duc.  (Read 10064 times)
Holden
Sausage Creature

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 01:54:36 AM »

http://www.dansmc.com/rearchain.htm

Back in 1981, 3 of us set off from England for a 2-week touring ride around mainland Europe. I was on my T150V Triumph Trident and the other 2 had Z1000 Kawasakis. Before departing, giving more thought to the fact that we would only be away from home for 2 weeks rather than the fact that we would be putting in some serious mileage, one of the guys decided that with a fairly worn rear drive chain, he would remove a link to provide more adjustment should he need it. 5 days and 2500 miles later in Athens (yes, Greece!) the photograph shows the result. As you can imagine, the last 300 miles or so, were only achieved by tightening the chain to provide friction drive with what was left of the sprocket. Indeed, such was the strain on the chain, that the rollers had flats worn on them by the time we arrived at our final holiday destination.

O/T I always work on my bike in nothing but a speedo... vomit
Langanobob

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 03:49:32 AM »

Really surprising how some guys will bring a bike to a shop with a simple problem instead of just fixing it at home.  If it were mine I'd just spend 10 minutes with a rat tail file deepening the grooves between the teeth and be good for another 27k.
JTMOTO

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 05:09:27 AM »

http://www.dansmc.com/rearchain.htm

O/T I always work on my bike in nothing but a speedo... vomit

Dude.... whats up with the banana hammock in the photo..  Is this one of those "got you to look at my crotch" jokes?
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 11:38:02 AM »

WOW.....that is insane!  I broke 3 teeth on the rear and one on the front sprocket and it popped/slipped badly.  Quite noticeable at low speeds.  Had to be a pain in the ass to ride like that!

M-ROCin' it!!!
ghosthound

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 12:16:10 PM »

is it possible to fix a tight spot in a chain?
Porsche Monkey
JuddDdd likes my

The DMFer formerly known as Ducaholic

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 03:27:10 PM »

New rider, and relatively new bike to him.
He had no idea.

Bike has 27k miles on it, so no telling how many miles on this sprocket.
It's aluminum, so with poor care, one chain would be plenty to do that.
Chain is shagged too.

Rear tire is nearly new, so someone had the wheel out recently.

What type of bike is it?  What did he bring it in for in the first place?  I just don't understand how that would go un-noticed, even if he is a new rider.  I'll often go over the bike while I'm having a cigarette in the garage.  Just a quick 10 minutes or so to check oil level, chain tension and other things like that.  I just don't get it.

if I had a vagina...I'd never leave the house

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »

What type of bike is it?  What did he bring it in for in the first place?  I just don't understand how that would go un-noticed, even if he is a new rider.  I'll often go over the bike while I'm having a cigarette in the garage.  Just a quick 10 minutes or so to check oil level, chain tension and other things like that.  I just don't get it.

900SS, brought in for a full service.
Apparently not that happy with the work of the previous tech.

The rider is a young kid.
Not really looking to drag him down, I'm sure there's stuff that I've done (with things I know nothing about) that really isn't much different.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 04:45:57 PM »

It took less than 300 miles to do this to my aluminum rear sprocket when the clip holding the front sprocket in place broke and it slid inward towards the engine.  That's the last aluminum sprocket I'll ever buy, and I check the front sprocket retaining clip more often now as well.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 05:19:34 PM »

On the other hand, here is an aluminium sprocket that has done 5K, I'm happy to continue using it.

Capo de tuti capi
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 06:16:19 PM »

Most , not all aluminum sprockets do not last nearly as well as steel, I always prefer steel unless it is a race/track/never going to see many miles  bike

Care of the aluminum sprockets needs to be a priority, some lubes work well with aluminum.

I have a couple of saw blade sprockets around here but wark certainly wins the prize bow down
He then looses said prize for sending male crotch shots..... where are the censors on this site? I mean really
erkishhorde

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 06:38:14 PM »

Ah, I missed the aluminum part. Yeah, I could see it going to crap pretty quick then.

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
Smokescreen

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 07:27:37 PM »

I think that banana hammock sprock is (was) steel... 

One of my buddys just got a bi-metal sprock called a super sprocket, I'm looking forward to seeing how many miles he gets out of it.

Also, an SV rider gf of mine had an overtight chain break on her whilst she was riding in Malibu.  Bent her countershaft and cracked the case on that side if I remember correctly.  Since, she's fixed the SV and got an S4R.  so she obviously learned something from it

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary. 

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Porsche Monkey
JuddDdd likes my

The DMFer formerly known as Ducaholic

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 05:37:29 AM »

900SS, brought in for a full service.
Apparently not that happy with the work of the previous tech.

The rider is a young kid.
Not really looking to drag him down, I'm sure there's stuff that I've done (with things I know nothing about) that really isn't much different.

My bad.  At least he understands about servicing the bike. 

if I had a vagina...I'd never leave the house

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 07:37:06 AM »

I just figure that most new riders spend the first month thinking "holy shit I'm moving! Oh god", and don't know how it's supposed to feel yet, so they can't tell anything is wrong.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 07:55:31 AM »

One of my buddys just got a bi-metal sprock called a super sprocket, I'm looking forward to seeing how many miles he gets out of it.

I believe you're talking about the Stealth sprockets by Supersprox.  They have an Al center riveted to a steel outer.  Both Californina Cycleworks and Motowheels carry them. 

I have one on each of my bikes.  The Bandit Stealth sprocket has over 10,000 miles on it, and it looks fine, while the one on my Monster has only 5000 miles on it.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: