Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 12:13:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick pressure plate question...  (Read 3044 times)
johnster

« on: May 13, 2008, 04:08:25 AM »

Hey guys....This is probably a stupid question, but here goes....

I just installed a Motowheels pressure plate/springs/open cover last night and rode to work this morning, and noticed a couple of things...

1. - To get it in 1st gear, and up through the other gears, it takes a LOT more force to engage each gear, and the "snick" is much more pronounced and harsh feeling...

2 - Usually I can easily find neutral by tapping down from 2nd, but it seems like it's much more difficult to find than before.....I found myself doing the "2nd-1st-2nd-1st" dance, trying to find it.....  Wink

-I realize that the stiffer spring preload makes for a more positive clutch engagement and would assume that this is normal, but I just wanted to double-check if it really changes the feel of the GEARBOX this much normally....

-I LOVE the sound (obviously   Grin  )  and will post pics later today, but I just wanted other people's takes on how different a new pressure plate & springs made the shifting feel.....I noticed that the bolt holes on the old OEM pressure plate were starting to wear through!!!   Shocked  Good thing I changed it now!!!

-Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!   waytogo

-john
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:36:22 AM by Johnster » Logged

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:41:24 AM »

Sounds like you might need to bleed your clutch line.  The new springs you put in are stiffer than the old ones and if there's some air in your line, any related issues will be more noticeable.

From what you describe it seems like you're not able to move the new pressure plate quite far enough off the stack, so there's a little  bit of friction between the plate.  This will cause the problems you described, hard to find neutrals a bigger thunk when dropping into 1st from N.

Try out your old softer springs, or 4 of the new springs.  If the clutch operates as it used to then that's a good indicator that there's some air in the line which is being compressed (more) by the 6 stiffer springs you just installed. 

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:04:58 AM »

Johnster,

Here's the response I got from Rizoma regarding those spacers:
http://ducatimonsterworldwide.org/index.php?topic=1649.0
johnster

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 07:09:20 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, I figured that bleeding the line might be a good idea....

Honestly, I was more worried about installing the push-rod properly....I just put the new pressure plate face-down on a towel, and hammered the rod into the bearing with a rubber mallet...I verified that the plate spins perfectly straight on the rod, but I was concerned that maybe I hammered it in too far, causing the plate to not disengage as fully as before...

Although the push-rod appeared to be flared on the back side to stop it at the right length through the bearing, so maybe that's not the case.... Undecided

I guess it's possible that I may just need to break the springs in, or am just not used to the difference....

Johnster,

Here's the response I got from Rizoma regarding those spacers:

Interesting!!  I wonder if that's what I'm missing....Motowheels didn't send me any washers, but Maybe I should look into putting some on....Do they look like they could be bought @ a hardware store??
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 07:12:11 AM by Johnster » Logged

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:01:39 AM »

You probably don't need anything, and if you did something like the Rizoma instructions I'd wager your problem would be worse since you're adding preload to the spring. 

Even with heavier springs, your clutch should function as it did before. 

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 08:03:56 AM »

You probably don't need anything, and if you did something like the Rizoma instructions I'd wager your problem would be worse since you're adding preload to the spring. 

You would be removing preload.  The washer sits inside the spring, not outside the spring like a collar.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 02:14:47 PM »

Johnster,
Our plates are different:
M900Sie

00 M900Sie

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »

One thing worth mentioning that hasn't been touched on yet, is making sure the mark on the pressure plate aligns the the slotted stud of the clutch hub. That can cause problems very similar to yours.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.

00 M900Sie
08 ZG1400A8F
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 11:38:49 AM »

Adjust your clutch lever out one notch.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: