Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 12:24:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exhaust: Ti or Stainless  (Read 4906 times)
Sgt_H

« on: May 13, 2008, 04:45:02 AM »

I'm going to finally get a new exhaust.  My question is this;  I'm getting hi mounts but I have a tail chop.  In the likely event that they stick out too far past the seat, am I screwed if I have Ti?  I know Ti is lighter, and cooler  Cool, but stainless is going to be easier to modify, right?  Or does it really matter? 

Thanks

Sgt_H
Banned
RB

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 05:03:22 AM »

i could be wrong here...but...
If you chaop the cans to fit as you have suggested, chances are you will rivet them back together, in that case it doesn't matter what material you deside on.
However, you did not tell us what exhaust(termi, sil, mivv....) you are going with, so i am assuming the ends will be riveted. If you are going with a style that is welded, it may be easier to find someone that welds stainless before ti. Riveted  style is  a DIY....no $$ involoved.

RB

Sgt_H

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 05:16:47 AM »

Oh yeah, the deal on GPR slip ons got too good to pass up so I'm going to go ahead and order today.  I'm remembering some old threads at TOB.  One of them where someone had Ti exhaust, someone else commented on them sticking out past the seat, and the original guy said he could't chop them because they're Ti.  Are you saying that I shouldn't have problems chopping Ti cans or pipes?  But I also vaguely remember a thread where someone with the GPR exhaust said that there were some adjustment points to shorten the system.  IIRC, where the can met the pipe there was a fitting that could be loosened and the can would slide down the pipe a certain distance.

I'm kind of assuming worst case though.  That if it doesn't fit I'll have to do some cutting somewhere.  I want the Ti system, but less so if I can't chop it.

Sgt_H
Banned
Qfactor

Same shift, different gear.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:03:24 AM »

Keep in mind that Ti cans are very suseptible to scratches and are a pain to clean.

you can't polish Ti...

just an FYI.

Q

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."
Sgt_H

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 06:13:56 AM »

Keep in mind that Ti cans are very suseptible to scratches and are a pain to clean.

you can't polish Ti...

just an FYI.

Q

Why are Ti cans hard to clean?  I don't care for the real shiny exhaust look so I'm not too concerned with polishing.  Scratches and general up keep are more of a concern though.

Sgt_H
Banned
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »

If a racebike -- ti is worth the extra effort.

For street -- I'll be honest here, I really like the sound of stainless tubing better.  I've built the same exhaust design in mild steel, stainless and in ti.  I can always identify the stainless one as it resonates differently and sounds better.  Can covers ala aluminum, stainless, ti or CF sleeving -- no difference there from what I can hear.

TJR178

2004 Monster S4R, 2010 HD FLHRC

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 09:36:36 AM »

I've heard that Ti dings up easy too, but I have no FHE.

I'd do stainless.  Much easier to take care of in the long run...and cheaper.  Take it from a guy who bought the more expen$ive CF cans; I'd get stainless or Al if I did it again.
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 09:47:41 AM »

You didn't list the weight difference between the cans you're looking at. Would the weight difference really even be noticable?

Justin

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
Sgt_H

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 02:54:54 PM »

Thanks for the advice all.  You made this decision much easier.  As for weight difference, I don't know.  I tried asking On Cycles and they weren't sure, then the guy didn't get back to me.  That was a while ago though so I'm not too concerned. 

Thanks again, stainless are on order.

Sgt_H
Banned
spinned

time to ride!

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »

I shorted a set of Termis befor I bought my Sparks stainless pipes.  As long as there are rivets in the cans you should be able to drill them out and shorten them and then put new rivets in them.  I can post some pictures of the Termi chop parts if anyone is interested.  But here is my stainless high pipes.  I like stainless.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:29:32 PM by spinned » Logged

DRKWNG
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 11:33:01 PM »

I shorted a set of Termis befor I bought my Sparks stainless pipes.  As long as there are rivets in the cans you should be able to drill them out and shorten them and then put new rivets in them.  I can post some pictures of the Termi chop parts if anyone is interested.  But here is my stainless high pipes.  I like stainless.

Sorry for the thread jack, but it had to be done.  Wink  How do you like the sound quality of the Sparks versus the Termis?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: