Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 07:22:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: Monstrack Mirrors  (Read 9270 times)
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« on: May 13, 2008, 09:29:57 AM »

Like many other Monster owners, I was not happy with the stock mirrors on my bike.  They vibrated and moved out of position all the time and I was not able to see very much.

I decided to try out Monstrack mirrors.  Kevin, the owner, was exceedingly helpful and allowed me to try them on my bike before making my final decision.

They come in short, long, and extra-length versions.  Since I am small, I chose the short version, but I believe they may not extend far out enough for others, and most riders would probably prefer the long or extra-long versions.

The mirrors require a hex wrench to adjust them, they cannot be adjusted on the fly.  It took a bit of fiddling to get them where I liked them, but after I did so, the locking screws kept them in place.  Over time, a couple of the screws did loosen up, but applying a bit of loctite has kept them secure.

The visibility is great, I have no problem seeing a full lane to either side of me in them.  Vibration is minimal, especially compared to the stock mirrors, but I do get a little bit when on rough roads at high speeds. 

I've been happy with the way these mirrors look and work.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
arai_speed
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:46:21 AM »

Thanks for the write up.  They look very nice, too bad they are soooooooo expensive.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »

They are not that expensive? Price is for a pair, you know.
I did buy a pair of extra long for my S2R and found that they are exactly the same width as the stock mirrors. I wanted wider mirrors to see more straight behind me. Also the glass is not convex and I couldn't get used to that. If you're used to flat glass these are the very best, IMO.

I was able to sell mine locally for the full price and then got my Rizoma Impulsive from the legendary PJsParts. I have mounted them on SW-Motech wideners from TwistedThrottle and my mirrors are now 1.5 inches wider than stock. Just what I was looking for.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
factorPlayer

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:48:03 PM »

how bout a review of that sweet-ass steering damper?
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »

how bout a review of that sweet-ass steering damper?

That's next on my list. Wink

DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 10:36:44 PM »

Good writeup;

I quickly got tiered looking at my sholders and not being able to see beside and behind with the stock mirrors; so I put a third bar end convex miror similar to the lane splitters; it made a world of difference; I can see beside and behind.  Only problem-o is it looks goofy having a third mirror.

So I have on order 2 bar end Moto Guzzi black bar end Nepolian Mirrors; also Im hoping that the mirrors act as bar end weights to dampen some of the low speed vibrations.  I'll let you know how it all turns out in a week or 2 ...

Cheers Ducid [moto]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 10:41:25 PM by DuciD03 » Logged

.... all the world is yours.
duc996

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 02:50:14 AM »

They're not bad looking,how much did you get it for?

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 04:50:18 AM »

That's next on my list. Wink

How about starting a thread calling for EVERYONE to review their steering dampers - in the ONE thread! With pics!

Would be nice to able to scroll down ONE page, and get a good look at what numerous other people have done with dampers, & how they feel about them etc.

Nice write up on the mirrors!  waytogo

eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »

My $.02 on the mirrors-

My left mirror had managed to work loose at the attaching pin.  I emailed them and was told, very sweetly i might add, that it had a lifetime warranty.  Mail it to us and we'll fix or replace it.

Admittedly, I still have it sitting in a box in the kitchen, waiting to go out, but that is phenomenal, and makes the price seem even more reasonable.    waytogo waytogo waytogo

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 11:01:14 AM »

They're not bad looking,how much did you get it for?

If you go to the Monstrack webpage (click on the link in my original post), you will see the prices there.

Pancake81

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 02:15:21 PM »

I bought a really nice Rizoma barend that I LOVE. I have never really been partial to thsoe style. However I think they suite your bike nicely.

About the same time you're dragging your knees through a series of tight left-right-handers on Sunday afternoon, some guy in white shoes is sweating a 3-foot putt. Go figure.
Kaveh

Dirka Dirka

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 10:54:38 PM »

I had a pair of the long ones, I liked them a lot.  I am 6' and 220lbs, I could see fine with them.  The surface area of the mirrors are much smaller than the stock mirrors, so it *does* make it harder to tell the difference between a Lexus and crown vic behind you.  I'll let you figure out why that's important Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: