Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 04:10:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1996 900 SS with 11,000 miles  (Read 8229 times)
svoloch

too old to remember my titanium member...

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 06:04:08 PM »

are we all buying 900SS' now?  I'm totally in....   following your lead, Dax, i'll get one with D&Ds too...

Тише едешь, дальше будешь
2009 Streetfighter S
exes:
2006 Sh1t Hot Black Xerox 999     1973 BMW R75/5
2001 BMW K1200RS                     1994 BMW R1100S
1974 Guzzi T3                              1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW R90/S                         1973 Suzuki T500
svoloch

too old to remember my titanium member...

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 06:21:36 PM »

buy a 99 or later so you can put this on it:

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=18292.0

Тише едешь, дальше будешь
2009 Streetfighter S
exes:
2006 Sh1t Hot Black Xerox 999     1973 BMW R75/5
2001 BMW K1200RS                     1994 BMW R1100S
1974 Guzzi T3                              1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW R90/S                         1973 Suzuki T500
Samsonite

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 06:33:03 PM »

Interesting... looks nice from the pics. I know one thing for sure. With those D&D cans everyone would hear you coming. Since Alan left we really don't have any seriously loud bikes in the group. laughingdp You know, the "set off all the car alarms in the parking lot" kind of loud. I think you need that bike. waytogo 
my cruiser will set'em off all day/night long.
sorry, he was talking about motorcycles..  not barcaloungers on fat rear tires...    drink
For an inline, my R6 is annoyingly loud!  ask anyone who has ridden with me.  Andym even said it was horrible to follow  Tongue

Suzuki DS 80   Suzuki SP 125   Suzuki GSXR 1000   Ducati M600   Ducati SC 1000   Ducati S4R 1000   Ducati PS1000LE   Ducati 1098S   Yamaha YZFR 1000   Yamaha YZFR 600   Ducati Sport 900   Yamaha YSR 50   Triumph Daytona 600   2006 Suzuki GSX-R 600
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 06:41:49 PM »

http://www.ducatitech.com/2v/sp_cr_faq.html

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
muskrat

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »

here's the guys response.  guess I'm not getting the bike  Embarrassed
Hi Dax,

I am glad you get have seen the pictures and know that the bike is not perfect.  The bike is 13 years old and in great shape considering the year.  We have taken into consideration the condition, mileage and equipment on the unit when setting the price.  I can understand that you would like to come up with a firm price before making the trip from Dallas.  Based on your observations it looks like you are trying to anticipate "worst case" scenario, just as I would do.  I did take your offer to the owner today and he said that since we are currently waiting on one more part to finish the service we will not be able to firm up the price for less than the 3995. I'm not saying he won't work with you, I just know that he is not at a point where he can justify lowering the price until all work is complete.  Just to let you know the work that is being done is to the starter, nothing major.  Now the owner did say that if you would like us to not finish the starter service he would sell the bike for 3500.  Looks to me that we'll be able to work something out.  Please let me know your thoughts, John

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
muskrat

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 09:26:22 PM »

I have NO luck, I give up.  Here's another with AWEFUL orange flames
http://s694.photobucket.com/albums/vv304/rpedraza1982/

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
muskrat

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 07:07:35 AM »

are we all buying 900SS' now?  I'm totally in....   following your lead, Dax, i'll get one with D&Ds too...

would love to but can't find one for the price I'm willing to pay on a 10 year old bike.

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
andym

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 09:21:58 AM »

For an inline, my R6 is annoyingly loud!  ask anyone who has ridden with me.  Andym even said it was horrible to follow  Tongue

It was.  I had ear plugs in and it was bad, luckily I can't ride as fast as you so I was not behind you often.  John did not have earplugs in and his ears were still ringing on Monday.  Embarrassed

M696 Dark
RichD

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »

would love to but can't find one for the price I'm willing to pay on a 10 year old bike.

To me, with the bike listed above, it is not so much the age.
If the bodywork was not effed up and if it had adjustable forks I would give them about what they are asking...

The old 900's are good running bikes, and with minor tweaking, will walk away from most current Ducs of similar displacement
-Even two-up and with a dog in a sidecar!   Grin
Calcrazy (and others) who were on the Hill Country ride to the museum can attest to that.  waytogo

DFW-MFer!
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 01:22:35 PM »

If the bodywork was not effed up and if it had adjustable forks I would give them about what they are asking...

The old 900's are good running bikes, and with minor tweaking, will walk away from most current Ducs of similar displacement
Calcrazy (and others) who were on the Hill Country ride to the museum can attest to that.  waytogo

That's good info.  I like the looks of the square headlight version and always thought it would make a good bike for me one day so I'm glad to hear it wasn't something terminal in the "stay-away" department... terminal like flaking rockers  Shocked

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 04:01:29 PM »

just make sure you know the issues with those bikes:

- cracked frames
- cracked swingarms
- crank galley plugs improperly staked and back out
- alternator bearing premature failure

i have a 95 ss/sp and i love it.  replaced the frame, and the alternator bearing, and am crossfingers on the rest.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »

Shocked  Replaced the FRAME?!?!
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 05:32:55 PM »

Look it up.

1994-96 900SS bikes suffered from a defect in the yoke welds. Ducat was still replacing the frames for free even after warranty until about a year ago (they might still).  You have to pay the labor charge, they supply the frame.

It can also be fixed by gusseting the yoke.

It did not happen on all bikes, probably about 10% of them.  If the homologation label is riveted to the frame, then it is one of the bikes that may crack.

muskrat

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 06:06:52 PM »

I do love'em loud  Grin Grin Grin

he said he will get back with me next week.  Who knows, if I'm lucky enough you'll all be hearing me ROAR past you  Cool

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 06:51:46 PM »

Look it up.

1994-96 900SS bikes suffered from a defect in the yoke welds. Ducat was still replacing the frames for free even after warranty until about a year ago (they might still).  You have to pay the labor charge, they supply the frame.

It can also be fixed by gusseting the yoke.

It did not happen on all bikes, probably about 10% of them.  If the homologation label is riveted to the frame, then it is one of the bikes that may crack.

Wasn't doubting what you were saying; it's all good to know though  waytogo
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: