Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 10:37:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Special Nut Removal. Please help.  (Read 1592 times)
jmoth79

« on: January 27, 2009, 05:45:45 PM »

Im currently in the process of removing my SSS from my '05 S2R 800 for powder coat.
Has anyone successfully removed this plastic piece (called the special nut) from the swingarm?  How did you do it??

You are not a unique snowflake.  You are the same decaying, organic matter as the rest of us.
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »

Yeah, I removed it.  You need an threaded bolt on the end of a rod -- that's how I removed it. 

Where are you located?

You might try a bolt (I think it's M10 or M8 -- I could check) and a few ratchet extensions and see if it reaches.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
jmoth79

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:47:34 AM »

Thanks for the response.

I'm in upstate NY....Ithaca.

So to elaborate on what you said,  I need to thread in a longer bolt and tap it out from the other side?
Because my impression is that the plastic nut is pressed into the swingarm...

thanks again

You are not a unique snowflake.  You are the same decaying, organic matter as the rest of us.
Oldfisti
Some call it a sub, dagwood, hoagie or footlong. I just call it my...

My mom says I'm a catch.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 06:50:18 AM »

Thanks for the response.

I'm in upstate NY....Ithaca.

So to elaborate on what you said,  I need to thread in a longer bolt and tap it out from the other side?
Because my impression is that the plastic nut is pressed into the swingarm...

thanks again

Yes. It should not be in there terribly tight. I don't remember having a lot of difficulty pressing it out.

It's like I keep saying:  Those who would sacrifice a free range session for a giant beer, deserve neither free range time nor a giant beer.
i have had guys reach back and grab my crotch in an attempt to get around me. i'll either blow in their ear or ask them politely to let go of my wang.
jmoth79

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:14:55 AM »

Am I also correct in saying that item #12 also retains both item #4 and #13? (see pic in original post)

If not, how do you remove #4 and #13?

Thanks

OverCaffeinated

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »

Yes item 12 goes through 4 and 13, through the lower shock eyelet and onto item 11.

In reading the previous posts it's not very clear to me the process that is described.

This is what I did when I swapped out my lowering link. I believe the manual actually says to remove item 12 first, but you can't. Support the rear of bike and remove bolt 11, then item 12 will basically fall out. They attached a huge piece of plastic to the bolt at the end of item 12 so you don't drop the bolt into the swingarm.
jmoth79

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 07:03:51 AM »

Worked great!

Thanks again!

Bizzarrini
Showing off his

'94 M900

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 07:08:29 AM »

When I first read the title of this topic, I thought: "OMG! That's gonna hurt!" Grin

"As a final touch, God created the Dutch"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: