Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 04:58:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 fingers? 3 Fingers? or FOUR FINGERS!  (Read 26685 times)
Lord_Bragle

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 06:25:26 PM »

I use 2 fingers on the brake -it seems to suit me and feels natural.  But I’m lacking enough breaking effect for really hard stops, I just don’t have enough strength with only 2 fingers; I can get the bike to haul up well enough but the effort needed masks or negates any feel from the brake, my bikes an S2R and its consensus that the brakes on these are pretty dire.

I’m wondering if I need to move the -brake lever to bar- mounting position inboard a bit, and away from the twist grip to get my 2 fingers placed farther along the lever where greater leverage would be achieved, the trouble with this though is that there’s then a greater reach to the lever; as soon as the weather improves a bit I’m going to have a look at this and see if it makes any difference.
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2009, 06:31:51 PM »

I use 2 fingers on the brake -it seems to suit me and feels natural.  But I’m lacking enough breaking effect for really hard stops, I just don’t have enough strength with only 2 fingers; I can get the bike to haul up well enough but the effort needed masks or negates any feel from the brake, my bikes an S2R and its consensus that the brakes on these are pretty dire.

I’m wondering if I need to move the -brake lever to bar- mounting position inboard a bit, and away from the twist grip to get my 2 fingers placed farther along the lever where greater leverage would be achieved, the trouble with this though is that there’s then a greater reach to the lever; as soon as the weather improves a bit I’m going to have a look at this and see if it makes any difference.

By your descriptions I would venture saying that you have an S2R800. The brakes are pretty worthless on them, but some sintered can go a long way on the short term.

Really, what you should do is scout the market for an upgrade to your braking system. Some pretty good deals show up on the parts for sale board every once in a while.

Lord_Bragle

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2009, 07:02:43 PM »

It is indeed the S2R 800 El Matador, I’m definitely going to swap to sintered pads sometime this spring, I already put them in the back brake and they improved things no end, and intend to stick em in the fronts as soon as I can.  I don’t want to go down the complete new front break system rout though; although I do understand that the 4 piston breaks would be a huge improvement.  But I wonder if a change to an adjustable lever plus moving the mount position might be just enough with some new pads to get me a decent 2 finger brake.
derby

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 07:22:21 PM »

it's cheaper to adjust the lever in and move your hand out further on the bar.  Grin

I don’t want to go down the complete new front break system rout though; although I do understand that the 4 piston breaks would be a huge improvement.  But I wonder if a change to an adjustable lever plus moving the mount position might be just enough with some new pads to get me a decent 2 finger brake.

a member on tob had success with putting his brother's 748 master cylinder on the bike. i can't remember what chris kelly's setup was on his 800 (maybe a different m/c), but i remember him being quite happy w/ the brakes.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
Desmostro

alis volat propriis

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 11:22:30 PM »

I keep 2 fingers on the brake all the time.
Middle finger for power, index is finger for the feel.
SBK Brembo's are another thing.

(Editor MrI.  Wink thanks)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 07:16:29 PM by Desmostro » Logged

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 02:45:11 PM »

I keep 2 fingers on the break all the time.
Middle finger for power, index is finger for the feel.
SBK Brembo's are another thing.

I prefer to keep fingers on the brake.  Wink

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
OstOgBajer
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 09:47:43 PM »

Maybe I'm weird... but I use my middle and ring fingers, leaving my pointer and pinky hovering above the break. Kinda rock and roll  Cool  Roll Eyes

That then leaves me with two extra fingers  to grab with in emergancy breaking... I guess... assuming I'm already on the brakes when I need to emergancy break... heh... I dunno
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 09:50:36 PM by OstOgBajer » Logged
Smokescreen

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2009, 09:00:56 PM »

Totally a preference thing. I brake with the middle finger/ring finger (no index/pinky)!

wark, I believe that means you do the Vulcan!  but that one's not on your diagram!?

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary. 

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Holden
Sausage Creature

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2009, 04:05:14 AM »

wark, I believe that means you do the Vulcan!  but that one's not on your diagram!?

wouldn't Vulcan = "spocker?" I think I do the reverse of that: rock and roll headbanger / ASL "i love you"

Smokescreen

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2009, 11:11:29 AM »

ahh, right you are.  I dunno if that's the "I love you" or "Sign of The Devil"...  Spose it depends on where your thumb is...  Strange coincidence that those two are soo similar?  Evil

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary. 

Holden
Sausage Creature

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 01:24:32 PM »

ahh, right you are.  I dunno if that's the "I love you" or "Sign of The Devil"...  Spose it depends on where your thumb is...  Strange coincidence that those two are soo similar?  Evil

I wondered about that!

But on second thought that looks like I brake/clutch with just my index and pinky... maybe what I really do is the "Dane Cook?"

Smokescreen

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2009, 03:03:09 PM »

Damn... the dane Cook huh?  You're gonna wanna fix that.

On a slightly more serious note, a while back, I put some CRG shortys on an M900 and this DB up at SBDBcati tells me I shouldn't because there's no way you can get enough force out of shorty levers.....  After putting the levers on, the bike continued to be a one finger braker....  When it inevitably went down, the right shorty took the brunt (bent bar crushed the cf tank) and survived without needing so much as a hammer blow.  just scratched up!  On my S2R1K I've got the CRGs in normal length, and I really wish I had the shortys.  I use my index, middle, and ring finger and leave my pinky sticking out ( I'm well aware of what we could call this method, but it's not even a little PC) but I still don't need a full length lever. 

And I have pretty big hands.  Thank goodness

DLSGAP

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »

I usually jsut cover with my middle finger.. which is great because when i'm on the street people think im flipping them off for looking at me...

when breaking... usally just the middle... sometimes middle and ring... my pinky is too damn short to reach anything anyways.. lately though with my brake issues... it feels like i need to wrap my whole damn hand around the lever and put all my weight into pulling back on it... its an interesting feeling when you're at the track doin about 140 and you discover you have NO front brake.

Damien
'07 Kawi ZX-10R Candy Plasma Blue
Draggin Knees since 1988

Innovatek

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2009, 07:30:10 AM »

I use two fingers, during MSF the instructor told me to use four during the class. But he said that was from his Harley riding perspective and how it took "a few small children to pull back the breaks on the Harley" in comparison to a sport bike.
duc996

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2009, 01:00:47 AM »

On traffic i use one finger,the rest of the time it's two.

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: