Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 02, 2024, 01:59:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For the sbk and Bayliss fans  (Read 3702 times)
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 08:41:52 AM »

i've thought some of these are cool...i think they all meet the euro standards:  http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/ece-22-05.htm

http://www.bandithelmets.com/AlienII/index.htm
http://www.streetfightersinc.com/Helmets-StreetFighter.htm

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
alexisonfire

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 09:20:32 AM »

Some say the lining of his helmet is cashmere and the inside of his overalls is 24 carat gold like the engine bay of a MacLaren F1 but all we know is he's called the Stig.

waytogo

Simpson Racing btw.

You can live to 100 if you give up all the things that make you want to live to 100.

07 S2R 1000
UnionJill

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 09:20:59 AM »

Pretty sure MotoLiberty carries Suomy.  I know AMS/Dallas does.

I have seen Suomy Vanals at MotoLiberty, but they DON'T carry the Spec 1Rs or Extremes.  They don't fit most people but they will order them if you want.  I have been told that the Vandals fit differently, I have never tried them.  I have the Spec 1R, they fit me well, but then most helmets don't work with all of my hair and the pony tail.

Don't know about the Vandals, but the Spec 1Rs have a ton of wind noise.

My current one is the second one.  The first one experienced a pretty good hit (with my head in it).  Unlike the article, my head did a double bounce in the same spot, coming off of a bike at no speed.  (ok, I did something stupid in my driveway, details require beers for me to remember  drink).  I was so amazed that I came away without even a hint of a headache. I decided that even with the wind noise, I was going to stick with something that worked for me.  

I read that article a number of times before I got my first (and second) helmet, but I still had a hard time buying one of the ones that tested well but from not from one of the leading brands.  I am not usually a brand driven person, but there is something about going with a brand that has been in the industry for years. You would think that they would want to keep you around to purchase another...

Ronr, It is scary that the Shoei didn't hold up.  But I guess the question is, did your head survive?  Did they engineer it to give way, much like a crumple zone?

'06 Triumph 675 Daytona

"Death steals everything except for our stories"
      Jim Harrison (In Search of Small Gods)
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 01:47:22 PM »

Some say the lining of his helmet is cashmere and the inside of his overalls is 24 carat gold like the engine bay of a MacLaren F1 but all we know is he's called the Stig.

waytogo

Simpson Racing btw.

They're incredibly uncomfortable and impractical.

Their top of the line model doesn't even have a little clip to hold the strap after you strap it on

DLSGAP

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 08:16:25 AM »

I bought my Suomy at Griff's in Lewisville. Also, Wilz Garage can get them.

Its a shame that the Bayles replica is their lower end helmet though... Vandal as opposed to the Spec1R

Damien
'07 Kawi ZX-10R Candy Plasma Blue
Draggin Knees since 1988

DLSGAP

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 08:20:37 AM »

Don't know about the Vandals, but the Spec 1Rs have a ton of wind noise.

The misses has the Vandal and she likes it... says the noise isn't bad at all.
I've got the Spec1R-Extreme. The difference between the Spec1 and the Extreme is that the Extreme has vents that are constantly open to allow greater airflow (hence the wind noise). the regular spec1 doesnt have that so it should be a little quieter.

I've never had a problem with it bothering me. But I would definitely recommend earplugs to anyone getting an extreme

Damien
Draggin Knees since 1988

♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 08:31:52 AM »

But I would definitely recommend earplugs to anyone getting an extreme

hopefully those are just a given, in this crowd, at least.

speaking of which, i was at RPM cycles the other day, and a guy pulled up on an old trophy...and had earplugs that were custom molded for his ears.  i asked him where he found them at...he said he got them done at a bike show in dallas years back...like 5 years ago.  i'm wondering what the company name is...if there's anyone around here locally that does that; i'm not a huge fan of the foam plugs...they don't last long, and you have to screw with them for a good seal...so i use construction earplugs, which aren't very comfortable, but last a long time.  would like some custom ones though.

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
DLSGAP

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 12:14:32 PM »

They're at the shows every year... and they'll do a mold on the spot for ya... kinda like getting a tube of caulking and filling your ear up

there's a local company that makes custom ear plugs for dj's and musicians... it should be the same process to get some made... these are a little different and run about 175 a pair...

site: www.soundadvice-earplugs.com
email: jason_vasilas@hotmail.com
phone: 214-335-58585

And the company that goes to the shows is called 'Big Ear'.. they're based out of Colorado...  http://www.bigearinc.com/home/Default.aspx

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:18:21 PM by DLSGAP » Logged

Damien
Draggin Knees since 1988

Giannis
Bad Brains

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »

Seeing crash results from some of the less expensive helmets is interesting. I guess the big name helmets aren't the only way to go now. I crashed a really nice new Shoei in a highside and the side of the helmet hit hard enough that it cracked each end of the chinbar where it meets the rest of the helmet. I think the shell compressed enough to cause that, because there were no marks on the chinbar. I know helmets are supposed to be pretty sacrificial but that kind of failure surprised me.

I think the results woul dbe worst with a cheaper helmet, Arai and Shoei make their helmets to break on a crash while protecting your head.. you cant expet the helmet to look like brand new after a crash. I know i tried both Arai and Shoei in crashing and i walked away!

Billy: We did it, man. We did it, we did it. We're rich, man. We're retirin' in Florida now, mister....
Captain America: You know Billy, we blew it....
www.speedjunkies.gr
Ronr

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 07:30:08 PM »

I think the results woul dbe worst with a cheaper helmet, Arai and Shoei make their helmets to break on a crash while protecting your head.. you cant expet the helmet to look like brand new after a crash. I know i tried both Arai and Shoei in crashing and i walked away!

Who said anything about expecting it to look brand new?  Silly statement.

I would expect local failure in the impact area, but the whole shell would have to deform quite a bit to fracture the chin bar like that.  I'd still use a Shoei though, it protected my skull with no impact-type effects.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: