Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 22, 2024, 06:14:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Lego Visor graphic initial design  (Read 68370 times)
ghosthound

« Reply #225 on: March 22, 2009, 12:58:28 AM »

I agree with the laminate creating a haze.  It is optically clear before it is applied to the vinyl, but the heat used to apply it, as well as heating it when we install it on our visors, causes distortion.  The laminate was intended to preserve the graphic and ease cleaning because it would not allow debris to get trapped in the perforations.  The laminated graphic will last forever, but if you don't feel comfortable riding with it its not worth it.  I am printing the second batch Monday, and I'm going to forgo the lamination process.  I want to ride with it for awhile to see how it performs.

trenner,

Do you think an extra inch in height would've given you enough room?

Let me know when that laminated batch is ready... I have no issues with the perforations but its the lamination that makes it hard to see. 

I totally understand the need for the lamination if the application was for the long haul. 
Mojo S2R
Wearing a cape offline so that others know I am a

. Dark Mojo .

« Reply #226 on: March 22, 2009, 01:09:52 AM »

Let me know when that laminated batch is ready... I have no issues with the perforations but its the lamination that makes it hard to see. 

I totally understand the need for the lamination if the application was for the long haul. 

Same here.

How hard is it to take off?  I may hold off putting the laminated one on and just get one of the non-laminated ones.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:34:38 PM by Mojo S2R » Logged

ghosthound

« Reply #227 on: March 22, 2009, 01:23:06 AM »

would it be possible to have the laminate come separately? 

ute

I Have Titanium

« Reply #228 on: March 22, 2009, 01:02:13 PM »

trenner,

for me an extra inch would have been perfect
trenner

« Reply #229 on: March 22, 2009, 02:11:42 PM »

trenner,

for me an extra inch would have been perfect

If the vinyl had been 6.5" overall height, with that extra material added ONLY to the top (above the eyes) to make it so, it would have been perfect for my application.
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #230 on: March 23, 2009, 07:44:01 PM »

Same here.

How hard is it to take off?  I may hold off putting the laminated one on and just get one of the non-laminated ones.
would it be possible to have the laminate come separately? 

Okay, I think I have come up with a solution.  The laminate does not come off the graphic.  The two materials are heated(melted almost) together.  We could do a clear vinyl separately, like tear offs racers use, but there would still be distortion because the clear layer would be held off the visor by the perforations, creating a space and haziness.  Personally, I haven't tried it, but I doubt its worth the hassle. 

Solution:  I have found clear protective gel that can be sprayed over the graphic during production.  This will protect the ink, but the perforations remain clear.  I also added an inch to the top to aid installation. 

Thanks for your input guys!  Printing the new batch today.

- Will

M-ROCin' it!!!
ghosthound

« Reply #231 on: March 23, 2009, 08:34:25 PM »

Okay, I think I have come up with a solution.  The laminate does not come off the graphic.  The two materials are heated(melted almost) together.  We could do a clear vinyl separately, like tear offs racers use, but there would still be distortion because the clear layer would be held off the visor by the perforations, creating a space and haziness.  Personally, I haven't tried it, but I doubt its worth the hassle. 

Solution:  I have found clear protective gel that can be sprayed over the graphic during production.  This will protect the ink, but the perforations remain clear.  I also added an inch to the top to aid installation. 

Thanks for your input guys!  Printing the new batch today.

- Will

Genius!

Sign me up for one!
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #232 on: March 24, 2009, 07:09:51 AM »

I agree with the laminate creating a haze.  It is optically clear before it is applied to the vinyl, but the heat used to apply it, as well as heating it when we install it on our visors, causes distortion.  The laminate was intended to preserve the graphic and ease cleaning because it would not allow debris to get trapped in the perforations.  The laminated graphic will last forever, but if you don't feel comfortable riding with it its not worth it.  I am printing the second batch Monday, and I'm going to forgo the lamination process.  I want to ride with it for awhile to see how it performs.

entertaining previous customer discounts for those that want to try out your verson 2.0?  don't get me wrong, it's very high quality, and even my poor sticker application skills were good enough to apply it; i think it would last for a long time.  but that said, i felt unsafe enough that i went out the very next day and bought more visors, as i didn't think this would be smart to be a "daily driver".

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
ghosthound

« Reply #233 on: March 24, 2009, 04:02:55 PM »

definitely not a daily driver. 
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #234 on: March 24, 2009, 08:06:33 PM »

IMO you're just asking for Jonny Law to pull you over and harass you.

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
ghosthound

« Reply #235 on: March 24, 2009, 08:11:38 PM »

There are a lot of things we do that can provoke that kind of response from "johnny law"...

This just happens to be one of the cooler ones  laughingdp
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2009, 05:41:54 AM »

somehow, i don't think so.

everyone i've show these pics to breaks out laughing.  it is hard to feel aggressive with that look on your helmet.

part of the problem riding with a full-faced helmet is people can't see your face and know if you're smiling or frowning or if you're an alien or whathaveyou.  wearing this decal makes people think you're smiling.

it certainly cracks me up every time i look at them.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
habitualspeeder

« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2009, 01:46:30 PM »

sweet.  just sent payment for 1 from new batch.

thanks!
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2009, 01:58:26 PM »

Yeah, I'm incredulous about that.  Rather, I think it's one reason for John E. Law to give a pass to ALL THE OTHER STUPID STUFF I do that makes him want to pull me over and harass me.

Actually, I look like an old dude (that is, the old dude that I am) even when I'm fully geared up.  I'm convinced this is why I've NOT been pulled over on a number of occasions when I should have.

The Lego/Smiley Visor will only add to this great "package" I am.   laughingdp [moto]

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Monster Dave

« Reply #239 on: March 26, 2009, 02:48:27 PM »

More pics people!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: