Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 12:17:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is missing here?  (Read 3920 times)
JohnieBraaf

« on: May 14, 2008, 09:32:31 AM »

Dear forum members,

I just bought a second hand Ducati M600 from 94, and while cleaning and checking the bike I noticed a hole in the carburetor pipe.
There is a threaded hole in this pipe, with nothing in it. This looks a bit odd to me. Does anybody know what is missing here?

See the picture for a detailed view:

If I look at the carburetor pipe of the other cylinder I notice that from this pipe a hose is going to a vacuum pump like thing located under the right side of the seat.

Until someone can tell me more about this mysterious hole I am afraid to ride the bike and break anything, so don't hesitate to share your thoughts.  Cool

Jan from Belgium  Wink

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:40:31 AM by JohnieBraaf » Logged
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:11:55 AM »

That hole needs to be plugged.

An M5x8 screw will do it.
A washer and a little sealant would be good too.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
JohnieBraaf

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:19:17 AM »

Ok thanks for the quick reply!  Cool

Plugging it won't be a problem, but do you think that the missing bolt could have caused damage?
oppet

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:22:41 AM »

It will run very lean with plug of. soon as you get it plugged you should notice very different running if not there maybe something gone wrong, like piston or sparkplug
oppet

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:26:10 AM »

maybe you wont hear it in idle, but it must have popped when you have driven it

edit i mean popping sound
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:34:17 AM by oppet » Logged
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 10:30:14 AM »

As previously said, would have leaned the bike out a lot, did it have any running issues before?

If you remove your emissions stuff, you'll actually pull the hose off the other intake tube and plug that too.

Justin

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
sur4die

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 10:38:10 AM »

there should be 2 of those holes on each of your intake runners. 

each intake would have had a emissions nipple on the outward facing holes.  These are the nipples that the ckank case vent would have connected to.  They are also used to attach a manometer when measuring the vacuum to synchronize the carbs.
The vertical intake's inward facing hole feeds the fuel pump while the horizontal intake's inward facing hole should feed the vacuum actuated petcock.
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 11:00:28 AM »

there should be 2 of those holes on each of your intake runners. 

each intake would have had a emissions nipple on the outward facing holes.  These are the nipples that the ckank case vent would have connected to.  They are also used to attach a manometer when measuring the vacuum to synchronize the carbs.
The vertical intake's inward facing hole feeds the fuel pump while the horizontal intake's inward facing hole should feed the vacuum actuated petcock.

Well that's the full answer.

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
sur4die

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 12:43:43 PM »

Grin
i've spent entirely too much time futzing with my fuel system
 Grin
JohnieBraaf

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 01:50:56 PM »

Very very good,  Smiley

So I now know I have to get a new nipple, to be able to sync the carburetors afterwards.

But you are telling me that I can unplug the emission hose connected to the other intake runner:
If you remove your emissions stuff, you'll actually pull the hose off the other intake tube and plug that too.

Does this make the bike run better, or have any other consequences?
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 09:10:31 PM »

There is a possibility the carbs may need to be synched after plugging.
sur4die

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 06:18:54 AM »

the whole concept behind the emissions equipment is that you are combusting the non tail pipe "emissions" of the engine.  these emissions are gunky things like "blow by" that exit the engine via the one-way reed valve in the crank case breather.  while this process reduces some of the bike's noxious emissions it basically amounts to piping a unregulated mixture of cruddy oil/fuel into your combustion chamber.

this is why most people remove the canister and hoses and just vent these noxious emissions to the atmosphere through a little cotton/gauze filter (K&N).

check out the ducatisuite write up on the topic
http://www.ducatisuite.com/emissions.html
Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 06:02:00 AM »

If I look at the carburetor pipe of the other cylinder I notice that from this pipe a hose is going to a vacuum pump like thing located under the right side of the seat.

Vacuum pump is actually fuel pump

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: