Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 26, 2024, 03:48:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I designed a new windscreen.  (Read 5178 times)
eichh

« on: February 24, 2009, 09:42:51 AM »

I wanted a larger windscreen but didn't like the tombstone look of the sport tourer that is offered for my 01 S4. I wanted something more curved and stretched back for room to put a gps or radar detector . So I designed one out of wood to get the shape that I wanted so it can be used as a slug to vacuum mold scratch resistant tinted (or clear) Lexan. I found a shop near buy that does just that and it is getting made and should be done next week some time. They will keep a molded slug for production if it all works out. Here are some pictures of the wood slug and an simulation of what it will look like in tinted Lexan, only not as dark the material is a smoke color.What do you guys think?

OverCaffeinated

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 10:12:15 AM »

Looks good. I think your design really compliments the rest of the fairing.

I've always wondered how much of a difference there is when riding having a windscreen? I have a dark model with no fairing.
grandpa nate
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 10:22:57 AM »

Looks good. I think your design really compliments the rest of the fairing.

I've always wondered how much of a difference there is when riding having a windscreen? I have a dark model with no fairing.

Way back in 99 when I bought my first monster, it came w/a windscreen.  As I was moving I left it on even though I didn't really like it.  About 3-4 months later I took it off and was generally pleased with myself until I jumped on the freeway at my usual clip and needless to say the windscreen went back on when I got home.  It is amazing how much that little piece o plastic does.
OverCaffeinated

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »

Way back in 99 when I bought my first monster, it came w/a windscreen.  As I was moving I left it on even though I didn't really like it.  About 3-4 months later I took it off and was generally pleased with myself until I jumped on the freeway at my usual clip and needless to say the windscreen went back on when I got home.  It is amazing how much that little piece o plastic does.

Wow. I thought the difference would be marginal at best. I might pick one up just to try it out. Thanks
Raux
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:40:10 AM »

have you thought about a lip at the top to direct the wind over your helmet instead of at it?
eichh

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »

Raux I thought of that but I wanted it to have a sporty,agressive look to it which is why it curves back unstead of up but I notched the top so you can shove your helmet as close as possible. When I lean forward (how I would normally ride) the screen will direct the wind twards the top 2-3 inches of the helmet but if im on the tank (for long hauls) I will be completly out of the wind. Im a 5' 7" rider to get an idea of what it is based off of. I imagine a 6' tall rider would be tapping their helmet if they were to lay down on the tank but for anyone 5'9" and under it would work out about the same. I didnt get any pictures of me on the bike before I dropped the mold off, my bad. Heres a cool video I found on the strength of a Lexan windscreen. Maybe some of you run into these situations in your daily commute.

monster monkey
After I Eat, I Am A

That Really Is Me, I Promise!

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 12:20:59 PM »

If production is affordable, would you be willing to distribute?  Grin

Everytime I'm on two wheels, the streets part, heavens open, and hearts pound

The heart pounding is true, at least...
eichh

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 12:36:49 PM »

Monster monkey yes that is my goal. Pricing will depend on how many would be interested, the more I have them do the better pricing they said. Once I get the first one back and ensure everything is cool I will derby the final product and see who might want one and take orders.
DucDucGoose

07-S4R POS-R6 79-XS650 flat track project

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 02:38:09 PM »

Monster monkey yes that is my goal. Pricing will depend on how many would be interested, the more I have them do the better pricing they said. Once I get the first one back and ensure everything is cool I will derby the final product and see who might want one and take orders.

If pricing is reasonable count me in for an order.  smoked if available.  waytogo

"Why is everything I enjoy so damn expensive!"
DucDucGoose

07-S4R POS-R6 79-XS650 flat track project

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 03:00:59 AM »

Any news on this screen?

"Why is everything I enjoy so damn expensive!"
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 04:31:21 AM »

If pricing is reasonable count me in for an order.  smoked if available.  waytogo

i might be interested in a smoked as well.

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
eichh

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 08:35:46 AM »

I just talked to him today and he said they got busy and fell behind. He said it should be done this weekend. Doesnt it always seem like the same story? For some reason everyone always gets really busy after you drop your stuff off. Im just going to assume it will be another week. 
Wedge
Wedge

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »

Count me in!  I'm looking for some more protection for a planned trip this summer. Grin
eichh

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 12:04:03 PM »

I know, I call every week asking if its done and he assures me it will be done soon.  If the guy didnt do such nice work I would find someone else but I would rather have patients and get something good than to rush it and get crap. Im having a hard time finding a rubber channel to go accross the top like the stock one has any idea where I could find something like that? I will keep you guys posted and get pictures up as soon as I can.
greenohawk69

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 12:20:31 PM »

Rubber channel...what about something in the plumbing area of the hardware store.  Something that would possibly work with a shower door. 

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: