Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 17, 2024, 11:28:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 6421 6422 [6423] 6424 6425 ... 14331   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official "Say Anything" Thread  (Read 7269810 times)
The Bacon Junkie
I have a Bacon Wrapped

Save the brass...

« Reply #96330 on: October 29, 2011, 09:30:17 AM »

Let's see if we can lure him out of his hole...

Hey Gang... 

Thanks Bick...  Wink waytogo

I've been pretty busy lately trying to get my life in order.  I'm looking for a new place to live, as I was asked to leave my current living situation (I have about a month to do so).

I'm looking to go back to school to change careers, because even with a "Teacher Of The Year" award and many accolades from parents and other teachers, I got a whopping 2% raise.  That doesn't even cover cost of living increase. Sad   The standard raise used to be 5% if you ticked all the boxes. I've ticked all the boxes and added a few boxes of my own...  I want to be able to support a family someday, and making shy of 30K as a teacher in Kalifornia ain't getting the job done.  With more and more cutbacks in education every year, it doesn't look like things are going to change anytime soon.  boo

The dilemma is, do I get a place to live, then have to move again within a month or two depending on where I get accepted to a school?  Do I just move back to Connecticut and stay with my folks and only apply to schools there?  I'm thinking about becoming an RN.  There's a huge demand and there's job security.  I'd also be able to make a salary that would allow me support a family if I wanted... (I do). 

I'm trying (halfheartedly) to sell the 999 so I can afford to go back to school/move/afford a place to live.  I got a bunch of other stuff I need to sell too, as I probably can't take it all with me.  Tongue

So, that's pretty much what's going on...

Oh, and my Papa just had shoulder surgery.  The joint had deteriorated to the point where he had pretty much lost all function in his right arm.  Sad   They had to entirely rebuild the whole shoulder structure.  They cut off the top half of his upper arm bone and pounded a metal stake with a ball on the end down through the center of the remaining bone.  Then they cut away most of the other half of the shoulder joint and welded/glued/attached a plastic and Teflon cup in there.  They snapped everything back together like Legos.  The upside is that the surrounding bone and muscle tissue had no deterioration.  waytogo  The Doc said the bones and muscles looked like those of a 30 year-old.  Smiley  So, it looks like it will be 6-8 months of intense therapy to get him back to around 75% mobility.  But, 75% is a whole lot better than what he had before... 

So, that's weighing on my mind too... Do I move back to CT to help my Mom take care of my Dad, and go to school there?  That seems like the most sensible idea, but over the last (almost) 8 years I've built a new life for myself in CA.   

So, thanks for asking about me, y'all.  Smiley  I'm sure my answer was a bit more than you bargained for, huh...   Wink 

chug

bacon
-Ryan

I only see jesus having a sauna with a teletubbie.
I find it disturbing that you're imagining me in a sauna, never mind the teletubbie aspect of it

Save the Brass...
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #96331 on: October 29, 2011, 09:41:17 AM »

I was almost certain you were on the road to be ML's lackey... Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pip
BRRAAAAIIINNNNSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

ROLL TIDE

« Reply #96332 on: October 29, 2011, 09:43:17 AM »

I hope things get a little clearer for you soon, Bacon Buddy.  bacon

"You can fight a lot of enemies and survive, but not your biology."

Wouldn't fat air be easier to disappear into?
The Bacon Junkie
I have a Bacon Wrapped

Save the brass...

« Reply #96333 on: October 29, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »

I was almost certain you were on the road to be ML's lackey... Grin

That's still a possibility....  Wink

If he helps pay for tuition, room and board...   laughingdp

I hope things get a little clearer for you soon, Bacon Buddy.  bacon

Thanks, Zombie Buddy!   Smiley

bacon

I find it disturbing that you're imagining me in a sauna, never mind the teletubbie aspect of it

Save the Brass...
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #96334 on: October 29, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »

That's still a possibility....  Wink

If he helps pay for tuition, room and board...   laughingdp

Thanks, Zombie Buddy!   Smiley

bacon
so...

this going back to school thing...

whatcha wanna be?

edit...

T just refreshed my memory...

good luck
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:24:33 AM by ducpainter » Logged

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #96335 on: October 29, 2011, 10:19:02 AM »

Good to see you, Junkie. chug

Best wishes in what ever endeavor you decide. waytogo

It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger.

* A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition *
AJ

« Reply #96336 on: October 29, 2011, 11:22:35 AM »

Good to see you, Junkie. chug

Best wishes in what ever endeavor you decide. waytogo

+1
 bacon chug bacon Dolph bacon

It was great meeting "The Dude" at long last.   She brought us some epic beer.
The Bacon Junkie
I have a Bacon Wrapped

Save the brass...

« Reply #96337 on: October 29, 2011, 11:27:34 AM »

Thanks DP, Bick, Dude...  Wink

I love my job teaching kids, but it's just not cutting it, salary-wise anymore.  Sad

Once I get certified as an RN, I want to specialize in pediatrics.  That way I can continue to help young children.  Smiley

bacon

Save the Brass...
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #96338 on: October 29, 2011, 12:22:29 PM »

My understanding is a concrete slab poured in cold weather cures better, albeit more slowly, because the top and bottom cure at a more uniform rate.

In hot weather the bottom cures very slowly compared to the top which is exposed to the sun.

My concern is he wants to use calcium to get the concrete to kick so he can finish it. I understand his concern because of the low temps. I'm not really worried about the corrosion because it will take a very long time to destroy the reinforcing wire, and there is no other metal involved.

Calcium can cause issues with the way I want to color the slab. If I can't get the etching stain to take I'll be forced to rough up the surface and paint. I don't want that.

I should have waited until next spring... Undecided
I used to like you. Angry laughingdp
This

Don't worry about the temp. Unless it drops below zero you don't have anything to worry about. It's going to be making its own heat as it cures to.

The corrosion is a nonissue as well. This time of year every concrete guy is pushing the cal. Use liquid if you can, you want it evenly distributed in the mix. More than likely they will have bags, but with the finish you want it "could" be problematic.

Without the cal he could be there into the next day trying to get a finish on it. He could up the cement in the mix use a 3000 or 3500 psi mix and or a plasticizer. But if he has no experience with plasticizers now isn't the time for him to start. The higher percent cement and lack of water will make it kick and make it stronger.

If your using a true etch to finish your floor I wouldn't swett the cal. A true etch is a chemical reaction and will have to be neutralized (usually with a baking soda solution). This is probably the only way I would "stain" a floor in my home. It will bring life to the concrete rather than just a color.

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #96339 on: October 29, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »

This

Don't worry about the temp. Unless it drops below zero you don't have anything to worry about. It's going to be making its own heat as it cures to.

The corrosion is a nonissue as well. This time of year every concrete guy is pushing the cal. Use liquid if you can, you want it evenly distributed in the mix. More than likely they will have bags, but with the finish you want it "could" be problematic.

Without the cal he could be there into the next day trying to get a finish on it. He could up the cement in the mix use a 3000 or 3500 psi mix and or a plasticizer. But if he has no experience with plasticizers now isn't the time for him to start. The higher percent cement and lack of water will make it kick and make it stronger.

If your using a true etch to finish your floor I wouldn't swett the cal. A true etch is a chemical reaction and will have to be neutralized (usually with a baking soda solution). This is probably the only way I would "stain" a floor in my home. It will bring life to the concrete rather than just a color.
The only reason I'm concerned...

http://www.concretedecor.net/all_access/505/CD505_Mixtures-Additives.cfm

I'm going to use Kemiko etching stain. It is a true chemical reaction, If you take time to read the article it specifically states that calcium can affect/diminish the reaction.

...and I disagree about corrosion being a non-issue. It isn't an issue I'm really concerned with though.

Keep in mind there are non calcium accelerators out there that won't affect what I want to do. The redi-mix plants and contractors don't use it for 2 reasons

it's more money

Concrete guys are like every other trade...

"we've always done it that way".  Wink

perspective

DucNaked

« Reply #96340 on: October 29, 2011, 12:49:48 PM »

“It's very common for decorative concrete guys to just increase the cement content by 100 pounds and just call it a day,” Collins says. “That will have the same effect.”
This  waytogo
Might cost $40

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #96341 on: October 29, 2011, 12:56:38 PM »

“It's very common for decorative concrete guys to just increase the cement content by 100 pounds and just call it a day,” Collins says. “That will have the same effect.”
This  waytogo
Might cost $40

I'm gonna talk to him and see what he'll do. I completely understand his point about not being able to finish it because of temps and I'm not looking for cheap. I'll gladly pay for the extra cement in the mix.

I just don't want to get to the floor staining part and have it not work.

I'd be really really pissed...

because T would be really really pissed. Grin

How's your shoulder?

perspective

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #96342 on: October 29, 2011, 01:37:12 PM »

That's still a possibility....  Wink

If he helps pay for tuition, room and board...   laughingdp

Thanks, Zombie Buddy!   Smiley

bacon

Well, I'd consider sending you to school, but it would be machinist school.

Now, room and board. . .

I'll give you a cot and blanket and you can sleep at the shop.  You can also park your bike in there.  As far as board goes, there's another business up front that does a lot of dried fruit and nut packaging (think trail mix)  You may raid them, and blame it on mice.

Grin

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #96343 on: October 29, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »

Hey Gang... 

Thanks Bick...  Wink waytogo

I've been pretty busy lately trying to get my life in order.  I'm looking for a new place to live, as I was asked to leave my current living situation (I have about a month to do so).

I'm looking to go back to school to change careers, because even with a "Teacher Of The Year" award and many accolades from parents and other teachers, I got a whopping 2% raise.  That doesn't even cover cost of living increase. Sad   The standard raise used to be 5% if you ticked all the boxes. I've ticked all the boxes and added a few boxes of my own...  I want to be able to support a family someday, and making shy of 30K as a teacher in Kalifornia ain't getting the job done.  With more and more cutbacks in education every year, it doesn't look like things are going to change anytime soon.  boo

The dilemma is, do I get a place to live, then have to move again within a month or two depending on where I get accepted to a school?  Do I just move back to Connecticut and stay with my folks and only apply to schools there?  I'm thinking about becoming an RN.  There's a huge demand and there's job security.  I'd also be able to make a salary that would allow me support a family if I wanted... (I do). 

I'm trying (halfheartedly) to sell the 999 so I can afford to go back to school/move/afford a place to live.  I got a bunch of other stuff I need to sell too, as I probably can't take it all with me.  Tongue

So, that's pretty much what's going on...

Oh, and my Papa just had shoulder surgery.  The joint had deteriorated to the point where he had pretty much lost all function in his right arm.  Sad   They had to entirely rebuild the whole shoulder structure.  They cut off the top half of his upper arm bone and pounded a metal stake with a ball on the end down through the center of the remaining bone.  Then they cut away most of the other half of the shoulder joint and welded/glued/attached a plastic and Teflon cup in there.  They snapped everything back together like Legos.  The upside is that the surrounding bone and muscle tissue had no deterioration.  waytogo  The Doc said the bones and muscles looked like those of a 30 year-old.  Smiley  So, it looks like it will be 6-8 months of intense therapy to get him back to around 75% mobility.  But, 75% is a whole lot better than what he had before... 

So, that's weighing on my mind too... Do I move back to CT to help my Mom take care of my Dad, and go to school there?  That seems like the most sensible idea, but over the last (almost) 8 years I've built a new life for myself in CA.   

So, thanks for asking about me, y'all.  Smiley  I'm sure my answer was a bit more than you bargained for, huh...   Wink 

chug

bacon
-Ryan

thing is, your dad's gonna be OK, you OK, health wise, if you need to leave the idilic weather of CA to go back to CT, and sorry to say it this way, save some on a place to live, while you bunk at your parents ... so be it, look for schools there ...

Now, if you're a teacher with a degree, send me a pm and lemme see if the schools where diplomat kids and very wealthy kids go to here have an opening and how mucha they pay ... interested in 10 months of rain, $500/month for a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom / 1 parking apartment? ... lemme know ...

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
DucNaked

« Reply #96344 on: October 29, 2011, 02:18:10 PM »

I'm gonna talk to him and see what he'll do. I completely understand his point about not being able to finish it because of temps and I'm not looking for cheap. I'll gladly pay for the extra cement in the mix.

I just don't want to get to the floor staining part and have it not work.

I'd be really really pissed...

because T would be really really pissed. Grin

How's your shoulder?

He should be able to finish it if he's willing to put in the time. If he's planning on pouring Monday it should be all set up now and ready to go.

Don't piss off T!! It's to early in the process... There will plenty of time for that later. Grin

Shoulder is doing good.  waytogo Better than I expected . Had to stop the pain meds after the first day, they were making me sick. boo

Pages: 1 ... 6421 6422 [6423] 6424 6425 ... 14331   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: