Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 10:32:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Check Signal Flasher is Working?  (Read 1915 times)
Markus

« on: May 14, 2008, 11:06:22 AM »

Hi -
I've been trying to install a set of LED signals on my 2000 M900ie with no success. Had a problem with the Clear Alternatives flasher unit I matched to the LEDs so I reinstalled the factory flasher (3-pin black box marked w/ Guilera). I reinstalled the factory unit and reattached the stock signals (all 4 bulbs work, I checked that) and nothing happens. I put a load meter on the flasher and I am getting 12v when I engage the turn signal switch L or R but no lights actually come on and the unit does not click. However, when i turn the ignition switch to "on" there is a single click from the flasher unit. Is my stock flasher unit toast? Is there some other way to check if the stock flasher unit is toast other than reattaching the 4 bulbs?
Thanks.
Mark

2000 M966Sie
2007 ST3s ABS
www.eastcoastducaticlub.com
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:48:39 PM »

Hi -
I've been trying to install a set of LED signals on my 2000 M900ie with no success. Had a problem with the Clear Alternatives flasher unit I matched to the LEDs so I reinstalled the factory flasher (3-pin black box marked w/ Guilera). I reinstalled the factory unit and reattached the stock signals (all 4 bulbs work, I checked that) and nothing happens. I put a load meter on the flasher and I am getting 12v when I engage the turn signal switch L or R but no lights actually come on and the unit does not click. However, when i turn the ignition switch to "on" there is a single click from the flasher unit. Is my stock flasher unit toast? Is there some other way to check if the stock flasher unit is toast other than reattaching the 4 bulbs?
Thanks.
Mark

Assuming the bike still has the original flasher, ground terminal 31, apply 12V to terminal 49 (brown/black) wire.  the remaining terminal (terminal 49 purple wire) needs to go through a load (bulb or resister will do) the relay should click.  Or you could go the easy route.  Any cheap automotive 3 prong relay will work with the stock signals, just go buy one.
Markus

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 03:54:15 AM »

Assuming the bike still has the original flasher, ground terminal 31, apply 12V to terminal 49 (brown/black) wire.  the remaining terminal (terminal 49 purple wire) needs to go through a load (bulb or resister will do) the relay should click.  Or you could go the easy route.  Any cheap automotive 3 prong relay will work with the stock signals, just go buy one.

Thanks Howie! It's the original flasher. I'll try running a current through it as per your suggestion. That said, I'll probably just end up at NAPA and spend the $10 on a new one anyway.
 Grin

______

Edit: I just picked up a generic 3-prong flasher from Canadian Tire, plugged it in, and it worked. Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:53:30 AM by Markus » Logged

2000 M966Sie
2007 ST3s ABS
www.eastcoastducaticlub.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: