Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 08:47:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OMRRA #39 Race Report (semi long)  (Read 3506 times)
Visolara

Jacobs Love Meat

« on: May 14, 2008, 12:15:28 PM »

Wow, another great OMRRA weekend.  First, I want to thank OMRRA, the corner workers, all the volunteers, my team, pit crew, pit friends, and wonderful girlfriend!  Without you, I would not be able to do this sport that I love in my own backyard!

The weekend actually started for me on Thursday with CTT, it was wet, and cold, and I really didn't feel so hot.  I only got out for one session in the afternoon when it was a little warmer, and generally dry.  Friday however, was a different story.  This was CTT's 30 minute session days, and man, that's a crap load of seat time to be had.  I got out for most of the sessions, tried working on some stuff, mostly entry into T1 and T7 where I think I can do better.  I tried playing with Dave Wallway and Geoff Ford, but I just couldn't hold the pace with them.  Its strange, on track days I think I'm 5 or so seconds slower the race days, not sure why.  Is this common?  After the track day, I helped with the AirFence then headed home for much needed rest.

Saturday came, I was really sore from Fridays trackday so I just made sure everyone else in my pit area was taken care of, and worked T5 for ToR.  It was a great day for ToR, and we had a decent showing.  Headed home about half way into the endurance race to rest for Sunday.

Sunday came, and it looked great in the morning, this wouldn't last long.  Smiley

Race One:  Middleweight Supersport - 7th place finish
I didn't have very good starting positions based on my poor performance and crash from the first race weekend, I gridded in the last row, G3.  I feel pretty strong with my starts, so it didn't bother me to much, I figured I could get by a few riders and settle into the pack somewhere closer to the front, or so I thought.  Smiley  Flag dropped and I lofted the front, then again, and finally got the bike under control and found myself entering T1 in I think last place.  I waited for the riders in front of me to settle into their lines, and started passing.  I got by a few riders, then a few more and found myself alone in the  middle of the pack, I could see Dave Wallway in front of me, but I couldn't catch him.  I finished in 7th, 18 seconds behind Dave. 

Race Two:  450 Superbike - 2nd place finish
Starting position again wasn't the best, but I felt ok with my starting and would put a little more weight on the front end this time.  Smiley   Everyone but Chris Burgess was on race dots, this made me feel good knowing most were all on the same playing field.  The flag dropped, and I got an ok start.  By the end of the first lap the rain had started, there was a glare to the track that said "yes, I'm wet!" and people started taking it a bit slower.  by the time we completed our first lap and entered T1 again, there was a pack of 5 bikes immediately in front of me semi bunched together, after following them around T1/T2, I took a wide line around T3 and got 3 or 4 of them, then another down he back  straight.  The next lap, I got passed in T1/T2 by I think all the bikes I previously passed, I tried the Ol' T3 outside move again, but Mark Bothe was to smart for that one and closed the door on me.  Smiley  I waited for T4 and they all took a tighter line, so I held up and took a late entry and passed 4 bikes in T4/T5 and settled in behind my bud Dave Wallway.  For the next lap, I followed him around T1 to T4 and got a decent (wet) drive out of T4/T5/T6 and pass him on the back straight.  I see the next rider (tho it didn't register who he was), and Dave and I get by him.  The next 4 or 5 laps were a blast with Dave and I changing positions back and forth as safely as we can to avoid dumping the bikes in the wet.  Finally, we caught some back markers (Tyson) on the back straight, Dave took the inside line, and I took the outside, well Tyson blessed me as he drifted in front of Dave and gave me the line to pass.  I didn't see Dave again for the remainder of the race.  At this point I had no clue where I was in the positions, I couldn't tell the difference between backmarkers and guys in front of me so I just did my best to keep the bike upright.  There was a dry line showing up now, and I was really driving hard down the front and back straights to hold my position.  Race ended and to my surprise, I was in second place!!  Wow, what a rush, my pit was going crazy, and I was in awe!  The "tho it didn't register" rider was Brian Pinkstaff! and if there was one more lap, he would have caught and passed me as he was running about 3 seconds a lap faster then I was.  This was my first real rain race and it was actually pretty fun feeling the bike drift (front and back wheels) in different corners.  To me it was like "one slight bad input and your on your ass" type riding.  Smiley

Race Three:  Middleweight Superbike - DNF
This race had a little more prep then the previous, in that I was scowering the pits to see what everyone was running for tires.  The weather was in between rain, clouds, with a little sun here and there.  I think everyone waited until the very last minute to make the decision, but rains were chosen.  My pit kicked ass to get the rains on as quick as possible for me.  Now I have never ran rains before, so I had no idea what kind of "feel" I would get from them.  We go out and line up, again I am in grid G2 or something at the back.  I get a decent start and get into T1.  I did a lap and the tires definitely have a different feedback then I'm used too, kind of a grip then give, then grip sensation, its totally strange to me.  I press on watching the front runners pull away, I feel I can push a little harder on the rains, so I do.  I feel the rains gripping in a strange mentally challenging way (its wet, they should slide damn it!), I think it was lap 4 or 5 and I was a little behind Dave Wallway and dumped the bike in T4.  I have photos of the crash, I thought I lost the front, but the pictures lead me to believe I may have spun the back up.  In any case, I went down and watched the rest of the race from T5.  I rode the bike back to the pits after the race.  Got my second DNF of the season.  I need to work on those.  Smiley

In the end, it was an unbelievable weekend.  I got a podium, crashed, and had some of the best times on the track ever.   The SV class is so much fun, the level of skill is impressive, and I see myself getting stronger and stronger with each weekend.  Thanks again to everyone who has helped me in one way or another, I am on cloud nine atm.  Smiley

Maurice

Maurice Miller
2009 OMRRA Rider Representative

OMRRA #39
WMRRA #39
Dark Horse Racing

Race Supporters -
Noel Communications, Inc. , 2Fast Motorcycle Track Days & Instruction , KBC Helmets , EDR Performance , Cascade Tracktime , GP Suspension North , KFG Dunlop LLC , LP Privateer , Dainese , AMS Oil

| 2006 Ducati 749S (street) | 2004 Suzuki SV650S (race) | 2002 Aprilia Mille (race) |
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 01:14:42 PM »

Your T-4 looked great all day. I didn't see you go down, but any crash you can ride back, must not have been that bad.  Grin  You guys all look great out there.

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
desmosome

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 02:32:01 PM »

Again, nice job Mo.

Podium and a trophy!

Can I get a link to your crash pics?
Visolara

Jacobs Love Meat

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 02:37:27 PM »

Not sure why, but this board is giving me grief with posting pictures.  Trying to post some of this past weekend.

Me in T4 pushing pretty hard!

T4 with me in front of a little traffic

You can really see the rain coming down in this pic!  This is race #2

Maurice Miller

OMRRA #39
WMRRA #39
Dark Horse Racing

Race Supporters -
Noel Communications, Inc. , 2Fast Motorcycle Track Days & Instruction , KBC Helmets , EDR Performance , Cascade Tracktime , GP Suspension North , KFG Dunlop LLC , LP Privateer , Dainese , AMS Oil

| 2006 Ducati 749S (street) | 2004 Suzuki SV650S (race) | 2002 Aprilia Mille (race) |
Visolara

Jacobs Love Meat

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 02:39:41 PM »

Does this link to PhotBucket take you where you need to go?  I'm new to this whole share your life in pictures on the internet thing.  I would just rather have Jacob hold my junk.

Maurice

Maurice Miller

OMRRA #39
WMRRA #39
Dark Horse Racing

Race Supporters -

desmosome

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »

Cool... thanks  waytogo

It does look like your rear got away...is that what you remember?
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »

Jacob holding his junk... and this is where his rear got away... am I in the right thread?  laughingdp

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
Visolara

Jacobs Love Meat

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 03:02:06 PM »

its hard to remember, honestly.  Its a strange mind-set while your out there, at least for me.  I dont get excited, I'm not breathing heavy, Im just riding, its kind of weird.  From what I can remember, I went into T4 like I had the previous few laps, and the bike went down, now from my immediate recollection, I tucked the front, but from looking at those pics, it looks more like I may have spun the back up and out instead.  So I dont really know.  Smiley

Oh, and the camera I had mounted only caught me pulling out of the pits, then it shut itself off.  Sad

Maurice

edit: not sure why I put "not breaking heavy" it should have read breathing.  :p

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:59:23 PM by Visolara » Logged

Maurice Miller

OMRRA #39
WMRRA #39
Dark Horse Racing

Race Supporters -

Visolara

Jacobs Love Meat

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 03:08:05 PM »

Jacob holding his junk... and this is where his rear got away... am I in the right thread?  laughingdp

Jacob got my rear a long time ago.  Now he doesnt even call anymore...

Maurice Miller

OMRRA #39
WMRRA #39
Dark Horse Racing

Race Supporters -

krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »

Nice write up. waytogo

I saw someone from OMRRA picking up the weekend's trophies from Crown Trophy in Beaverton, that's on my route now. Cool

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: