Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 18, 2024, 05:23:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sooo??  (Read 2062 times)
SR1K_Femme

TWINS Basil, TWINS!!

« on: March 06, 2009, 11:13:27 PM »

When do you guys REALLY get your 7500 mileage service??  Being unemployed and hovering around the 7330 mileage mark, is it REALLY necessary to bring it in and have them look over the bike?!  What's all done at the mileage check anyway, anything I can do by myself and not charge a few $100?!

Comments, concerns ideas?!  Lol..  thanks in advance!!

"Why, so serious!?"
8 lives

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 01:15:40 AM »

funny you should ask this question.  I am getting my 7500 mile service performed next week.  I have a 07 M695 with about 7700 miles on it.  They quoted me roughly $570 for the service and another $200 for the belts that should replaced every two years.  I think everyone on this board should be able to save a few bucks by changing the oil themselves.  Besides that i know this service is a whole lot of checking, tightening, and adjusting.  Perhaps i could of saved me some money by figuring out how to do some of that but i think i will just leave it to the the professionals so i know its done right.  Oh also found out when i was there today they have been trying to find me because my warranty was going to expire this month.  Service manager said they like to inspect the bike at the two year mark to see if there is any warranty work they can perform.  No doubt they will also take this time to find things not covered by the warranty that need to be done also. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:20:18 AM by 8 lives » Logged

I like my bikes like i like my women, naked!!!
SaltLick
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 07:34:59 AM »

im at the 12K service mark too. Im going to ride my bike through this summer then take it in to chesire next winter for the service. Get a little done at a time, 200 bucks here, 300 bucks there so it doesnt make such an impact on my wife.
krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 09:37:38 AM »

The big 2 items are the valve check & belt replacement. 

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
SR1K_Femme

TWINS Basil, TWINS!!

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:56:30 PM »

Crap, doesn't sound like anything I can do on my own. Well tightening yes, but then I'd have to know what to look for to do so.  Sad 

Well I wonder if they take a payment installment plan?!  Lol

"Why, so serious!?"
krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 01:01:54 PM »

Both could be done during a maintenance day with a little help from the usual bunch of fools.  Just don"t let Mo torque any bolts for you. Grin

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
SR1K_Femme

TWINS Basil, TWINS!!

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 03:17:39 PM »

Well then sign me up for 'maintenance day' with the 'fools'.  Woohoo!!  Um, should I even bother to ask why Mo shouldn't tighten bolts?

"Why, so serious!?"
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 03:24:03 PM »

Well then sign me up for 'maintenance day' with the 'fools'.  Woohoo!!  Um, should I even bother to ask why Mo shouldn't tighten bolts?

He has Mo-rilla strength and will either bend the wrench in half or stip all your bolts out.

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
SR1K_Femme

TWINS Basil, TWINS!!

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 03:50:21 PM »

Yes well then.. ex-nay on the Mo-ay tightening bolt-ays.  What can I say.. I'm a bit sleep deprived right now. Lol

"Why, so serious!?"
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 01:26:06 AM »

The 900SS is due for the 12k.

MC quoted me a grand.

I'm doin' it myself.

Granted, engine internals don't intimidate me.  Belts on a 2-valve Duc should be relatively easy.  I'll probably have a professional check the belt tension after I'm done, but that's only because I don't have Ducati's fancy (and expensive) tool.  The valve shim check will be a little more challenging, just because of the precision required (and I'm still not sure how I'm gonna get my hands down in there around the rear cylinder head), but again... we're talking about a 2-valve engine that's more accessible than most others I've seen.  God knows I never want to touch the valvetrain on a newer Honda.  bang head  Step 1: disassemble the whole bloody motorcycle...

<rant>
To all present and future vehicle engineers, I have one word: ACCESSIBILITY!!!
If it can't be worked on in the average garage, it's a crappy design.
</rant>

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: