Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 17, 2024, 02:23:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chuckles, I would like to introduce you to your new love.  (Read 1514 times)
Visolara

Jacobs Love Meat

« on: March 13, 2009, 02:56:41 PM »

Clackity Clackity Clackity

Maurice Miller
2009 OMRRA Rider Representative

OMRRA #39
WMRRA #39
Dark Horse Racing

Race Supporters -
Noel Communications, Inc. , 2Fast Motorcycle Track Days & Instruction , KBC Helmets , EDR Performance , Cascade Tracktime , GP Suspension North , KFG Dunlop LLC , LP Privateer , Dainese , AMS Oil

| 2006 Ducati 749S (street) | 2004 Suzuki SV650S (race) | 2002 Aprilia Mille (race) |
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 04:17:39 PM »

He test rode a VFR today.... I think he is going all Honda on us.

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
NEIKOS
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 06:25:38 PM »

Sweet Mary Mother of Jesus and a speckled whore to boot!

The exact opposite of what I was looking for in my next street bike but . . .

<sigh>

BASTARD!  cheeky
NEIKOS
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 06:39:28 PM »

He test rode a VFR today.... I think he is going all Honda on us.

You know . . . the only thing that came to mind when I was trying to explain the VFR to Wifezilla was smooth.  Certainly nothing . . .  I don't know.  It's a nice bike BUT it's . . . vanilla if that makes sense.

At one stop Ryan was revving the Multi and I revved the VFR.  Completely, totally, utterly different sounds - deep, resonating, glorious motor vs. blender on high.

For what I have been planning ride wise though and for commuting it is the best option.  Then I could mod Lili the way I want  . . .

Gah!
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 02:43:01 PM »

You cross the Triumph off your list, Chuck?

VFRs... really nice bikes, but based on recent personal experience, don't try to work on it.  bang head

I concur with the vanilla sentiment.  In my experience, most Honda vehicles (cars & bikes) tend to be that way.  Pleasantly predictable... to the point of being boring.

The fit and finish on Hondas tends to be excellent.  They're very well-made.  But man, if/when something needs fixed, it's like everything is tied into everything else.  To remove the throttle cables on the CBR I had to remove almost all of the forward bodywork, in order to get the tank cover off, so that I could remove the airbox lid, so that I could remove the upper fuel injector rail, so I could remove the lower airbox lid, then I had to lift the fuel tank so I could remove the throttle body venturis from the lower airbox, so I could remove the lower airbox, so I could finally get to the damned throttle cables.  And that's ignoring the hijinks I had to pull with the wiring harness to get it out of the way.  Keep in mind... half the bodywork was gone anyway because of the wreck.  It still took half a day just to get in there.  Oh, and Honda bodywork is a bloody Rubik's cube.  Where Ducati uses simple fasteners that can be unscrewed, Honda has a bunch of plastic snaps and interlocking edges.

I don't want to change the oil on that 600RR, either.  The filter is hidden back behind the header, and I have to remove the coolant reservoir to even get to it from the side.  That'll be fun.  Tongue

So yeah... incredible engineering, but you don't want to work on it yourself.  Even if I don't have to sell the CBR for financial reasons, I don't think it'll be the long-term trackbike.  I'd rather have another Duc.  They may be cantankerous and high-maintenance, but they're designed to be opened up and worked on.

Anyway... not meant to be a total downer on Hondas.  If you're willing to just take it to the shop and let them service it, they're great riding machines, the fit and finish is excellent, and they're very reliable.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: