Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 17, 2024, 04:19:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suspension Thingy Kinda Place/People  (Read 8971 times)
NEIKOS
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 10:54:08 AM »

Thanks.  I got it on a jack and Jack stands/metal bar with everything holding up pretty well.

Got another problem though.  I just stripped the head of a hex nut and can't get it out!  Holding the last fork on and holding up all other operations.

I'm trying JB Weld and the hex key to see if they'll hold together enough to get it out.

Anyone else got ideas?
NEIKOS
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 12:41:12 PM »

Hey Mom . . . can I change my mind and borrow your thingy after all?  I used a metal T-square to get that danged thing out but it took FOREVAH and getting the torque setting right well . . .

So if'n I may I'd like to borrow the tool to put it back in.

Pretty please?  bow down
NEIKOS
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 01:49:09 PM »

Well . . . my bearings weren't flat.  But they weren't rolling either.

Hmmmm . . . brown stuff?
http://gallery.me.com/orducrider/100122/IMG_2285.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12383630440001

What kinda grease is that?
http://gallery.me.com/orducrider/100122/IMG_2287/web.jpg?ver=12383630580001

Rust?  Really?  Now what?
http://gallery.me.com/orducrider#100122/IMG_2288&bgcolor=black

Is it as simple as cleaning up the rust, greasing up the new parts, and reassembling?  Or are there other issues?
scott_araujo

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »

Ick!!  Well, those are supposed to be perfect sphere's so if they're pitted with rust they're not.  If it's light surface rust you might be able to get away with cleaning them all off, cleaning the races, re-grease, re-assemble.  If not, you're looking at new bearings and new bearing races.

I'd say clean it all up as best you can and inspect.  If it doesn't look too bad grease and re-assemble.  Torque it up and see how it feels.  If it feels loose anywhere, binds anywhere, isn't silky smooth when it moves, you need new parts.  Remember, this is what keeps the bike going where you point it a t mach speed so if there's any doubt, there is no doubt.  Get new parts if you have to.

If nothing else you've convinced me that it's worth taking mine apart for inspection and regreasing.  Good luck Chuck.

Scott
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 05:32:25 PM by scott_araujo » Logged
NEIKOS
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 05:40:17 PM »

I got new - really super cool - Speedy Moto bearings.  It's the remaining metal being left behind I'm concerned about.

Is cleaning it and coating it with WD-40 gonna be OK to remove the surface rust and move on with life?
scott_araujo

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 05:44:54 PM »

Hmmm.....

The official Ducati 620 manual says to never re-use the seals or bearings and always install new components.  While never reusing the bearings may be overkill maybe it applies in your case.  Glad you've got new bearing. 

Where is this surface rust you're worried about?  On the steering shaft?  In the bearing races?  If the races are pitted they may need replacemtn.  If it's just on the steering shaft rub it down with steel wool and coat it with axle grease to help prevent any further rust.

Scott
NEIKOS
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 05:53:35 PM »

Yah on the shaft.

You make it sound so dirty when you explain it.  Tongue
scott_araujo

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2009, 07:30:02 PM »

Hey, you're the one with a rusty shaft and balls from neglect.
Bendy

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 05:13:32 PM »

Yeah, Chuck. For the love of God, use some lube.
Mother
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2009, 07:04:59 PM »

Hey chuck

What you are seeing is normal for stock Ducati bearings and grease exposed to our wonderful weather

I replaced mine with Duc bearings and torqued to enough pressure to flick the bars back and forth with a finger, making sure that there wasn't any slop when the bike is on a stand with the front end free

Not perfect but it worked for me

For the bearing tool, i just used a large C-clip plyer with a vice grip atatched

NEIKOS
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 11:36:21 AM »

Which one of you wonderful people with a trailer would like some free food and drink?  Wink

I need to get my bike delivered tomorrow or Thursday because with the race weekend and all it's the only time I can in order to get my bike in for it's appointment.  Unless someone wants to take the morning 14th off . . .

Anyway.  If any of y'all are willing to help me trailer Lili let me know.  Free food and drink after - my treat!

Thanks for listening!
Mother
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 04:24:15 PM »

dont give in chuck

you can finish this project

I have faith in you
scott_araujo

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2009, 07:25:20 AM »

Hey Chuck, since you just took yours apart maybe you could answer a question.  I'm going to have the forks off to so I'd like to grease the head bearings while I'm there.  Although the manual says you should replace the bearings and seals every time you take them out, that seems excessive, at least for the bearings.  If they look good they go back in.  BUT, did you see anything on the seals that would indicate they are one time parts?  Do they tear coming out or anything?  Or do you think I could reassemble without problems?  I know you got your sexy new bearings, I'm cheap.  I'd rather just grease up what's there finances being what they are.  Also, any trouble re-assembling without the special tool for that 8 hole fastener on top?

Thanks, and glad to hear Lily is back on the road.

Scott
NEIKOS
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2009, 08:55:17 AM »

The top seal slips right off.  The bottom one is under the bottom bearings and that thing ain't moving without some extra effort.  Neither tore, shredded, or slipped during removal.

Where's it say to replace them every time you take them out?  I read and re-read the manual several times and didn't see that - different manuals perhaps?

My sexy new bearings were $60 bucks at Cheshire not cheap but maybe not too expensive for a cheap guy either  Grin

Ummmm . . . yah without knowing how you plan on putting it back on I'd say there were/are issues.  We found using "Jacob's Tool" that we were expanding the ring and binding yoke so we weren't able to tighten it down so easily.  It was much easier using 2 punches and a wrench for leverage.  I found if you put the round/circle end of the wrench over one punch and wedged the wrench down as low as possible it allowed for maximum leverage it was a slow process regardless.

That being said - DUDE you live like 3.475 miles from me.  Come and borrow the shmancy tool!  It works sooooo much better!  Oh, and you can actually use a torque wrench with the tool to get it on Goldilocks right!  waytogo

You got my cell?  Call?  Or I'll check back in an hour or so . . . never mind I'll PM it to you.  Call me if you want to borrow it.
scott_araujo

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2009, 11:02:40 AM »

Ah!  Didn't know you had the schmancy tool.  I'd appreciate it if I could borrow it.  Thanks.  Funny, I was totally ready to spend $40 and shipping on the tool but $60 for bearings sounds pricey.   It doesn't have to make sense.

I'm guessing I'll be doing this next weekend, family in town this week for the holiday but they leave Friday and the wife is gone that weekend.  No one to tell me how messy my desk looks so I'll be in the garage.  I'll give you a call sometime this week.

Scott
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: