Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:34:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FAQ: Wet v. Dry Clutch  (Read 54507 times)
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« on: March 15, 2009, 05:48:21 PM »

Monsters either come with a wet clutch or a dry clutch.  Not sure what that means?  Read on . . .

What is the difference between a wet clutch and a dry clutch?

Wet clutch.  A wet clutch is sealed from the outside and the clutch plates are bathed in oil.  Hence, it’s a “wet” clutch.  Almost all bikes—including pretty much all Japanese brands—have wet clutches.  

Dry clutch.  A dry clutch does not have any oil in it or between the clutch plates.  If you take off the cover to a dry clutch, you can see the clutch spinning around.  They make a loud clacking sound that grows louder and louder as the clutch wears.  Dry clutches are a signature of Ducati bikes, though not all Ducatis have them.  In fact, the DMF logo is made to look like a dry clutch.  There are some non-Ducatis out there with dry clutches as well, but you’re unlikely to come across them.  Here's Juan's:

What are the pros/cons of a dry and a wet clutch?

A wet clutch requires less maintenance, is quiet, and has an easier pull and less bite on engagement.  In fact, the APTC slipper clutch (a special kind of wet clutch) on the 620, 695 and s2r 800 significantly reduces the effort to engage in the clutch even when compared to a standard wet clutch.  The downsides to a wet clutch?  No cool Ducati dry clutch rattle.  And it’s harder to change out clutch plates.

Dry clutches come from the racetrack, where people need to switch out clutches often.  They’re easier to change out, and are much louder as the plates smack against one another with no liquid between them.  As the clutches grow older, they'll get louder and louder.  In some cases they grow so loud that they compete with aftermarket exhausts as a noise source.  Many Ducati enthusiasts love the sound of a dry clutch, though they often lead bystanders to ask whether the bike is broken.  With a dry clutch, you can also run and open clutch cover (or no clutch cover) which allows people to see the clutch in action.  Folks often add blingy pressure plates so that you can watch the shuny bits spin and rattle.   A dry clutch requires more maintenance, can be (too) loud, and is often hand cramping in traffic.  Many people remedy the hand cramping by adding an aftermarket slave cylinder.  Dry clutches also grab more upon engagement.

What is the difference between an open clutch and a dry clutch?

An open clutch is a dry clutch where someone has partially or completely taken off the clutch cover, or changed out the clutch cover, leaving the clutch exposed.  Here are some examples.

How can I tell if my bike has a wet clutch?

• You can look at the cover on the right side.  If there are bolts (5 of ‘em) that allow you take off the cover, it’s a dry clutch.  If not (you’ll see 4 bolts), it’s a wet clutch.  
  • You can hear the difference as well.  They sound very different.  A dry clutch clacks.  A wet clutch does not.
  • You can also tell by the model.  The smaller displacement monsters have wet clutches and the larger displacement monsters have dry clutches.
    Wet clutch models:   400 (Japan), 600, 620, 695, 696, 750, 800 and S2R.  
    Dry clutch models:   900, 1000DS, s2r1000, 1100, s4, S4r, S4rs, S4rt

Can I keep my stock cover but make my dry clutch louder?

Sure.  You can take off the clutch cover and the rubber gasket.  Then put some washers between the cover and the engine case and reinstall the clutch cover.  It’ll let some of the dry clutch sound out, but will look almost the same as it did before.  

Can I make my dry clutch quieter?

Yes, but I'm not going to tell you how.  That's blasphemy.  <grumble>  Fine, ok, I'll tell ya.  Here's one option.

Is a dry clutch the same as a slipper clutch?

No.  They're completely different animals.  A slipper clutch allows the clutch to slip if you bang a hard downshift.  It prevents rear wheel lock-up.  But slipper clutches don't have anything to do with whether the clutch is wet or dry.  Slipper clutches are common in racing and cost $$$ if you install an aftermarket one.  Some bikes come stock with them, others don't.  (the APTC "slipper" in some 620s, the 695 and the s2r 800 is sort of a slipper clutch, but that's a different story).  

What are my cosmetic options if my Ducati has a wet clutch?

You can paint the clutch cover or install a clear window or find some other cool mod that doesn't involve drilling a hole in your clutch cover and letting all the oil out.   A lot of folks ask if it is possible to convert a wet clutch to a dry clutch.   The short answer is that it is possible (a few have done it), but it’s not cost effective.  For the price, you can often upgrade to a larger displacement engine or bike that comes with a dry clutch.  There's another, more labor-intensive way of getting that dry clutch sound, as shown in the video below.   laughingdp

ducati 848

Is dirt/water/rain a problem for an open dry clutch?

Not really.  The clutch spins fast enough and gets hot enough when the bike is running that dirt and water are not really an issue.  Most folks will tell you that they run an open clutch in the rain with no problems whatsoever.  The one place I've personally had problems is washing the bike.  You have to be sure to start it up afterward to blow out the water so that your wet clutch plates don't stick together when you start it up the next day.  If they do, it's no problem.  It just takes a moment for them to break free of one another.  (Tip:  If you've just washed your bike, watch out for clutch spray.  Hold a rag near--but not over--the clutch when you start it up.  Otherwise, your freshly washed bike will get sprayed by all the muck still inside the clutch).  Also, the stock springs will rust eventually with an open dry clutch.  You can replace them with stainless springs and resolve the problem.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 08:44:06 AM by Spidey » Logged

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
Snips

where's my Titanium Member gone?

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 12:41:48 AM »

Thanks for the FAQ, Spidey.

Is there any problem with dirt / water getting i through an open dry clutch cover?

Cheers,
Nige (ex-MOB guy)

2009 red Monster 1100s
2008 red Monster 696+ - sold
2006 red Monster 620 - sold
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:44:56 AM »

Thanks for the FAQ, Spidey.

Is there any problem with dirt / water getting i through an open dry clutch cover?

Cheers,
Nige (ex-MOB guy)

Good question.  I'll add it to the FAQ.

It's not really a problem.  The clutch spins fast enough and gets hot enough that it's not really an issue.  Most will tell you that they run an open clutch in the rain with no problems whatsoever.  The one place I've personally had problems is washing the bike.  You have to be sure to start it up afterward to blow out the water so that your wet clutch plates don't stick together when you start it up the next day.  If they do, it's no problem.  It just takes a moment for them to break free of one another.  Also, the stock springs will rust eventually with an open dry clutch.  You can replace them with stainless springs and resolve the problem.

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:43:46 AM »

There are some non-Ducatis out there with dry clutches as well, but you’re unlikely to come across them. 

huh?

All Vtwin Guzzis have them

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:27:43 AM »

huh?

All Vtwin Guzzis have them

I was talking about motorcycles, not Big Wheels. 

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:37:16 AM »

I was talking about motorcycles, not Big Wheels. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
redmonsterryder

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 06:54:33 PM »

**Newbie Alert**So I have a 2003 620ie, which I learned has a wet clutch, meaning I shouldn't have any noise correct? Well, what if I'm still hearing a noise? What gives?
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 02:59:58 AM »

I'm guessing what you hear is normal mechanical noise from the engine - not necessarily from the clutch.
My noise is even and kind of high pitch - if yours rattle or "clunk" it wouldn't hurt to let professionals listen to it.

Even if we have wet clutches, we still have a little Ducati specific noise Cool

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
redmonsterryder

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 03:15:24 AM »

Does this mean that my 620ie clutch should be as quiet at a Jap sportbike? That would be lame.  Undecided
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 03:21:34 AM »

NOTHING on a Ducati is like a Jap bike Grin

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: