Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 08:30:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109246 times)
J.P.

« on: March 16, 2009, 01:12:55 PM »

Just wondering if this is a common problem.
Thanks!
J.P. in VA Beach

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
Alexandre
Monstro

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 01:19:24 PM »

no boobies?
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »

noobs    Roll Eyes

laughingdp

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
pennyrobber

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:27:42 PM »

This poll is truely flawed.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:41:48 PM »

What is it "they" put in your US gas - and why?

Norway, Europe - never heard of this problem locally Huh?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
J.P.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 01:57:02 PM »

"They " decided to put good old American Corn in the tanks. It's politics.
Pennyrobber- what's wrong, I'll fix it!

c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 02:07:22 PM »

Transcribed from 'Outdoor Life' magazine, the following article was written to educate boat owners of the impact our 'new' fuels are having on marine motors.  As the fuel we use in our motorcycles is the same, and the mechanics of the motor greatly similar it is likely that we are getting similar problems as boat owners, including tank distortions.  Note that the author refers to additives.  These are not octane boosters but stabilizers specifically meant to counter the effects of ethanol in fuel.

E= Exasperation Squared

Ethanol can make for expensive outboard repairs, unless you understand the chemistry.
By Terry Gibson

Last year, a change in diet- thanks to the recent addition of ethanol in Florida gasoline- made my super-reliable 2000 Suzuki HP sick as hell.  What an expensive mechanical misadventure!  I had the fuel line, filter and screens changed twice, which helped for about a week.  Then she seemed gas-starved again.  The new filter was already clogged up and full of water.  The screens and injectors were fouled, again.  When I took the boat in to St. Lucie Outboard Marine, my local Suzuki dealer, owners Bud and Vicky Tillman knew exactly what was causing the problem: ethanol.

OIL AND WATER
If you let ethanol sit in the tank for more than about eight weeks, especially in climates where there are dramatic swings in temperature and humidity, "phase separation" will occur.
Gasoline and ethanol molecules form a weak, or non-polar, bond.  Water and ethanol form a strong, polar bond.  Unless you keep the tank filled to the brim and add a fuel stabilizer, water molecules from condensation will bond with ethanol, break the weak bond with gasoline and drag the ethanol and its octane-enhancing benefits with it.  Deprived of the additive the now-weakened fuel will float to the surface.

GUMMED UP
Senior Honda Marine engineer Vernon Gabbert calls ethanol "an exceptional cleaner."  What a backhanded compliment!  It's a varnish that dissolves any gunk in the tank, including rust caused by condensation.  Ethanol even dissolves fiberglass fuel tanks, so if you're in the market, buy a boat with a metal tank.  If you buy a new boat or if ethanol is coming to a pump near you, have your mechanic drain the fuel and swab out the tank.  Otherwise, water and crud will foul the fuel system.  once they're in, no outboard, regardless of age, make or model, can run much above idle, if at all.

LOW OCTANE
All outboards are certified to run on e-10 fuels, unlike some cars, which can use the E-85 Flex Fuel.  E-10 fuel is also 28 percent less efficient than pure gasoline, and can cause outboards to bog down.  It loses even more juice as phase separation occurs.  If you run an E-10, 87-octane mix, you might experience knocking- a cause for other serious mechanical issues.  Exceeding 10 percent ethanol content can void the engine's warranty.  Spring for the highest-octane fuel you can find, and avoid additives with ethanol.

8 OUNCES OF PREVENTION
Since finding pure gasoline is becoming difficult, mechanics recommend keeping the laced fuel fresh and keeping screens and filters clean and water-free.  Clear Racor filters allow you to see when they need to be cleaned.
Keep your tank filled to the brim to reduce condensation, and add the fuel stabilizer Star Tron, by Starbrite, at each fill-up.  like microscopic Pac-Men, its between water and ethanol, preventing phase separation for up to one year.  It even rehabilitates degraded fuel- to a degree.  Its benefits are longer when you run your boat, because the enzymes spread throughout the tank when the fuel is sloshing around.

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
pennyrobber

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »

"They " decided to put good old American Corn in the tanks. It's politics.
Pennyrobber- what's wrong, I'll fix it!

I was just jumping on the "why is there no boobies option" band wagon.  waytogo I put in my vote in the poll though.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
J.P.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 02:35:58 PM »

I'd show you mine, but I doubt if you'd want to see a set of man-boobs.  Tongue

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »

I edited the poll to allow for multiple votes as my g/f's 620 has multiple issues with her plastic tank.   bang head  At least it's not leaking.....

(yet)

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
J.P.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 03:35:47 PM »

Cool- atleast it's not leaking...yet.
Wish we could add in the age of the bikes- mine didn't show any signs until 2.5 years old.

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »

I have 3500 miles on my S4RS and no problems yet, except that it isn't clear coated.  While removing the glue residue from the recently removed factory sticker on the tank my thumbnail scapped away a bit of the "white" racing stripe.   bang head

Oh, that, and I can't use a magnetic tank bag.   bang head

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Smokescreen

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 05:10:47 PM »

hey!  my magnetic tank bag won't stay on either!  Why isn't that on the poll

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary. 

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 05:16:25 PM »

plastic tanks have a bladder liner that is SUPPOSED to be impervious to ethanol....

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 08:49:54 PM »

Oh, that, and it only holds about 3 fluid ounces of gasoline (less when you factor in the ethynol).   bang head

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: