Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 03, 2024, 04:18:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: White ceramic coating on header?  (Read 2705 times)
Mash

« on: March 17, 2009, 05:09:59 PM »

On my wish list is a set of Zards.  When I get them, I'm going to have the pipes ceramic coated prior to installation.  I was wondering how porous the ceramic coating is, and if a white coating would quickly look like crap. For that matter, I wonder how anything other than black would hold up to road grime.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

'06 S2R1000
NAKID

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:30:04 PM »

I'm thinking the white won't stay white long regardless of how non-porous it is...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Triple J
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »

I can't imagine the white would stay white for long. Road grime plus intense heat = baked on crap. Even the black takes work to keep it looking good.
Mash

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 09:10:15 PM »

I've never laid hands on ceramic coating anything, so I wasn't sure if it was like powder coating, or more like flat paint. Thanks for the replies.

My car is silver, and right now, if you lean against it, you'll get pretty dirty.  from a distance it looks shiny and clean, but it's not. maybe I'll go with a natural aluminum color on the pipes for the same reason.

'06 S2R1000
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:56:56 AM »

I think you really ought to go with a good silver color over white. Think of road grime, bugs, oil, heat and white starts to look very unappealing. I've thought of getting a good silver, the same color as the stock rearsets.

ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 11:01:15 AM »

I have seen white ceramic coating on some "oldschool" styled bikes, and it never lasts.
I would go with a polished silver or black..

ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Joe
Member: Half Fast Chicago

http://www.HalfFastChicago.com
Smokescreen

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 11:27:51 AM »

It'd be pretty awesome if the JetCote was offered in a black chrome. 

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary. 

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »

I have a buddy who podercoats for a living (he is doing the stuff on my Ducati) , and he has been playing around with a ceramic/powder kinda coating. Looks like my bike is going to be the test bed, but one of the finishes he is working on is a black chrome coating for exhausts.. waytogo

ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Joe
Member: Half Fast Chicago

http://www.HalfFastChicago.com
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 12:15:34 PM »

I've done white and red ceramic coating -- looks stunning.  But in the real world of actually riding motorcycles it doesn't work.  Eventually pulled and recoated in satin black.  Most shops that I know that do the process will only for "show bikes" that aren't actually ridden. (ie: no warranty on the coating)

Mash

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 02:19:54 PM »

I've done white and red ceramic coating -- looks stunning.  But in the real world of actually riding motorcycles it doesn't work.  Eventually pulled and recoated in satin black.  Most shops that I know that do the process will only for "show bikes" that aren't actually ridden. (ie: no warranty on the coating)

Yeah, it seems like white headers would rule on a show bike, but I ride mine all the time, and it gets (and stays) dirty a lot.

'06 S2R1000
pw9990

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »

I have a set of Zards that are going in for ceramic coating as well, but was wondering if the heat process could damage the carbon fibre cans.
I am going with flat black for the reasons posted above. Any comments on the carbon fibre.

2007 s2r 800
Mash

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 07:03:13 PM »

I doubt you'd want the carbon fiber cans to be baked.  I remember reading another thread somewhere about drilling the rivets and removing the parts you want coated.  That's what I plan to do. 

'06 S2R1000
pw9990

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 03:47:13 AM »

I drilled the rivets and pulled apart the Zard cans last night. It went pretty well. Took about an hour to feel my way through the first one and a half hour or so for the second. You have to take off the motor side first with a rubber mallet then knock out the end caps with a rod through the can. A little WD helps as well.

Cheers
PW

2007 s2r 800
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 04:29:46 AM »

It'd be pretty awesome if the JetCote was offered in a black chrome. 

i had a set of pipes which were originally black chromed (elefant 650) redone in black with a gloss clear coat added, it was very close to the look, but not exact of course.. it was darker and less "mirror" if that makes sense.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Grug

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 10:29:22 PM »

i had a set of pipes which were originally black chromed (elefant 650) redone in black with a gloss clear coat added, it was very close to the look, but not exact of course.. it was darker and less "mirror" if that makes sense.

Do you have any photos of that by any chance? And can you get high-temp clear coat? That sounds like exactly the sort of look I'd like for my exhaust cans (which are currently chrome).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: